FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-14-2008, 02:34 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"
 
Default Firefox irresponsible

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 03:57:43PM +0200, Javier Barroso wrote:
> Since one week ago I'm noticing firefox is sometimes irresponsible during
> three or four seconds.

I think you mean nonresponsive, but I love the comment that
firefox/iceweasel is irresponsible. Perhaps its web designers who are
irresponsible.

LOL

> First I experiment it with swiftfox, then I used Firefox (iceweasel) 2 and
> the problem didn't go out. Then I switch to iceweasel 3 from experimental,
> and I see this again.
>
> I don't know how can I debug this problem. iceweasel take high % cpu during
> the time it is irresponsible.

Run top in an xterm/rxvt/whatever with a 0.25 second delay. You could
even run it in batch mode for 100 repititions and tee it to a file for
checking after the 4-second event. Look for not just the CPU load for
that process, but CPU and IO load globally.

[snip strace]
> But I think this strace doesn't give any clue.
I've never needed to learn how to read strace output.

> Somebody with the same problem ? Any workarround ?
I'm on dialup. Its normal for me to wait for iceweasel to grab a page
and display it. Sure it runs the CPU to 0% idle at times. That's the
whole reason I bought by new computer: Athlon64 3800+ with 1 GB ram:
because iceweasel/firefox uses a lot of resources. Most everything else
in my life can run just fine on my 486 or P-II.

> I didn't install any plugin recently (only tamper data and developer
> extension installed on my iceweasel)

I don't know what they do.

Good luck.

Doug.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-14-2008, 03:00 PM
"Todd A. Jacobs"
 
Default Firefox irresponsible

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 03:57:43PM +0200, Javier Barroso wrote:

> Since one week ago I'm noticing firefox is sometimes irresponsible
> during three or four seconds.

If you mean "unresponsive," I've often found that firefox is
unresponsive during heavy I/O, especially disk I/O. There are settings
you can change in prefs.js that can adjust rendering latency or increase
interactivity, but I'm not sure if they'd help you in your specific
circumstances.

For example, if I download a 600MB file with the DownThemAll extension,
firefox will appear to "lock up" for several seconds while concatenating
all the download segments and moving them to another drive or partition.
I don't think this is a bug, really, just a limitation of the current
application design.

Hope this helps.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Kim Christensen
 
Default Firefox irresponsible

Javier Barroso wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Since one week ago I'm noticing firefox is sometimes irresponsible during
> three or four seconds.

[snip]

> I didn't install any plugin recently (only tamper data and developer
> extension installed on my iceweasel)

Please double-check that you haven't got "Tamper Data" enabled when you
experience these irresponsible (sic, couldn't resist...) moments of
browsing.

This extension can be pretty heavy on resources.

Regards,
Kim
--
|_|O|_| Kim Christensen
|_|_|O| Public key: http://rac.nu/kchr.asc
|O|O|O| Web home: http://rac.nu
--------------------------------------------------------
() ascii ribbon campain - against html e-mail
/ www.asciiribbon.org - against proprietary attachments


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-14-2008, 03:36 PM
"Javier Barroso"
 
Default Firefox irresponsible

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 03:57:43PM +0200, Javier Barroso wrote:

> Since one week ago I'm noticing firefox is sometimes irresponsible during

> three or four seconds.



I think you mean nonresponsive, but I love the comment that

firefox/iceweasel is irresponsible. *Perhaps its web designers who are

irresponsible.Oh, sorry for my english, yes you understand it


Run top in an xterm/rxvt/whatever with a 0.25 second delay. *You could

even run it in batch mode for 100 repititions and tee it to a file for

checking after the 4-second event. *Look for not just the CPU load for

that process, but CPU and IO load globally.I'll do it the next time, thanks for the tip



> Somebody with the same problem ? Any workarround ?

I'm on dialup. *Its normal for me to wait for iceweasel to grab a page

and display it.Well, firefox load pages fast, but sometimes It takes various seconds while I can't click any link / bookmark or google shortcut box




> I didn't install any plugin recently (only tamper data and developer

> extension installed on my iceweasel)



I don't know what they do.Tamper helps you to track HTTP request (with possible changes 'on the fly'), and developer has many features interested





Good luck.Thanks you
 
Old 05-14-2008, 03:42 PM
"Javier Barroso"
 
Default Firefox irresponsible

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 5:00 PM, Todd A. Jacobs <nospam@codegnome.org> wrote:

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 03:57:43PM +0200, Javier Barroso wrote:



> Since one week ago I'm noticing firefox is sometimes irresponsible

> during three or four seconds.



If you mean "unresponsive," I've often found that firefox is

unresponsive during heavy I/O, especially disk I/O. There are settings

you can change in prefs.js that can adjust rendering latency or increase

interactivity, but I'm not sure if they'd help you in your specific

circumstances.Yes, I meant "unresponsive", but I think I don't have any heavy I/O (good pentium D, with many memory free and a sata disk, xfce and a few applications (low load average))


I'll use iotop the next time




Hope this helps.Thanks you
 
Old 05-14-2008, 03:44 PM
"Javier Barroso"
 
Default Firefox irresponsible

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Kim Please double-check that you haven't got "Tamper Data" enabled when you


experience these irresponsible (sic, couldn't resist...) moments of

browsing.I disabled both, but I'm sure tamper was off when it occurs





This extension can be pretty heavy on resources.Thanks for advice
 
Old 05-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Jean-Louis Crouzet
 
Default Firefox irresponsible

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 03:57:43PM +0200, Javier Barroso wrote:

Since one week ago I'm noticing firefox is sometimes irresponsible during
three or four seconds.


I think you mean nonresponsive, but I love the comment that
firefox/iceweasel is irresponsible. Perhaps its web designers who are
irresponsible.

LOL


First I experiment it with swiftfox, then I used Firefox (iceweasel) 2 and
the problem didn't go out. Then I switch to iceweasel 3 from experimental,
and I see this again.

I don't know how can I debug this problem. iceweasel take high % cpu during
the time it is irresponsible.


Run top in an xterm/rxvt/whatever with a 0.25 second delay. You could
even run it in batch mode for 100 repititions and tee it to a file for
checking after the 4-second event. Look for not just the CPU load for
that process, but CPU and IO load globally.

[snip strace]

But I think this strace doesn't give any clue.

I've never needed to learn how to read strace output.


Somebody with the same problem ? Any workarround ?

I'm on dialup. Its normal for me to wait for iceweasel to grab a page
and display it. Sure it runs the CPU to 0% idle at times. That's the
whole reason I bought by new computer: Athlon64 3800+ with 1 GB ram:
because iceweasel/firefox uses a lot of resources. Most everything else
in my life can run just fine on my 486 or P-II.


I didn't install any plugin recently (only tamper data and developer
extension installed on my iceweasel)


I don't know what they do.

Good luck.

Doug.


FF is just a memory & cpu hog, I used to have a machine working OK with
my own optimized kernel but QT and xfce4 + FF are just eating all and I
swap like crazy... The recommendation I collected is just add few more
add-on like addblokplus but even then the ultimte recommendation was not
going into MySpace (of course...). Well at the end of the day I have
kill my process (sorry Iceweasel) tens times and I just get mad of it.

There is absolutely noway for me to invest RAM for Dell Optiplex GX200!
I currently have just 128MB but that has been for a long time enough.

FF, Iceweasel, Konqueror same battle (perhaps slightly better for
konqueror but por flash support).


Well I do not want to argue no more, thanks for reading I'm going to
surf IE7... just kidding.


Regards,
JL


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-14-2008, 05:57 PM
Carl Fink
 
Default Firefox irresponsible

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 06:32:22PM +0200, Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:

> FF is just a memory & cpu hog, I used to have a machine working OK with
> my own optimized kernel but QT and xfce4 + FF are just eating all and I
> swap like crazy... The recommendation I collected is just add few more
> add-on like addblokplus but even then the ultimte recommendation was not
> going into MySpace (of course...). Well at the end of the day I have
> kill my process (sorry Iceweasel) tens times and I just get mad of it.
> There is absolutely noway for me to invest RAM for Dell Optiplex GX200!
> I currently have just 128MB but that has been for a long time enough.
>
> FF, Iceweasel, Konqueror same battle (perhaps slightly better for
> konqueror but por flash support).
>
> Well I do not want to argue no more, thanks for reading I'm going to
> surf IE7... just kidding.

Dillo? If you need Flash support, Epiphany?
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. Reviews! Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Raj Kiran Grandhi
 
Default Firefox irresponsible

Javier Barroso wrote:


> Somebody with the same problem ? Any workarround ?
I'm on dialup. Its normal for me to wait for iceweasel to grab a page
and display it.

Well, firefox load pages fast, but sometimes It takes various seconds
while I can't click any link / bookmark or google shortcut box


It is possible that firefox is busy running some javascript on one of
the open pages. I remember reading somewhere that javascript can only
run as a single thread for all the tabs and windows, so whenever a
script is executing the UI becomes unresponsive. I have had this problem
some time back before I installed the noscript extension. You might
want to consider it.


Alternatively, you may consider adblockplus which is takes a
blacklisting approach rather than the explicit whitelisting approach of
noscript.



--
Raj Kiran Grandhi
--
Politics is for the moment. An equation is for eternity.
-- Albert Einstein


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-15-2008, 06:21 AM
Jean-Louis Crouzet
 
Default Firefox irresponsible

Carl Fink wrote:

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 06:32:22PM +0200, Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:

FF is just a memory & cpu hog, I used to have a machine working OK with
my own optimized kernel but QT and xfce4 + FF are just eating all and I
swap like crazy... The recommendation I collected is just add few more
add-on like addblokplus but even then the ultimte recommendation was not
going into MySpace (of course...). Well at the end of the day I have
kill my process (sorry Iceweasel) tens times and I just get mad of it.

There is absolutely noway for me to invest RAM for Dell Optiplex GX200!
I currently have just 128MB but that has been for a long time enough.

FF, Iceweasel, Konqueror same battle (perhaps slightly better for
konqueror but por flash support).


Well I do not want to argue no more, thanks for reading I'm going to
surf IE7... just kidding.


Dillo? If you need Flash support, Epiphany?


Hi,

I'm not able to understand (I'm not English fluent to get it clear) your
message. Would you mind please elaborating?


Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards,
JL


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:39 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org