Old 05-12-2008, 07:16 PM
"H.S."

Default imagemagick convert command discard orientation exif info?

Hi,

On a Debian Lenny system, if I use the convert command to resize an
image taken with a digital camera, the resulting image file most of the
exif information but the orientation:

$> convert -resize 1024 -quality 75 img_6696.jpg img_6696_small.jpg
$> exif img_6696.jpg | grep -i orienta
Orientation |right - top
$> exif img_6696_small.jpg | grep -i orienta
Orientation |
$>

So, as shown above, the resulting image has the orientation information
discarded. Is this the expected behavior or a bug in imagemagick? I am
using imagemagick ver 7:6.3.7.9.dfsg1-2+b1. And how do I retain the
orientation information across convert operations?

Just to be complete, here are the exact differences in the two exif outputs:
$> diff img_6696.txt img_6696_small.txt
1c1
< EXIF tags in 'img_6696.jpg' ('Intel' byte order):
---
> EXIF tags in 'img_6696_small.jpg' ('Intel' byte order):
7,10c7,10
< Orientation |right - top
< x-Resolution |180.00
< y-Resolution |180.00
< Resolution Unit |Inch
---
> Orientation |
> x-Resolution |72.00
> y-Resolution |72.00
> Resolution Unit |Internal error (unknown value 1).
14,16c14,16
< x-Resolution |180.00
< y-Resolution |180.00
< Resolution Unit |Inch
---
> x-Resolution |72.00
> y-Resolution |72.00
> Resolution Unit |Internal error (unknown value 1).
$>

thanks,
->HS