Old 05-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Pigeon

Default Comcast, Verizon and Google censoring the internet?

Yeah, tin foil hats on... but SOMETHING weird is going on
and I suspect this is the best place to find people who can
tell me what. And after all my webserver does run Debian :-)

I've been noticing some very strange activity in my webserver
logs over the last few days. It only seems to happen to
people using American ISPs, mostly Comcast and Verizon.

What happens is I get a sequence of requests
for all the images off the root page of my website
http://pigeonsnest.co.uk - and only that site, it doesn't
seem to be happening to any others. The requests come in
the usual order corresponding to the order in which the
HTML references them, and have the expected Referer:
header of http://pigeonsnest.co.uk/ . But there is no
request for the actual HTML page, only the images off it.

Sometimes the sequence of requests for the images is
immediately preceded - as in so close in time that
the process forked to serve it gets the immediately
preceding process ID - by a request for the HTML page
which comes from an IP owned by Google.

So it looks like Comcast, Verizon and some others are
somehow proxying the requests for my HTML via some
server owned by Google. And unlike a normal proxy,
it caches the HTML for a long time but the images
not at all.

And it's not people reading the cached copy of my
site from the "Cached" link on a google search. When
people do that it is obvious from the Referer: headers.

And I can't see any reason why ISPs would proxy the
requests for the HTML and not the images unless they're
doing some kind of content filtering or censorship on
the HTML. How do I know that what Comcast/Verizon/etc
customers are seeing is what I published?

No doubt there will be several Comcast and Verizon
customers reading this message so I hope some people
will have some useful input.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon's Nest - http://pigeonsnest.co.uk/
Lucy Pinder Television - http://www.lucy-pinder.tv/
GPG key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x21C61F7F

Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Kevin Mark

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 07:10:10PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> Yeah, tin foil hats on... but SOMETHING weird is going on
> and I suspect this is the best place to find people who can
> tell me what. And after all my webserver does run Debian :-)
>
> I've been noticing some very strange activity in my webserver
> logs over the last few days. It only seems to happen to
> people using American ISPs, mostly Comcast and Verizon.
>
> What happens is I get a sequence of requests
> for all the images off the root page of my website
> http://pigeonsnest.co.uk - and only that site, it doesn't
> seem to be happening to any others. The requests come in
> the usual order corresponding to the order in which the
> HTML references them, and have the expected Referer:
> header of http://pigeonsnest.co.uk/ . But there is no
> request for the actual HTML page, only the images off it.
>
> Sometimes the sequence of requests for the images is
> immediately preceded - as in so close in time that
> the process forked to serve it gets the immediately
> preceding process ID - by a request for the HTML page
> which comes from an IP owned by Google.
>
> So it looks like Comcast, Verizon and some others are
> somehow proxying the requests for my HTML via some
> server owned by Google. And unlike a normal proxy,
> it caches the HTML for a long time but the images
> not at all.
>
> And it's not people reading the cached copy of my
> site from the "Cached" link on a google search. When
> people do that it is obvious from the Referer: headers.
>
> And I can't see any reason why ISPs would proxy the
> requests for the HTML and not the images unless they're
> doing some kind of content filtering or censorship on
> the HTML. How do I know that what Comcast/Verizon/etc
> customers are seeing is what I published?
>
> No doubt there will be several Comcast and Verizon
> customers reading this message so I hope some people
> will have some useful input.

Hi P,
I use Google Reader which is an RSS reader, maybe its doing this?
Or maybe someone is using your images on another website? I'm on
verizon, is there something I can test?
-K

--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|

Old 05-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hi Pi,

I have had this problem too

I have solved this piggy problem by installing a script "dontfoolme.php"
which serv the images and if the request does not come from inside my
Webspace I send piggy images back...

If you use in the HTML pages the full path for the images, you can run
SED over it and put the script in the front which looks like:

<SRC img="/path/to/some/image.png">
and then
<SRC img="/dontfoolme.php?pig=/path/to/some/image.png">

with this, your images must not be located in the HTML tree... but be
careful to send the right "image/..." header.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi