Old 05-12-2008, 06:48 PM
ISHWAR RATTAN

Default apt-get question..

I have a debian system installed and want to dist
upgrade it, BUT I want apt--get dist-upgrade to upgrade
only the installed debs and not to download everything
under the sun!

Is such a thing possible?

-ishwar

Old 05-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Ishwar Rattan

I have a debian system installed and want to dist
upgrade it, BUT I want apt--get dist-upgrade to upgrade
only the installed debs and not to download everything
under the sun!

Is such a thing possible?

Define "download everything under the sun!". I say that, because a
dist-uprade *must* download all necessary packages.

Thanks that is clear now.

-ishwar

Old 05-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:

> I have a debian system installed and want to dist
> upgrade it, BUT I want apt--get dist-upgrade to upgrade
> only the installed debs and not to download everything
> under the sun!
>
> Is such a thing possible?

You might be looking for

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

hth
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 05-13-2008, 12:55 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:

I have a debian system installed and want to dist
upgrade it, BUT I want apt--get dist-upgrade to upgrade
only the installed debs and not to download everything
under the sun!

'apt-get dist-upgrade' does exactly that. It tries to update as many of
the installed packages as possible and may add/remove a few packages to
resolve dependencies and conflicts in a more intelligent manner that
'apt-get upgrade'

Is such a thing possible?

-ishwar

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Old 05-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Kevin Mark

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 04:10:38PM -0400, Ishwar Rattan wrote:

> On Mon, 12 May 2008, Ron Johnson wrote:

>> On 05/12/08 13:48, ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a debian system installed and want to dist
>>> upgrade it, BUT I want apt--get dist-upgrade to upgrade
>>> only the installed debs and not to download everything
>>> under the sun!
>>>
>>> Is such a thing possible?
>>
>> Define "download everything under the sun!". I say that, because a
>> dist-uprade *must* download all necessary packages.
>
> Thanks that is clear now.
If you want less stuff installed, then you can tell aptitude not to
install 'recommends',
-K
--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|

Old 05-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Chris Bannister

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 02:40:45AM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> If you want less stuff installed, then you can tell aptitude not to
> install 'recommends',

If a package is listed as a recommends and you consider it should only
be a suggests it is considered a bug.

--
Chris.
======

Old 05-14-2008, 01:31 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 11:03:59PM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 02:40:45AM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > If you want less stuff installed, then you can tell aptitude not to
> > install 'recommends',
>
> If a package is listed as a recommends and you consider it should only
> be a suggests it is considered a bug.

Yes but just because its recommended, things still work just fine. I
have all kinds of packages that don't have all the cruft that they
recommend.

If you have a simple one-liner that will provide you with a list of the
packages which are recommended by installed packages but which aren't
themselves insalled, let me know. I'll run it and send you the results.

Doug.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:24 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 09:31:15PM -0400, "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> was heard to say:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 11:03:59PM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 02:40:45AM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > > If you want less stuff installed, then you can tell aptitude not to
> > > install 'recommends',
> >
> > If a package is listed as a recommends and you consider it should only
> > be a suggests it is considered a bug.
>
> Yes but just because its recommended, things still work just fine. I
> have all kinds of packages that don't have all the cruft that they
> recommend.
>
> If you have a simple one-liner that will provide you with a list of the
> packages which are recommended by installed packages but which aren't
> themselves insalled, let me know. I'll run it and send you the results.

aptitude search '~Rrecommends:~i!~i'

or to ignore recommendations that are satisfied (e.g., ORs)

aptitude search '~RBrecommends:~i'

Daniel

Old 05-14-2008, 03:51 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 02:48:29PM -0400, ISHWAR RATTAN wrote:

> I have a debian system installed and want to dist
> upgrade it, BUT I want apt--get dist-upgrade to upgrade
> only the installed debs and not to download everything
> under the sun!

dist-upgrade will only upgrade those packages that are currently
installed with the exception of certain situations, where packages have
been replaced, for example. In that case some additional packages may
be added or removed. It will not download everything under the sun,
but depending on what is installed and how out-of-date your system is,
you may end up downloading and upgrading hundred of packages.

> Is such a thing possible?

If I understand your question properly, then yes.