Old 05-13-2008, 10:03 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

Default Blocking Gmail ads

I'm getting a little tired of Gmail serving me Matlab ads whenever I'm
browsing the Octave mailing lists. That's quite obnoxious. It looks
like it's tricky to block Google ads, since it looks like Google can
detect when you're using Adblock and serves you ads in <tables>
instead, making them harder to block.

Can anyone suggest a fix? I only use Gmail for mailing lists nowadays,
and have moved my personal email to a server in an undisclosed
location in a remote island... ;-)

I'd be happy with a solution that either blocks all Gmail ads or a
better method to browse the 14 mailing lists I'm currently subscribed
to, many of them high-volume. I'm beginning to miss Usenet.

- Jordi G. H.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Paul Johnson

On Tuesday 13 May 2008 03:03:27 pm Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a fix? I only use Gmail for mailing lists nowadays,
> and have moved my personal email to a server in an undisclosed
> location in a remote island... ;-)

Why not use that for mailing lists as well? It's not like you can't use
spambayes or other tools to keep things usable...

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Explaination of .pgp part: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/rant-gpg.html

Old 05-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Nicolas George

Le quintidi 25 floréal, an CCXVI, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso a écrit*:
> I'm getting a little tired of Gmail serving me Matlab ads whenever I'm
> browsing the Octave mailing lists. That's quite obnoxious. It looks
> like it's tricky to block Google ads, since it looks like Google can
> detect when you're using Adblock and serves you ads in <tables>
> instead, making them harder to block.
>
> Can anyone suggest a fix?

You could try a Greasemonkey script to add the "display: none" style to the
rule for the div containing the ads. With the current layout, it is the
"yxEQwb" class, but it may change.

> I'd be happy with a solution that either blocks all Gmail ads or a
> better method to browse the 14 mailing lists I'm currently subscribed
> to, many of them high-volume. I'm beginning to miss Usenet.

I assume you already know all about Gmane.

Nicolas George

Old 05-13-2008, 10:17 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-13-2008, 10:20 PM
Emre Sahin

"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso" <jordigh@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> I'd be happy with a solution that either blocks all Gmail ads or a
> better method to browse the 14 mailing lists I'm currently subscribed
> to, many of them high-volume. I'm beginning to miss Usenet.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

You can use Gmail IMAP or POP service with a client of your choice. I
currently use Emacs + Gnus, splitting mails using regular expressions
(checking mostly their List-Id into gmail labels. Gnus is originally
a newsreader and may be a good solution for such a task. However, Gnus
IMAP implementation is slow and you may want a more "mainstream"
client.

You can also use fetchmail + procmail solution. It is faster than any
IMAP connection but if you have multiple computers, sychronization may
be a mess sometimes.

Best Regards,

Emre

Old 05-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Gregory Seidman

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 05:03:27PM -0500, Jordi Guti?rrez Hermoso wrote:
> I'm getting a little tired of Gmail serving me Matlab ads whenever I'm
> browsing the Octave mailing lists. That's quite obnoxious. It looks
> like it's tricky to block Google ads, since it looks like Google can
> detect when you're using Adblock and serves you ads in <tables>
> instead, making them harder to block.
>
> Can anyone suggest a fix? I only use Gmail for mailing lists nowadays,
> and have moved my personal email to a server in an undisclosed
> location in a remote island... ;-)
>
> I'd be happy with a solution that either blocks all Gmail ads or a
> better method to browse the 14 mailing lists I'm currently subscribed
> to, many of them high-volume. I'm beginning to miss Usenet.

I do all my web browsing through privoxy (apt-cache show privoxy).
My adblock.action file, which does a good job of blocking lots of ads,
including gmail's, is pasted below. It also blocks a lot of web bugs and
traffic trackers. It isn't perfect, but it vastly improves my web browsing
experience.

> - Jordi G. H.
--Greg

{+block }
.247realmedia.com
.2o7.net
.adbasket.net
.adbrite.com
.adbureau.net
.adknowledge.com
.adlegend.com
.adnetwork.com
.adroll.com
.adserver.com
.adserver.yahoo.com
.adspeed.net
.adsrevenue.net
.adtech.de
.advertising.com
.afy11.com
.atdmt.com
.backbeatmedia.com
.bannerspace.com
blcadserv.shinycomics.com
blogads.com
.blogads.com
stocker.bonnint.net
.burstmedia.com
.burstnet.com
.casalemedia.com
.chitika.net
.claxonmedia.com
.clickforensics.com
.contextweb.com
.coremetrics.com
.doubleclick.net
.esomniture.com
.falkag.net
.fastclick.net
.google-analytics.com
.googlerank.info
.googlesyndication.com
.hitbox.com
.humanclick.com
.indieclick.com
.industrybrains.com
.intellitxt.com
.interclick.com
.interclick.net
.keenmercial.com
gavzad.keenspot.com
merv.keenspot.com
www.keenspot.com/premium*
.kontera.com
.lostfrog.com
.marketwatch.com
.maxserving.com
.mediaplex.com
.overture.com
.paypopup.com
.pheedo.com
.pointroll.com
.primaryads.com
.projectwonderful.com
publish.blanklabelcomics.com
.quantserve.com
.ru4.com
.edge.ru4.com
http.edge.ru4.com
.sitemeter.com
.smarttargetting.co.uk
spa.snap.com
.specificmedia.com
.statcounter.com
.tacoda.net
.textads.biz
syndication.thedailywtf.com
.trackalyzer.com
.trafficmp.com
.tribalfusion.com
.ttzmedia.com
.ugamsolutions.net
.unicast.com
.valueclick.com
.vibrantmedia.com
.web-stat.com
.xplusone.com
.yceml.net
.yieldmanager.com
.zedo.com
ss1.zedo.com
ad.
ad1.
ad2.
adremote.
adsremote.
ads1.
ads2.
adserv.
adserver.
adv.
advert.
banner.
banners.
metrics.
servedby.
stats.
stats1.
stats2.
webad.
webads.
.facebook.com/beacon/
feeds.feedburner.com/~a/
www.davidszondy.com/images/shop.gif
/(.*/)?adv/.*
/(.*/)?adx/.*
/(.*/)?adserver/.*
/(.*/)?banners/.*
/(.*/)?phpAdsNew/.*
/(.*/)?RealMedia/.*
/(.*/)?dealtime_iframe.php?.*

Old 05-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Allan Wind

On 2008-05-13T17:03:27-0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> I'm getting a little tired of Gmail serving me Matlab ads whenever I'm
> browsing the Octave mailing lists. That's quite obnoxious. It looks
> like it's tricky to block Google ads, since it looks like Google can
> detect when you're using Adblock and serves you ads in <tables>
> instead, making them harder to block.

Adblock Plus
Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper

I subscribe to some of the feeds for Adblock Plus to do the heavy
listing, and I after I removed a couple of elements manually I do not
see ads in gmail or and rarely anywhere for that matter.

/Allan

Old 05-13-2008, 10:48 PM
John Hasler

Jordi writes:
> Can anyone suggest a fix?

You want a free service from an advertising agency without advertising?
Right.

> I'm beginning to miss Usenet.

Usenet isn't gone.
--
John Hasler

Old 05-13-2008, 10:59 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

On 13/05/2008, Nicolas George <nicolas.george@normalesup.org> wrote:
> Le quintidi 25 floréal, an CCXVI, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso a écrit :

Floréal? :-)

> > I'm getting a little tired of Gmail serving me Matlab ads whenever I'm
> > browsing the Octave mailing lists.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a fix?
>

> You could try a Greasemonkey script to add the "display: none" style to the
> rule for the div containing the ads. With the current layout, it is the
> "yxEQwb" class, but it may change.

Ugh. Obfuscation and deception. I guess I could work around it and we
could have a nice arms race with adblocking, but now I'm starting to
think that the less I have to rely on Google, the better.

> > I'd be happy with a solution that either blocks all Gmail ads or a
> > better method to browse the 14 mailing lists I'm currently subscribed
> > to, many of them high-volume. I'm beginning to miss Usenet.
>

> I assume you already know all about Gmane.

Actually I didn't... It looks like an option, but now I'm flirting
right now with the idea of using Lavabit, which looks like a nice
alternative, and I'd be quite happy to pay for a quality webmail
service (or at least pay what they're asking, which seems to be 16 USD
per annum), except that they have all this "intellectual property"
nonsense in their Terms Of Service.

Any recommendation for a quality webmail service that uses free
software? I don't mind paying for the service, but I feel rather more
comfortable if I know that they use free software, maybe even Debian.
:-) If not, I think I may try out Lavabit.

- Jordi G. H.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:13 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

On 13/05/2008, John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
> Usenet isn't gone.

I think that Debian must be one of the last organisations that still
uses Usenet. The Wesnoth, Octave, Maxima and VTK mailing lists don't
have Usenet alternatives as far as I can see. Sage uses Google groups.
:-(

- Jordi G. H.