Old 05-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Ron Johnson

Default Setting Video Card

Old 05-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Benjamin Schmidt

Stephen Grant Brown wrote:

Hi All,

How do I tell the xserver what video card to use?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stephen Grant Brown

Assumed you have the x-server "xorg" in use...

A simple and quick configuration menu you get when you call the command:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

You find the main configuration file of xorg here:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

Additional information:

man xorg.conf

Nearly forgot: Be sure you have installed the specific driver as a
package like "xserver-xorg-video-nv" for example.

Best regards,
Benjamin Schmidt

Old 05-14-2008, 02:12 AM
Stephen Grant Brown

Dear Madams & Sirs

Thanks Benjamin Schmidt for your advice.

I have been spent about ten hours looking through documentation and
trying things but to no avail.

hwinfo told me that I had a Cirrus Lorgic GD5446 card but
xdebconfigurator did not use it. Instead it used a SiS card and X failed
to load.

Stephen Grant Brown

Old 05-14-2008, 02:51 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Benjamin Schmidt

Stephen Grant Brown wrote:

Dear Madams & Sirs

Thanks Benjamin Schmidt for your advice.

I have been spent about ten hours looking through documentation and
trying things but to no avail.

hwinfo told me that I had a Cirrus Lorgic GD5446 card but
xdebconfigurator did not use it. Instead it used a SiS card and X failed
to load.

Stephen Grant Brown

Before spending many hours trying to get a usable Xserver-configuration
(or other configs), I always used an live-cd like Sidux, Knoppix,
Kanotix or maybe Ubuntu (all Debian based). The distribution running the
best way, you can simply install on your harddisk or export the live-cd
X-configuration file.

Best regards,
Benjamin Schmidt

Old 05-17-2008, 04:51 PM
vvokong

*"dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" does not work, when i install lenny today.
.
This command only askes question for keyboard, and nothing for video card.

Finally, I got a xorg.conf with empty sections for video card, as following:

Section "InputDevice"
******* Identifier***** "Generic Keyboard"
******* Driver********* "kbd"
******* Option********* "XkbRules"***** "xorg"
******* Option********* "XkbModel"***** "pc104"

******* Option********* "XkbLayout"**** "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
******* Identifier***** "Configured Mouse"
******* Driver********* "mouse"

EndSection

Section "Device"
******* Identifier***** "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
******* Identifier***** "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
******* Identifier***** "Default Screen"
******* Monitor******** "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

When I install lenny about one week ago, this command works well.

What's wrong with it ?

Old 05-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Peter Kuma

vvokong wrote:
> "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" does not work, when i install lenny today.
> .
> This command only askes question for keyboard, and nothing for video card.

> When I install lenny about one week ago, this command works well.
> What's wrong with it ?

The bug was reported at
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=480883.

Peter Kuma