Old 05-14-2008, 09:08 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

Default Blocking Gmail ads

2008/5/14 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh@gmail.com>:
> On 13/05/2008, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I now _miss_ the ads in gmail, as they are almost always
>> relevant to what I'm reading.
>
> While Google got the relevance right of putting Matlab ads when I'm
> reading the Octave mailing list, their insistence finally got annoying
> enough for me to want to remove them.
>
> C'mon. I'm using Octave and talking to its developers precisely
> because believe[1] that mathematical software, above other software in
> particular, must be free. Matlab annoys me to no end, especially since
> it's a de facto standard. I don't need to be annoyed while I plot a
> better tomorrow with my comrades. ;-)

That is true. However, why don't you work directly with GNUplot for that?

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-14-2008, 10:06 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

Actually, with Summer of Code, I think that google contributes more to
FOSS software than almost any other entity that I can name. Maybe
their specific patches to the linux kernel they keep to themselves,
but they more than make up for it in paying for developers to write
code that will benefit lots of end users. Those kernel patches are in
all likelihood not suitable for desktop or most non-distributed server
installations anyway. And those who would need them, are likely
Google's competitors.

I thank Google for their contributions to FOSS and SoC in particular.
Evil or not, I cannot say. But I benefit from Google's services on a
day to day basis.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2008-05-13 19:01:17, schrieb Steve Lamb:
> Uhm, that is a gross oversimplification. You use software you have the
> right to the source. If you *choose* to release software *to others* they
> have right to the source.
>
> Hate to break it to you but I use FOSS all the time for my private and
> personal use as well as my professional use. There is code I have that will
> not ever be redistributed and as such you, nor anyone else, has right to that
> source because you will never, EVER use it. That is my choice. On the other
> hand if I did release it for others to use I would obligated to release the
> source along with it. An obligation I have fulfilled on all the software I
> have chosen to release for others to use.
>
> They haven't released it for others to use. They're under no obligation
> to share the source. That's not a loophole. That's freedom.

Now imagine, the german car manufacturer BMW must give away the
sourcecode used in the microcontroller of there cars or make the
microcontrollers accessible form outside the tech-support...

This would be a very big security hole...

OK, you CAN access the memory of the microcontroller, but this would
damage the coardcomputer and you will lost any warranty of the car.

It is realy weird, WHY peoples want to have access to sourcecodes to
hardware they can not use access legaly.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi

Old 05-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2008-05-13 21:38:04, schrieb Jordi Gutirrez Hermoso:
> On 13/05/2008, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:
>
> > Hate to break it to you but I use FOSS all the time for my private and
> > personal use as well as my professional use. There is code I have that will
> > not ever be redistributed and as such you, nor anyone else, has
> right to that
> > source because you will never, EVER use it.
>

> Difference being that we do use Google's software but we aren't seeing
> its source. It is the ASP loophole which the AGPL closes, and the more
> we see software being distributed as service via our web browsers, the
> more it's going to be like this.

So you want to have access to the sourcecode od the boardcomputer of a
BMW? But you kbnow, that ANY modification in the Electronic or Software
will invalid the right to use the BMW public.

Access to the sourcecode will be a security hole...

OH, Airbus is using Linux too... So, do you want to have access to the
sourcecode because you are traveling with an Airbus?

Old 05-15-2008, 09:50 AM
"Magnus Therning"