Old 05-13-2008, 11:14 PM
"Steve Lamb"

Default Blocking Gmail ads

On Tue, May 13, 2008 3:59 pm, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> Any recommendation for a quality webmail service that uses free
> software? I don't mind paying for the service, but I feel rather more
> comfortable if I know that they use free software, maybe even Debian.
> :-) If not, I think I may try out Lavabit.

aptitude install squirrelmail

^.^

--
Steve Lamb

Old 05-13-2008, 11:29 PM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

On 13/05/2008, Allan Wind <allan_wind@lifeintegrity.com> wrote:
> Adblock Plus: Element Hiding Helper

Excellent! I didn't know about this latter one.

Even though I think I still want to move away from Gmail, it's nice to
know that there are further tools to help fight the anti-ad battles.

- Jordi G. H.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:36 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/5/14 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh@gmail.com>:
> I'm getting a little tired of Gmail serving me Matlab ads whenever I'm
> browsing the Octave mailing lists. That's quite obnoxious. It looks
> like it's tricky to block Google ads, since it looks like Google can
> detect when you're using Adblock and serves you ads in <tables>
> instead, making them harder to block.
>
> Can anyone suggest a fix? I only use Gmail for mailing lists nowadays,
> and have moved my personal email to a server in an undisclosed
> location in a remote island... ;-)
>
> I'd be happy with a solution that either blocks all Gmail ads or a
> better method to browse the 14 mailing lists I'm currently subscribed
> to, many of them high-volume. I'm beginning to miss Usenet.

I've started using adblock plus in Firefox as a particular blog that I
enjoy reading has popup ads on almost every word of the articles. I've
found that I now _miss_ the ads in gmail, as they are almost always
relevant to what I'm reading.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-×*-ס-×¢-×£-פ-×¥-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 05-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Celejar

On Tue, 13 May 2008 17:59:37 -0500
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso" <jordigh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually I didn't... It looks like an option, but now I'm flirting
> right now with the idea of using Lavabit, which looks like a nice
> alternative, and I'd be quite happy to pay for a quality webmail
> service (or at least pay what they're asking, which seems to be 16 USD
> per annum), except that they have all this "intellectual property"
> nonsense in their Terms Of Service.

I use several Lavabit free accounts, and I'm quite happy with them.
The intellectual property stuff doesn't really seem so bad:

<Quote>

Intellectual Property

You acknowledge that Lavabit owns all intellectual property related to
its website and the software used to provide its services. Accordingly
you agree not to copy, reproduce, modify, alter or create derivative
works based on the intellectual property of Lavabit.

</Quote>

IANAL, but AFAICT, all they're claiming are the rights to their
software and website. Is that really so objectionable?

> - Jordi G. H.

Celejar

Old 05-14-2008, 12:31 AM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

On 13/05/2008, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use several Lavabit free accounts, and I'm quite happy with them.

So why are you sending from a Gmail account?

> The intellectual property stuff doesn't really seem so bad:
>
> <Quote>
>
> Intellectual Property
>
> You acknowledge that Lavabit owns all intellectual property related to
> its website and the software used to provide its services. Accordingly
> you agree not to copy, reproduce, modify, alter or create derivative
> works based on the intellectual property of Lavabit.
>
> </Quote>
>
> IANAL, but AFAICT, all they're claiming are the rights to their
> software and website. Is that really so objectionable?

Well, the problem with software-as-service is that more and more
software is moving in that direction. Google, to mention the villain
du jour, has been exploiting the ASP loophole to take free software
without giving back. There are rumours of that fabled Ubunut
derivative that Google uses internally, and who knows, maybe it powers
some of their web servers, but Google hasn't released a single line of
code of that derivative, yet they're still profitting off it.

It's understandable that this is why Google doesn't condone the
AGPL[1] which is designed exactly to close this loophole that Google
and presumably Lavabit are exploiting. You take our free code, you
have to give back free code. It seems fair to me, but not to Google.

They keep saying that code is all going to move to the web browser. If
we tolerate non-free code on our browsers for much longer, then all
the work that has been done towards giving us all this free code could
be endangered. The AGPL is a necessity, and I think it's also
important that we insist upon its principles even if it still has a
very small level of adoption.

Well, so it seems to me. I'm open to hearing opposing viewpoints.

- Jordi G. H.
[1] http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/04/11/google_bans_aero/

Old 05-14-2008, 12:38 AM
Celejar

On Tue, 13 May 2008 17:59:37 -0500
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso" <jordigh@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any recommendation for a quality webmail service that uses free
> software? I don't mind paying for the service, but I feel rather more
> comfortable if I know that they use free software, maybe even Debian.
> :-) If not, I think I may try out Lavabit.

Look at Mailvault:

http://mailvault.com/

They run Apache / PHP / OpenSSL on Linux (Debian since 2005):

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph/?host=www.mailvault.com

Their specialty is web based OpenPGP, but the service works fine for
ordinary email.. I've dabbled with their free service for a few years,
but I haven't used them for serious work. The website is infrequently
updated, and consequently may be out of date. I'm not completely clear
what their business model is. They don't seem to offer a paid account
type, and they only run one ad, the same one all the time, for some
privacy services, but I've never investigated them. I like Mailvault;
they have a clean, simple website; they don't push ads in your face,
they seem to be concerned about privacy, they run Linux, and their
stuff works.

> - Jordi G. H.

Celejar

Old 05-14-2008, 02:01 AM
Steve Lamb

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

> Well, the problem with software-as-service is that more and more
> software is moving in that direction. Google, to mention the villain
> du jour,

Cute.

> You take our free code, you have to give back free code. It seems
> fair to me, but not to Google.

Uhm, that is a gross oversimplification. You use software you have the
right to the source. If you *choose* to release software *to others* they
have right to the source.

Hate to break it to you but I use FOSS all the time for my private and
personal use as well as my professional use. There is code I have that will
not ever be redistributed and as such you, nor anyone else, has right to that
source because you will never, EVER use it. That is my choice. On the other
hand if I did release it for others to use I would obligated to release the
source along with it. An obligation I have fulfilled on all the software I
have chosen to release for others to use.

They haven't released it for others to use. They're under no obligation
to share the source. That's not a loophole. That's freedom.

--
Steve C. Lamb | But who decides what they dream?
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | And dream I do...

Old 05-14-2008, 02:28 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-14-2008, 02:38 AM
"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso"

On 13/05/2008, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:

> Hate to break it to you but I use FOSS all the time for my private and
> personal use as well as my professional use. There is code I have that will
> not ever be redistributed and as such you, nor anyone else, has
right to that
> source because you will never, EVER use it.

Difference being that we do use Google's software but we aren't seeing
its source. It is the ASP loophole which the AGPL closes, and the more
we see software being distributed as service via our web browsers, the
more it's going to be like this.

- Jordi G. H.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:49 AM
"Mumia W.."

Hate to break it to you but I use FOSS all the time for my private and
personal use as well as my professional use. There is code I have that will
not ever be redistributed and as such you, nor anyone else, has right to that
source because you will never, EVER use it. That is my choice. On the other
hand if I did release it for others to use I would obligated to release the
source along with it. An obligation I have fulfilled on all the software I
have chosen to release for others to use.

They haven't released it for others to use. They're under no obligation
to share the source. That's not a loophole. That's freedom.

Exactly. Thank you for liberating me from having to write that.

What some people refer to as a loophole should actually be called
"vendor SaaS freedom." Vendor SaaS freedom just makes sense, and it
keeps OSS alive. If vendor SaaS freedom were taken away, OSS would start
facing major opposition from the many people who use OSS to make money
through software as a service.

There are some individuals companies who have the resources to build
services from scratch or to use proprietary software. These companies
have chosen OSS because it's better for their bottom lines and doesn't
conflict with their business models; however, they could as well choose
to develop and support proprietary software.

If we force OSS to conflict with the most important way people will make
money on the Internet in the future, we endanger the future of OSS.
Without at doubt, a significant number of people who are doing SaaS use
OSS because they can make money with it--not because of love for the
principles of OSS. But if free software moves against vendor SaaS
freedom, we'll lose these people.

Oh, and by the way, one of those "people" might be Google. Would we be
smiling if Google abandons its opensource efforts and throws its weight
behind proprietary software and Microsoft's TCPA?