Old 05-14-2008, 04:21 PM
PETER EASTHOPE

Default the document "Sound in Debian GNU/Linux"

Folk,

This document,
"http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Sound_in_Debian_GNU/Linux#Some_applications_.28OSS_applications.29_pro duce_no_sound_in_AL"
in revision 1.2, 27th November 2007 states,
"... Rename the file instead: # mv /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.conf.obsolete

Now run alsaconf again and everything should work."

Well the system here is the latest lenny with kernel 2.6.24-1-686.
Neither /etc/modprobe.conf nor /etc/modprobe.conf.obsolete
exist in this system. Still, alsaconf must run each time
the system is started. Otherwise the on-board Intel sound
hardware is not useable.

"Run udevtrigger as user root: # udevtrigger --verbose"

Sorry but udevtrigger is no help!

"This should reload the modules you need. On next reboot, your system will find your soundcard."

No such luck.

"... If this does not work for you, please send a message to the [Debian-User list] with the details. "

Also, the C-Media based Altec Lansing USB audio adapter has
not worked for at least a month. Sound is a disaster area.

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
http://carnot.yi.org/
http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/

Old 05-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Nigel Henry

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 18:21, PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
> Folk,
>
> This document,
> "http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Sound_in_Debian_GNU/Linux#Some_applicatio
>ns_.28OSS_applications.29_produce_no_sound_in_A L" in revision 1.2, 27th
> November 2007 states,
> "... Rename the file instead: # mv /etc/modprobe.conf
> /etc/modprobe.conf.obsolete
>
> Now run alsaconf again and everything should work."
>
> Well the system here is the latest lenny with kernel 2.6.24-1-686.
> Neither /etc/modprobe.conf nor /etc/modprobe.conf.obsolete
> exist in this system. Still, alsaconf must run each time
> the system is started. Otherwise the on-board Intel sound
> hardware is not useable.
>
> "Run udevtrigger as user root: # udevtrigger --verbose"
>
> Sorry but udevtrigger is no help!
>
> "This should reload the modules you need. On next reboot, your system will
> find your soundcard."
>
> No such luck.
>
> "... If this does not work for you, please send a message to the
> [Debian-User list] with the details. "
>
> Also, the C-Media based Altec Lansing USB audio adapter has
> not worked for at least a month. Sound is a disaster area.
>
> Thanks, ... Peter E.

Hi Peter. I saw a suggestion to add snd-hda-intel to /etc/modules when there
were sound problems requiring you to run alsaconf after each reboot. Quite
why this is necessary, I've no idea, but hda-intel cards present a plethora
of problems, as they are all different, depending on the mobo they are setup
on.

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:00 AM
Rich Healey

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 May 2008 18:21, PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
>> Folk,
>>
>> This document,
>> "http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Sound_in_Debian_GNU/Linux#Some_applicatio
>> ns_.28OSS_applications.29_produce_no_sound_in_AL" in revision 1.2, 27th
>> November 2007 states,
>> "... Rename the file instead: # mv /etc/modprobe.conf
>> /etc/modprobe.conf.obsolete
>>
>> Now run alsaconf again and everything should work."
>>
>> Well the system here is the latest lenny with kernel 2.6.24-1-686.
>> Neither /etc/modprobe.conf nor /etc/modprobe.conf.obsolete
>> exist in this system. Still, alsaconf must run each time
>> the system is started. Otherwise the on-board Intel sound
>> hardware is not useable.
>>
>> "Run udevtrigger as user root: # udevtrigger --verbose"
>>
>> Sorry but udevtrigger is no help!
>>
>> "This should reload the modules you need. On next reboot, your system will
>> find your soundcard."
>>
>> No such luck.
>>
>> "... If this does not work for you, please send a message to the
>> [Debian-User list] with the details. "
>>
>> Also, the C-Media based Altec Lansing USB audio adapter has
>> not worked for at least a month. Sound is a disaster area.
>>
>> Thanks, ... Peter E.
>
> Hi Peter. I saw a suggestion to add snd-hda-intel to /etc/modules when there
> were sound problems requiring you to run alsaconf after each reboot. Quite
> why this is necessary, I've no idea, but hda-intel cards present a plethora
> of problems, as they are all different, depending on the mobo they are setup
> on.
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.

It's odd, my hda-intel card only works on my laptop if I turn on the
machine without the power plugged in.

If I power on with the power in, no amount of reloading of the modules
will fix it.

I'm suspecting this is hardware, not a Debian, or even Linux issue.