Old 05-14-2008, 05:51 AM
"lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com"

Default CD has not been seen in debian40r3 console

I do not mount cd rom successfully. It seems that CD has not been seen
in debian40r3 console, but when the cd rom icon can be seen on the
desktop after lunch X window by startx. How can I see cd outside X
window?

$ grep cdrom /etc/fstab
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-05-14 00:05 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
$ su -c 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom'
Password:
mount: No medium found
$

Thank you for your time.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:54 AM
Juha Tuuna

lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com wrote:
> I do not mount cd rom successfully. It seems that CD has not been seen
> in debian40r3 console, but when the cd rom icon can be seen on the
> desktop after lunch X window by startx. How can I see cd outside X
> window?
>
> $ grep cdrom /etc/fstab
> /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
> $ ls -l /dev/cdrom
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-05-14 00:05 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
> $ su -c 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom'
> Password:
> mount: No medium found
> $
>
> Thank you for your time.

What about:
mount /media/cdrom0
Does this 'No medium found' occur with every CD or just one/some?

When you insert the CD, try as root:
dd if=/dev/hdc bs=256 count=1 | hd

anything or error again?

PS. sorry about the private mail I sent to lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com
earlier. My bad.

--
Juha Tuuna

Old 05-14-2008, 07:30 AM
"lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com"

On May 14, 3:10*pm, Juha Tuuna <juha.tu...@utu.fi> wrote:
> lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> *> I do not mount cd rom successfully. It seems that CD has not been seen
> *> in debian40r3 console, but when the cd rom icon can be seen on the
> *> desktop after lunch X window by startx. How can I see cd outside X
> *> window?
> *>
> *> $ grep cdrom /etc/fstab
> *> /dev/hdc * * * */media/cdrom0 * udf,iso9660 user,noauto * * 0 * * * 0
> *> $ ls -l /dev/cdrom
> *> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2008-05-14 00:05 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
> *> $ su -c 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom'
> *> Password:
> *> mount: No medium found
> *> $
> *>
> *> Thank you for your time.
>
> What about:
> mount /media/cdrom0
> Does this 'No medium found' occur with every CD or just one/some?
>
> When you insert the CD, try as root:
> dd if=/dev/hdc bs=256 count=1 | hd
>
> anything or error again?

Hi, this is the output,

$ su -c 'mount -t iso9660 /media/cdrom0 /cdrom'
Password:
mount: /media/cdrom0 is not a block device
$ dd if=/dev/hdc bs=256 count=1 | hd
dd: opening `/dev/hdc': No medium found
$

By the way, I'm working with an iso cd image.

> PS. sorry about the private mail I sent to lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com
> earlier. My bad.

This is ok. Thank you for help.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:19 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 12:30:23AM -0700, lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com wrote:
> On May 14, 3:10?pm, Juha Tuuna <juha.tu...@utu.fi> wrote:
> > lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com wrote:
> >

> > What about:
> > mount /media/cdrom0
> Hi, this is the output,
>
> $ su -c 'mount -t iso9660 /media/cdrom0 /cdrom'
> Password:
> mount: /media/cdrom0 is not a block device
> $ dd if=/dev/hdc bs=256 count=1 | hd
> dd: opening `/dev/hdc': No medium found
> $

Just try the mount /media/cdrom0 and don't tell it a type, just let the
fstab entry work. By using the -t and other options, you override the
fstab.

If this works in X, I'd check dmesg before and after you start X.
Perhaps a module is being loaded that runs your cdrom only when you
start X.

Doug.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 00:30:23 -0700, lovecreatesbea... AT gmail DOT com wrote:

[...]

> Hi, this is the output,
>
> $ su -c 'mount -t iso9660 /media/cdrom0 /cdrom'
> Password:
> mount: /media/cdrom0 is not a block device
> $ dd if=/dev/hdc bs=256 count=1 | hd
> dd: opening `/dev/hdc': No medium found
> $
>
> By the way, I'm working with an iso cd image.

If you want to mount a CD image, i.e. a single file that contains the
full filesystem structure that would normally be burned onto a CD, then
you have to use a loop device, like this:

mount -t iso9660 -o loop cdimage.iso /mnt/cdrom0

This assumes that the image file is called "cdimage.iso" (specify the
full path if this file is not in the current directory) and that the
mountpoint /mnt/cdrom0 exists already (as an empty directory).

Florian |

Old 05-15-2008, 01:39 AM
"lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com"

On May 15, 2:30*am, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+deb...@icfo.es>
wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 00:30:23 -0700, lovecreatesbea... AT gmail DOT com wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Hi, this is the output,
>
> > * * $ su -c 'mount -t iso9660 /media/cdrom0 /cdrom'
> > * * Password:
> > * * mount: /media/cdrom0 is not a block device
> > * * $ dd if=/dev/hdc bs=256 count=1 | hd
> > * * dd: opening `/dev/hdc': No medium found
> > * * $
>
> > By the way, I'm working with an iso cd image.
>
> If you want to mount a CD image, i.e. a single file that contains the
> full filesystem structure that would normally be burned onto a CD, then
> you have to use a loop device, like this:
>
> mount -t iso9660 -o loop cdimage.iso /mnt/cdrom0
>
> This assumes that the image file is called "cdimage.iso" (specify the
> full path if this file is not in the current directory) and that the
> mountpoint /mnt/cdrom0 exists already (as an empty directory).

Hi, the Debian Linux system is hosted in VMware 6. The path to the iso
cd image is given to VMware's CD option. After I launch X, there's a
CD icon on the desktop and I can click on it and see its content, the
content of iso cd image. But I can't see/mount this iso cd image
within console.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:21 AM
"Mumia W.."

Hi, the Debian Linux system is hosted in VMware 6. The path to the iso
cd image is given to VMware's CD option. After I launch X, there's a
CD icon on the desktop and I can click on it and see its content, the
content of iso cd image. But I can't see/mount this iso cd image
within console.

Within X and with the CD content displayed, load an X terminal and type
"mount". Take note of the mount point.

Note, I've never used VMware.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:32 AM
"lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com"

On May 15, 4:50*pm, "Mumia W.." <paduille.4061.mumia.w
+nos...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 05/14/2008 08:39 PM, lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hi, the Debian Linux system is hosted in VMware 6. The path to the iso
> > cd image is given to VMware's CD option. After I launch X, there's a
> > CD icon on the desktop and I can click on it and see its content, the
> > content of iso cd image. But I can't see/mount this iso cd image
> > within console.
>
> Within X and with the CD content displayed, load an X terminal and type
> "mount". Take note of the mount point.

Hi, thank you for the hint.

Before launch X,

$ mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
$

After launch X,

$ mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hdc on /media/cdrom0 type iso9660
(ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=lijh)
$

Now, I mount the cd image successfully.

$ su -c 'mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /media/cdrom0'
Password:
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
$