Old 05-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Rich Healey

Default Apt pinning suspect?

Hi List,

I've got a Lenny/Unstable/Experimental laptop that I use for work (yes,
i realise that precariously mixing 3 releases is stupid.. but I'm
committed now so oh well.)

Anyway, the point is that my pure unstable/experimental box at home has
pulled in all of kde 4 (version 4:4.0.72-1 0), but my laptop at work can
find kdebase 4:4.0.72-1 0, but the rest of kde4 is still
4:4.0.68+svn794641-1 as a result, it won't update, and is holding
various bits of my system back.

This is in apt-cache policy as well, so for example kfind (one of
kdebases's dependencies):

[xenia:/home/richo]# apt-cache policy kfind
kfind:
Installed: 4:4.0.68+svn794641-1
Candidate: 4:4.0.68+svn794641-1
Version table:
*** 4:4.0.68+svn794641-1 0
501 http://ftp.iinet.net.au experimental/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
4:3.5.9.dfsg.1-2+b1 0
500 http://ftp.iinet.net.au lenny/main Packages
499 http://ftp.iinet.net.au unstable/main Packages
4:3.5.7-3lenny1 0
500 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages
[xenia:/home/richo]#

But
[xenia:/home/richo]# apt-cache policy kdebase
kdebase:
Installed: 4:4.0.68+svn794641-1
Candidate: 4:4.0.72-1
Version table:
4:4.0.72-1 0
501 http://ftp.iinet.net.au experimental/main Packages
*** 4:4.0.68+svn794641-1 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
4:3.5.9.dfsg.1-2 0
500 http://ftp.iinet.net.au lenny/main Packages
499 http://ftp.iinet.net.au unstable/main Packages
4:3.5.7-3lenny1 0
500 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages
[xenia:/home/richo]#
[xenia:/home/richo]# cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release a=lenny
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 499

Package: *
Pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 501

[xenia:/home/richo]# cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
APT::Install-Recommends "false";
APT::Install-Suggests "false";
[xenia:/home/richo]#

Many thanks, and don't forget to snip all this

Old 05-13-2008, 03:22 AM
Jaime Tarrant

Rich Healey wrote:

I wonder whether having unstable pinned below 500, and stable having the
default value of 500 results in apt not looking at unstable, even when
installing packages from experimental?

What happens if you remove the unstable entry from preferences, or if
you change its preference to >=500 and then try to install the
experimental packages?

Old 05-13-2008, 05:54 AM
Rich Healey

Old 05-13-2008, 07:51 AM
Alex Samad

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 03:54:10PM +1000, Rich Healey wrote:

"Obviously, I pray every day there's less casualty."

- George W. Bush
04/11/2004
Fort Hood, TX

Old 05-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Rich Healey

Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Alex Samad

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 06:25:00PM +1000, Rich Healey wrote:

"There's no cave deep enough for America, or dark enough to hide."

- George W. Bush
08/29/2002
Oklahoma City, OK

Old 05-14-2008, 03:27 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 09:13:32AM +1000, Rich Healey <healey.rich@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> I've got a Lenny/Unstable/Experimental laptop that I use for work (yes,
> i realise that precariously mixing 3 releases is stupid.. but I'm
> committed now so oh well.)
>
> Anyway, the point is that my pure unstable/experimental box at home has
> pulled in all of kde 4 (version 4:4.0.72-1 0), but my laptop at work can
> find kdebase 4:4.0.72-1 0, but the rest of kde4 is still
> 4:4.0.68+svn794641-1 as a result, it won't update, and is holding
> various bits of my system back.

> This is in apt-cache policy as well, so for example kfind (one of
> kdebases's dependencies):
>
> [xenia:/home/richo]# apt-cache policy kfind
> kfind:
> Installed: 4:4.0.68+svn794641-1
> Candidate: 4:4.0.68+svn794641-1
> Version table:
> *** 4:4.0.68+svn794641-1 0
> 501 http://ftp.iinet.net.au experimental/main Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> 4:3.5.9.dfsg.1-2+b1 0
> 500 http://ftp.iinet.net.au lenny/main Packages
> 499 http://ftp.iinet.net.au unstable/main Packages
> 4:3.5.7-3lenny1 0
> 500 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages
> [xenia:/home/richo]#

Which architecture is this? According to packages.debian.org, kfind
version 4.0.72-4 is only available in amd64 for experimental.

Daniel