Old 05-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Bogdan Marian

Default howto: romanian alphabet - special characters?

Hey,

I'm on KDE and even if i switch to Romanian Layout, i dont't get those
special characters on OpenOffice. Do i need to install some special
fonts or smth? I have already installed Linux Libertine fonts but still...

Anyone can help please?

Thx,

--
Bogdan MARIAN
Java Software Developer

Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 04:59:08PM +0300, Bogdan Marian wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm on KDE and even if i switch to Romanian Layout, i dont't get those
> special characters on OpenOffice. Do i need to install some special fonts
> or smth? I have already installed Linux Libertine fonts but still...
> Anyone can help please?

Try with DejaVu fonts. Also paste the output of 'locale'. I can't help
with KDE nor OpenOffice as I don't use any, but I switch keyboard
layouts with

setxkbmap ro

or similar. There are also two types of Romania layouts. The default one
uses AltGr (right Alt) as a compose key and you get the diacritics like

Alt + a = ă
Alt + s = ş
Alt + t = ţ
Alt + q = â

The "std" variant ('setxkbmap ro std')is almost identic with the one you
might know from Windows (ex. "z" and "y" are not swapped).

If you don't plan to exchange documents with XP users I would suggest to
use the "comma" variant or the "academic" one, because they generate the
correct ș and ț (you might notice there is a comma below not a cedilla).

If you are interested in this stuff you might want to join
debian-l10n-romanian (very low traffic) or diacritice@googlegroups.com
(low traffic), the unofficial coordination of Romania localization
efforts.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 05-21-2008, 06:59 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 10:53:35PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> or similar. There are also two types of Romania layouts. The default one
> uses AltGr (right Alt) as a compose key and you get the diacritics like
>
> Alt + a = ă
> Alt + s = ş
> Alt + t = ţ
> Alt + q = â