-   -   window manager (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/86854-window-manager.html)

Alex Samad 05-13-2008 09:08 AM

window manager

Hi

When I login into X from gdm I get XFCE, but when i login via startx at
the commandline prompt I get gnome, how do I change startx to do the
same as gdm ? or atleast to set it to xfce

alex

--
"I was not prepared to shoot my eardrum out with a shotgun in order to get a deferment. Nor was I willing to go to Canada. So I chose to better myself by learning how to fly airplanes."

- George W. Bush
02/25/1990
Dallas Morning News

Alex Samad 05-13-2008 09:22 AM

window manager

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 07:08:11PM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> Hi
>
> When I login into X from gdm I get XFCE, but when i login via startx at
> the commandline prompt I get gnome, how do I change startx to do the
> same as gdm ? or atleast to set it to xfce
typically i found the answer after posting to the list.

i updated

update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

to xfce, can this be set on a user by user basis ?

--
"The bottom line is simple: If Congress passes a law that does not clarify the rules, if they do not do that, the program is not going forward."

- George W. Bush
09/15/2006
Washington, DC
speaking with typical clarity at a White House Press Conference

Ron Johnson 05-13-2008 11:30 AM

window manager

Raj Kiran Grandhi 05-13-2008 12:48 PM

window manager

Alex Samad wrote:

Hi

When I login into X from gdm I get XFCE, but when i login via startx at
the commandline prompt I get gnome, how do I change startx to do the
same as gdm ? or atleast to set it to xfce

alex

Create a shell script .xsession in your home directory. Put whatever you
like in it, gnome-session or xfce-session. It will be executed whenever
you do 'startx'. When logging in from gdm select 'User Session' or
'XClient script' (whichever is present) and choose to make it the
default option if you like.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Ярослав Райченко 02-14-2010 01:10 PM

window manager

hi there,
could you please give me a lead to the file(s) responsible for Window
Manager Tweaks Compositor to edit in terminal. I want to cancel Enable
display compositing.
thanks.
Alex

--
Ярослав *айченко.

--
Скачай новую ICQ 7.0 http://icq.rambler.ru/

Vincent 02-14-2010 01:53 PM

window manager

2010/2/14 Ярослав *айченко <gruz222@rambler.ru>

hi there,

could you please give me a lead to the file(s) responsible for Window

Manager Tweaks Compositor to edit in terminal. I want to cancel *Enable

display compositing.

thanks.

Alex

--

Ярослав *айченко.
The Window Manager Tweaks application is xfwm4-tweaks-settings.

The command to turn off display compositing is: xfconf-query --channel=xfwm4 --property=/general/use_compositing --set=false

To turn it back on: xfconf-query --channel=xfwm4 --property=/general/use_compositing --set=true

Vincent

Ярослав Райченко 02-14-2010 06:53 PM

window manager

Title: Re: [xubuntu-users] window manager

> 2010/2/14 Ярослав *айченко <gruz222@rambler.ru>
>
> > hi there,
> > could you please give me a lead to the file(s) responsible for Window
> > Manager Tweaks Compositor to edit in terminal. I want to cancel
> Enable
> > display compositing.
> > thanks.
> > Alex
> >
> > --
> > Ярослав *айченко.
> >

> The Window Manager Tweaks application is xfwm4-tweaks-settings.
>
> The command to turn off display compositing is: xfconf-query
> --channel=xfwm4
> --property=/general/use_compositing --set=false
> To turn it back on: xfconf-query --channel=xfwm4
> --property=/general/use_compositing --set=true

Regards,

Thank You Vincent,
may be by any chance you know how to do the same for xubuntu 7.10.? It appears to be some difference. For instance, there is no xfconf command in ver.7.10.
Alex

Vincent 02-14-2010 08:03 PM

window manager

2010/2/14 Ярослав *айченко <gruz222@rambler.ru>

> 2010/2/14 Ярослав *айченко <gruz222@rambler.ru>

> > hi there,
> > could you please give me a lead to the file(s) responsible for Window
> > Manager Tweaks Compositor to edit in terminal. I want to cancel
> Enable
> > display compositing.

> > thanks.
> > Alex
> >
> > --
> > Ярослав *айченко.
> >

> The Window Manager Tweaks application is xfwm4-tweaks-settings.
>
> The command to turn off display compositing is: xfconf-query

> --channel=xfwm4
> --property=/general/use_compositing --set=false
> To turn it back on: xfconf-query --channel=xfwm4
> --property=/general/use_compositing --set=true

Regards,

Thank You Vincent,
may be by any chance you know how to do the same for xubuntu 7.10.? It appears to be some difference. For instance, there is no xfconf command in ver.7.10.

Alex

Sorry Alex, xfconf was introduced in 9.04, I can't remember what it was like before that, but it's probably in some config file in ~/.config.

However, I should also point out that 7.10 is no longer supported (i.e. doesn't receive security updates), thus it is highly recommended that you upgrade to a newer, supported version of Xubuntu. such as 9.10. Alternatively, if you wait two months, in April version 10.04 will be released with long term support, meaning it will receive updates for three years after its release.

Best,
--
Vincent