Old 05-13-2008, 12:44 AM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

Default Where does apt store its arch?

I've recently installed a 32-bit chroot on a 64-bit system with the
"--arch=i386" flag to debootstrap, but I can't quite figure out how apt
knows that I want to continue downloading i386 debs instead of amd64
debs. Where is this information stored?

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
-- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"

Old 05-14-2008, 01:43 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 05:44:50PM -0700, Todd A. Jacobs wrote:
> I've recently installed a 32-bit chroot on a 64-bit system with the
> "--arch=i386" flag to debootstrap, but I can't quite figure out how apt
> knows that I want to continue downloading i386 debs instead of amd64
> debs. Where is this information stored?

Probably the same way that apt knows on the amd64.

I don't know how, but I can imagine several ways:

- perhaps apt can determine its own binaries version (amd64, i386,
etc)

- there's a command (it was on the list recently) to tell what
architecture is being run).

However it happens, it happens. When I want to run aptitude in the
chroot, I just run:

# schroot -pc etch-ia32 /usr/bin/aptitude

and I get aptitude in the chroot with everything mounted that nees
mounted and I get the right debs. Go figure. This is debian: on a box
with enough oomph, it just works.

Doug.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:18 AM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 09:43:51PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> Probably the same way that apt knows on the amd64.

Which is...?

> However it happens, it happens.

Yes, but I'm looking for the non-hand waving explanation. When things go
wrong, knowing where to look for critical settings can mean the
difference between fixing something, or reinstalling.

YMMV.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:31 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 05:44:50PM -0700, "Todd A. Jacobs" <nospam@codegnome.org> was heard to say:
> I've recently installed a 32-bit chroot on a 64-bit system with the
> "--arch=i386" flag to debootstrap, but I can't quite figure out how apt
> knows that I want to continue downloading i386 debs instead of amd64
> debs. Where is this information stored?

It's built into apt using the configuration variable COMMON_ARCH
(apt-pkg/init.cc:36), which is set by "configure" from the output of
"dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH" (configure.in:91).

Daniel

Old 05-14-2008, 02:51 PM
"Todd A. Jacobs"

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 08:31:59PM -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:

> It's built into apt using the configuration variable COMMON_ARCH
> (apt-pkg/init.cc:36), which is set by "configure" from the output of
> "dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_ARCH" (configure.in:91).

Thank you! This was very helpful.

With the information you gave me, I found that apt-config treats:

APT::Architecture "i386";

as a compiled-in default, which can be overriden in /etc/apt/apt.conf.
So, if I needed to, I could override it there, although that would
probably be a daft thing to do in most cases.

For anyone else who may be curious, you can check architecture with:

apt-config dump | fgrep Arch (from apt package)
dpkg-architecture (from dpkg-dev package)

Thanks again for the help!