Old 05-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Viktor Matys

Default sendmail - dns lookup problem

Hello,

I have sendmail installed on several servers of different customers.
When I run sendmailconfig on some server I get message:

WARNING: local host name (;; connection timed out; no servers could be
reached) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?

As we can see there in brackets is an error message instead of true
local host name. This message is returned from dns lookup procedure. But
dns lookup has no problem (responses are pretty fast):

hostname -f
server.example.com

host server.example.com
server.example.com has address 10.22.19.126

host 10.22.19.126
126.19.22.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer server.example.com

host -t mx example.com
example.com mail is handled by 10 server.example.com.

cat /etc/mailname
server.example.com

That error message appears on some lines in sendmail.cf too:

Dj;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
Cw;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
CG;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Which results in situation when other mail servers refuses e-mail from
this server for that nonsense name. I must repair it myself "by hands",
but Debian has "helpful" feature - after reboot is sendmail.cf
autogenerated again with those error messages inside.

Can you help me?

Thank you very much

Viktor Matys

Old 05-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Viktor Matys

[...]

That error message appears in some lines in sendmail.cf too:

Dj;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
Cw;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
CG;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

I must repair sendmail.cf myself "by hands", but Debian has "helpful"
feature - after reboot is sendmail.cf autogenerated with those error
messages inside again.

Why sendmailconfig cannot see true server name?

Thank you very much

Viktor Matys

Old 05-14-2008, 03:11 PM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 01:16:13PM +0200, Viktor Matys wrote:

> WARNING: local host name (;; connection timed out; no servers could be
> reached) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?

I run postfix, not sendmail, but wanted to suggest that you check your
/etc/hosts file to ensure that there is a FQDN for your local host, and
that it matches whatever you're telling sendmail. For example:

127.0.1.1 random.grumpa.net random grumpa

Also, IIRC sendmail.mc gets recompiled automagically at startup, so
manual changes to sendmail.cf might not survive a reboot.

> Dj;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached Cw;; connection
> timed out; no servers could be reached CG;; connection timed out; no
> servers could be reached

Best-practice for a mail server is to run a caching name server to
minimize DNS timeouts. If you're not already doing so, you might want to
consider that. You might also want to look into setting the "rotate"
flag in your /etc/resolv.conf or /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base to
spread the load around to more than one upstream resolver.

Hope some of this helps.

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Old 05-14-2008, 03:24 PM
Kim Christensen

Viktor Matys wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have sendmail installed on several servers of different customers.
> When I run sendmailconfig on some server I get message:
>
> WARNING: local host name (;; connection timed out; no servers could be
> reached) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?
>
> As we can see there in brackets is an error message instead of true
> local host name. This message is returned from dns lookup procedure. But
> dns lookup has no problem (responses are pretty fast):
>
> hostname -f
> server.example.com

Double-check that the sendmail user account is allowed to perform DNS
queries. If you have firewall rules that only let through hostname
lookups for the root user, you'll probably experience timeout problems
when using a normal user account.

Regards,
Kim
--
|_|O|_| Kim Christensen
|_|_|O| Public key: http://rac.nu/kchr.asc

Old 05-14-2008, 03:35 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 08:11:13AM -0700, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 01:16:13PM +0200, Viktor Matys wrote:

> Best-practice for a mail server is to run a caching name server to
> minimize DNS timeouts. If you're not already doing so, you might want to
> consider that. You might also want to look into setting the "rotate"
> flag in your /etc/resolv.conf or /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/base to
> spread the load around to more than one upstream resolver.

I find that the easiest caching dns server to use on debian is dnsmasq.
Its basically install and forget for the dns stuff (it can act as a dhcp
server too), other than having other boxes point to this box for dns
lookup.

Doug.