Old 05-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Mike Ely

Default Kernel building 2.6.18-5-686 -> 2.6.25.2 on VMWare

Hi there,

I'm trying to update from the Debian-supplied stock kernel to 2.6.25.2 on
Etch (for GFS2 purposes), and, on my VMWare instance, the new kernel seems
always to hang at "Waiting for root filesystem."

I've tried passing different options to make-kpkg, but the result is always
the same. Kernel, modules, initrd all build successfully, but no joy. Boot
times out waiting for the root filesystem, and eventually dumps me into an
emergency shell. Here's the relevant dmesg output from a successful boot
into 2.6.18-5-686:

SCSI subsystem initialized
Fusion MPT base driver 3.04.01
Copyright (c) 1999-2005 LSI Logic Corporation
Fusion MPT SPI Host driver 3.04.01
mptbase: Initiating ioc0 bringup
ioc0: 53C1030: Capabilities={Initiator}
scsi0 : ioc0: LSI53C1030, FwRev=00000000h, Ports=1, MaxQ=128, IRQ=169
Vendor: VMware, Model: VMware Virtual S Rev: 1.0
target0:0:0: Beginning Domain Validation
target0:0:0: Domain Validation skipping write tests
target0:0:0: Ending Domain Validation
target0:0:0: FAST-160 WIDE SCSI 320.0 MB/s DT IU RDSTRM RTI WRFLOW PCOMP
(6.25 ns, offset 127)

Obviously, I can't paste the failed dmesg here, but basically what it does
is start the Fusion driver, and load ioc0 but not scsi0.

Anyone seen similar? What am I missing on my kernel build?

Thanks,
Mike Ely

Old 05-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Mike Ely wrote:

Hi there,

I'm trying to update from the Debian-supplied stock kernel to 2.6.25.2 on
Etch (for GFS2 purposes), and, on my VMWare instance, the new kernel seems
always to hang at "Waiting for root filesystem."

So as I understand it, you run Etch on VMware and compile (with
make-kpkg?) 2.6.25.2 (2.6.25.3 is stable). What .config do you use?

Then on VMware you boot 2.6.25.2 and run into trouble?

Old 05-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Mike Ely

On 5/15/08 6:59 AM, "Hugo Vanwoerkom" <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

> Mike Ely wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm trying to update from the Debian-supplied stock kernel to 2.6.25.2 on
>> Etch (for GFS2 purposes), and, on my VMWare instance, the new kernel seems
>> always to hang at "Waiting for root filesystem."
>
> So as I understand it, you run Etch on VMware and compile (with
> make-kpkg?) 2.6.25.2 (2.6.25.3 is stable).
Exactly. I guess I haven't got around to downloading .3 however.

> What .config do you use?
I start with either the one in /boot/ or simply by doing a "make oldconfig"
and then editing it by hand to put the GFS2 stuff in that I need.

> Then on VMware you boot 2.6.25.2 and run into trouble?
Yep, precisely.