Old 05-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Rob Wright

Default Inconsistent state in util-linux

Greetings. Tried to use aptitude this morning to install the update for
openssh/openssl. Saw that there were a few upgrades that were needed so I
thought I'd just do a dist-upgrade.

Everything seemed ok, except now I'm stuck with util-linux in an inconsistent
state, and I don't know quite know how to resolve it. I tried to 'aptitude
reinstall', and get the following:
The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
util-linux
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 114 not
upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Writing extended state information... Error!
E: I wasn't able to locate file for the util-linux package. This might mean
you need to manually fix this package.
E: Couldn't lock list directory..are you root?
mercury:/home/rwright#

When I run aptitude install, this happens:
util-linux
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 114 not upgraded.
Need to get 397kB of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] y
Writing extended state information... Done
Get:1 http://debian.mirrors.tds.net etch/main util-linux 2.12r-19etch1 [397kB]
Fetched 397kB in 1s (229kB/s)
(Reading database ... 50982 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace util-linux 2.12r-19
(using .../util-linux_2.12r-19etch1_amd64.deb) ...
Errno architecture (x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi-2.6.18-1-amd64) does not
match executable architecture (x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi-2.6.24-1-amd64)
at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm line 11.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/install-info line 308.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/install-info line 308.
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 9
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
Errno architecture (x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi-2.6.18-1-amd64) does not
match executable architecture (x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi-2.6.24-1-amd64)
at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm line 11.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/install-info line 308.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/install-info line 308.
dpkg: error
processing /var/cache/apt/archives/util-linux_2.12r-19etch1_amd64.deb
(--unpack):
subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 9
Errno architecture (x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi-2.6.18-1-amd64) does not
match executable architecture (x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi-2.6.24-1-amd64)
at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm line 11.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/install-info line 308.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/install-info line 308.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 9
/var/cache/apt/archives/util-linux_2.12r-19etch1_amd64.deb
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
dpkg: error processing util-linux (--configure):
Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
reinstall it before attempting configuration.
util-linux

I've tried using clean and autoclean, and dpkg --configure. I know I can't
remove the package. What should I do?

Thanks,

Rob Wright
debianrob@poncacity.net

Old 05-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:06:03 -0500, Rob Wright wrote:
> Greetings. Tried to use aptitude this morning to install the update for
> openssh/openssl. Saw that there were a few upgrades that were needed so I
> thought I'd just do a dist-upgrade.
>
> Everything seemed ok, except now I'm stuck with util-linux in an inconsistent
> state, and I don't know quite know how to resolve it. I tried to 'aptitude
> reinstall', and get the following:

[...]

> Preparing to replace util-linux 2.12r-19
> (using .../util-linux_2.12r-19etch1_amd64.deb) ...
> Errno architecture (x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi-2.6.18-1-amd64) does not
> match executable architecture (x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi-2.6.24-1-amd64)
> at /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm line 11.

/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm is not part of Debian. Get rid of
it and the proper module at /usr/lib/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm will be used.
Running "aptitude install -f" should then be enough to fix your system.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Rob Wright

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 11:34:12 Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:06:03 -0500, Rob Wright wrote:
> > Greetings. Tried to use aptitude this morning to install the update for
> > openssh/openssl. Saw that there were a few upgrades that were needed so I
> > thought I'd just do a dist-upgrade.
> >
> > Everything seemed ok, except now I'm stuck with util-linux in an
> > inconsistent state, and I don't know quite know how to resolve it. I
> > tried to 'aptitude reinstall', and get the following:
>
> [...]
>
> > Preparing to replace util-linux 2.12r-19
> > (using .../util-linux_2.12r-19etch1_amd64.deb) ...
> > Errno architecture (x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi-2.6.18-1-amd64) does
> > not match executable architecture
> > (x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi-2.6.24-1-amd64) at
> > /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm line 11.
>
> /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm is not part of Debian. Get rid of
> it and the proper module at /usr/lib/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm will be used.
> Running "aptitude install -f" should then be enough to fix your system.
>
> > Compilation failed in require at /usr/sbin/install-info line 308.
> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/install-info line 308.
> > dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 9
>
> [...]
>
> --
> Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
> Florian |

Thanks Florian. Done, and problem solved.

Thanks again.

Rob

Old 05-15-2008, 12:15 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 06:34:12PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:06:03 -0500, Rob Wright wrote:

> /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm is not part of Debian. Get rid of
> it and the proper module at /usr/lib/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm will be used.
> Running "aptitude install -f" should then be enough to fix your system.

This has been in a thread recently. Are people compiling their own perl
into /usr/local or has something incorrectly put something there?

Doug.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:59 AM
Joey Hess

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 06:34:12PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:06:03 -0500, Rob Wright wrote:
>
> > /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm is not part of Debian. Get rid of
> > it and the proper module at /usr/lib/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm will be used.
> > Running "aptitude install -f" should then be enough to fix your system.
>
> This has been in a thread recently. Are people compiling their own perl
> into /usr/local or has something incorrectly put something there?

People occasionally decide to install perl modules directly from CPAN,
which can lead to this problem. CPAN is a great resource, but having it
install directly onto Debian (or most any distribution) is not a good
idea.

--
see shy jo

Old 05-15-2008, 01:55 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 09:59:14PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 06:34:12PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > > On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:06:03 -0500, Rob Wright wrote:
> >
> > > /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm is not part of Debian. Get rid of
> > > it and the proper module at /usr/lib/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm will be used.
> > > Running "aptitude install -f" should then be enough to fix your system.
> >
> > This has been in a thread recently. Are people compiling their own perl
> > into /usr/local or has something incorrectly put something there?
>
> People occasionally decide to install perl modules directly from CPAN,
> which can lead to this problem. CPAN is a great resource, but having it
> install directly onto Debian (or most any distribution) is not a good
> idea.

Well, the sysadmin should be able to put whatever they want in
/usr/local without messing up debian automated systems. Why is apt or
grub or whatever trying to run perl from /usr/local? If it needs a
specific version of perl, why is it not using the proper full path?

Sounds like a bug to me.

Doug.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 09:55:28 -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 09:59:14PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> > > This has been in a thread recently. Are people compiling their own perl
> > > into /usr/local or has something incorrectly put something there?
> >
> > People occasionally decide to install perl modules directly from CPAN,
> > which can lead to this problem. CPAN is a great resource, but having it
> > install directly onto Debian (or most any distribution) is not a good
> > idea.
>
> Well, the sysadmin should be able to put whatever they want in
> /usr/local without messing up debian automated systems. Why is apt or
> grub or whatever trying to run perl from /usr/local? If it needs a
> specific version of perl, why is it not using the proper full path?
>
> Sounds like a bug to me.

http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/perl-policy/ch-perl.html#s-paths

Florian |

Old 05-15-2008, 05:49 PM
Joey Hess

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> Well, the sysadmin should be able to put whatever they want in
> /usr/local without messing up debian automated systems. Why is apt or
> grub or whatever trying to run perl from /usr/local? If it needs a
> specific version of perl, why is it not using the proper full path?

By installing a file in /usr/local/share/perl/<version>/ , you are
telling perl "hey, if you're version <version> of perl, here is a nice
file that I went out of my way to locally install for you. So use it
instead of the file that is included in your regular package. Because I
asked you to, nicely. TIA. Oh, and if the file is bad, please still use
it, and blow up in arbitrary ways. Because I asked you to use it, and I
know better than you."

--
see shy jo

Old 05-16-2008, 06:02 AM
"Mumia W.."

/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/Errno.pm is not part of Debian. Get rid of

Well, the sysadmin should be able to put whatever they want in
/usr/local without messing up debian automated systems. Why is apt or
grub or whatever trying to run perl from /usr/local? If it needs a
specific version of perl, why is it not using the proper full path?

By installing a file in /usr/local/share/perl/<version>/ , you are
telling perl "hey, if you're version <version> of perl, here is a nice
file that I went out of my way to locally install for you. So use it
instead of the file that is included in your regular package. Because I
asked you to, nicely. TIA. Oh, and if the file is bad, please still use
it, and blow up in arbitrary ways. Because I asked you to use it, and I
know better than you."

:-)

Indeed. I have several CPAN-installed modules under /usr/local, but they
are in places where they can't be found* without setting PERL5LIB (which
is unset when I use aptitude). I never hear a peep from the package
manager about those CPAN modules.

------
* By Perl, by default.