Old 11-17-2007, 04:17 AM
Martin McCormick

Default I've Done Something Wrong Setting up matchit.vim.

After appearing to successfully install a local .vim,
.vim/doc and .vim/plugin directory, I have the documentation for
the matchit.vim script and the matchit.txt help file. All seems
well until I load a shell script and move the cursor to an if
statement. If I hit the % key, the cursor is supposed to jump to
the else or endif statement for that clause. It appears to do
exactly nothing. I did put the lines

set nocompatible
:runtime macros/matchit.vim
:let b:match_words = &matchpairs

The only behavioral difference between vim without the
matchit script and with is that hitting the % key when matchit
isn't installed and the cursor is not on one of the
hot fields like (, etc, yields a beep. When matchit is
installed, the matchpairs part seems to work but the % key
causes absolutely nothing to happen.

Can anyone think of a reason for this? I also installed
vim and the matchit.vim script under FreeBSD with the same
odd behavior.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer