Old 05-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Ramiro Caire

Default Recommendations on forced disk check

Rico Secada wrote:

Hi.

What are your recommendations on using tune2fs to turn off the forced
HD check on a server that needs to be available as much as possible?

If the forced check is shut off, should one run some manual check? Also
I don't have physical access to the machine only SSH.

Best regards

Rico.

I think that the first recommendation are: BACKUP YOUR DATA!!!.
It shouldn´t have any problem with tune2fs.

Kind regards.
Ramiro

Old 05-14-2008, 03:37 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 05:27:47PM +0200, Rico Secada wrote:
> What are your recommendations on using tune2fs to turn off the forced
> HD check on a server that needs to be available as much as possible?
>
> If the forced check is shut off, should one run some manual check? Also
> I don't have physical access to the machine only SSH.

Since the forced checks only happen at boot (or perhaps remount), if the
server is supposed to be available 24/7, it shouldn't be rebooted except
at kernel update time anyway.

I would assume that the people who wrote ext2/3 knew what they were
doing when they implemented forced checks.

Doug.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Raquel

On Wed, 14 May 2008 17:27:47 +0200
Rico Secada <coolzone@it.dk> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> What are your recommendations on using tune2fs to turn off the
> forced HD check on a server that needs to be available as much as
> possible?
>
> If the forced check is shut off, should one run some manual check?
> Also I don't have physical access to the machine only SSH.
>
> Best regards
>
> Rico.

I guess that I'm having trouble understanding what the problem is.
On my servers, e2fsck is only run when the machine is rebooted and
then only after it's been rebooted 30 or 40 times (or whatever the
number is).

--
Raquel
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds

--Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 05-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Paul Johnson

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 08:27:47 am Rico Secada wrote:
> What are your recommendations on using tune2fs to turn off the forced
> HD check on a server that needs to be available as much as possible?

Don't. If your machine is truly available as much as possible, the odds of it
running into a fsck are low (and over longer periods of time, it probably
should be done anyway, and hey, since the machine's already down...).

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Explaination of .pgp part: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/rant-gpg.html

Old 05-14-2008, 05:26 PM
Paul Johnson

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 08:57:58 am Raquel wrote:

> I guess that I'm having trouble understanding what the problem is.
> On my servers, e2fsck is only run when the machine is rebooted and
> then only after it's been rebooted 30 or 40 times (or whatever the
> number is).

I think by default it's X number of days, or Y number of reboots to force a
check.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:47 PM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

What are your recommendations on using tune2fs to turn off the forced
HD check on a server that needs to be available as much as possible?

If the forced check is shut off, should one run some manual check? Also
I don't have physical access to the machine only SSH.

Since the forced checks only happen at boot (or perhaps remount), if the
server is supposed to be available 24/7, it shouldn't be rebooted except
at kernel update time anyway.

With ksplice (http://web.mit.edu/ksplice/) even that should not be
necessary!

I would assume that the people who wrote ext2/3 knew what they were
doing when they implemented forced checks.

Doug.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi
--
Politics is for the moment. An equation is for eternity.
-- Albert Einstein