Old 05-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Ivan Glushkov

Default 5.1 surround sound with NVidia4

Hi all,

I have working sound system, but I hear only two out of my 5.1 channels.
Any idea how to make them all working? Any links related to the topic
are also welcome. I googled around, but I couldn't find a solution. I
hear sound from the front left, right and subwoofer speakers during mp3
playing with Rhythmbox, and I am able to hear sound from the backward
speakers only by unmuting "Duplicate" in alsamixer, but that's not what
I want. I never managed to hear a sound from the center speaker.

I have a NVidia4 chipset based board with a Realtek ALC850 8-channel
codec on it.

I have debian lenny/sid 2.6.24-1-amd64 SMP with:

lspci -v:
00:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97
Audio Controller (rev a2)

Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 812a
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
I/O ports at b400 [size=256]
I/O ports at b000 [size=256]
Memory at d7dfd000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
Kernel modules: snd-intel8x0

lsmod | grep snd:
snd_mpu401 13992 0
snd_mpu401_uart 13440 1 snd_mpu401
snd_seq_dummy 8580 0
snd_seq_oss 36736 0
snd_intel8x0 41000 3
snd_seq_midi 13376 0
snd_seq_midi_event 12544 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_ac97_codec 118232 1 snd_intel8x0
snd_seq 58752 6
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event

ac97_bus 6912 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss 46624 0
snd_mixer_oss 21376 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_rawmidi 30624 2 snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_midi
snd_pcm 89352 4 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_device 12948 5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd _rawmidi

snd_timer 28552 3 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd 65896 16
snd_mpu401,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_seq_oss,snd_intel8x 0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss ,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm,snd_seq_device,snd_timer

soundcore 13216 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 15248 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [CK804 ]: NFORCE - NVidia CK804
NVidia CK804 with ALC850 at irq 22
1 [UART ]: MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART
MPU-401 UART at 0x330, irq 5

Cheers,
Ivan

Old 05-17-2008, 11:26 AM
chmick

Hello Ian

I have a similar sound chip on a GAK8N gygabite motherboard .
With my previous debian (etch) I succeeded to make it work with 5 speakers.

In gnome start the volume control manager , then go to file --> change
device --> select ck804

then go in open the volume control preference (edit --> preferences)

select all options like surround, channel mode , duplicate front (see the
screenshot)

then in the volume control panel select the option tab and set up speakers
numbers and other things. (i'm still trying to understand surround jack
mode)
http://www.nabble.com/file/p17290705/screenshot.jpg

this should work (if it's the case can you mark this thread as resolved for
others ) ?

Can you help me with something ?? Since i upgraded to lenny I have no sound
anymore and I can't find why ? can you send me your settings and your
hardware type ?

Thanks