-   -   2.6.25 + vga=791 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/86536-2-6-25-vga-791-a.html)

Gilles Mocellin 05-12-2008 06:39 PM

2.6.25 + vga=791

Le Monday 12 May 2008 15:52:15 Hugo Vanwoerkom, vous avez écrit*:
> Hi,
>
> In installing linux-image-2.6.25-1-686 I find I can no longer use
> vga=791 on the kernel commandline. I get "undefined videomode number:
> 317" that's 791 hex.
>
> I've been using vga=791 on kernels since time immemorial, what's wrong
> with it now?
>
> There is an alternative to that parameter:
>
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/
>
> but I'd like to know if anybody else using 2.6.25 has had problems with
> the vga= parameter, before I go into unknown territory...
>
> Hugo

Same problem here.
I don't know the good solution.

Alex Samad 05-12-2008 09:58 PM

2.6.25 + vga=791

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 08:39:20PM +0200, Gilles Mocellin wrote:
> Le Monday 12 May 2008 15:52:15 Hugo Vanwoerkom, vous avez écrit*:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In installing linux-image-2.6.25-1-686 I find I can no longer use
> > vga=791 on the kernel commandline. I get "undefined videomode number:
> > 317" that's 791 hex.
> >
> > I've been using vga=791 on kernels since time immemorial, what's wrong
> > with it now?
> >
> > There is an alternative to that parameter:
> >
> > http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/
> >
> > but I'd like to know if anybody else using 2.6.25 has had problems with
> > the vga= parameter, before I go into unknown territory...
> >
> > Hugo
>
> Same problem here.
> I don't know the good solution.
does this mean they have removed vesfb and moved to uvesafb ?

--
"The fact that he relies on facts -- says things that are not factual -- are going to undermine his campaign."

- George W. Bush
03/04/2000
on Al Gore, in the New York Times

"Sridhar M.A." 05-13-2008 01:29 AM

2.6.25 + vga=791

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 08:52:15AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

From my machine :

$ uname -a
Linux brahman 2.6.25-mas #2 SMP PREEMPT Sat Apr 19 07:43:57 IST 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Using vga=795 on my system.

> In installing linux-image-2.6.25-1-686 I find I can no longer use
> vga=791 on the kernel commandline. I get "undefined videomode number:
> 317" that's 791 hex.

I am using the kernel compiled from the vanilla source.

Sridhar M.A. GPG KeyID : F6A35935
Fingerprint: D172 22C4 7CDC D9CD 62B5 55C1 2A69 D5D8 F6A3 5935

BOFH excuse #303:

fractal radiation jamming the backbone

David Witbrodt 05-13-2008 01:45 AM

2.6.25 + vga=791

> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 08:39:20PM +0200, Gilles Mocellin wrote:
> > Le Monday 12 May 2008 15:52:15 Hugo Vanwoerkom, vous avez écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > In installing linux-image-2.6.25-1-686 I find I can no longer use
> > > vga=791 on the kernel commandline. I get "undefined videomode number:
> > > 317" that's 791 hex.
> > >
> > > I've been using vga=791 on kernels since time immemorial, what's wrong
> > > with it now?
> > >
> > > There is an alternative to that parameter:
> > >
> > > http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/
> > >
> > > but I'd like to know if anybody else using 2.6.25 has had problems with
> > > the vga= parameter, before I go into unknown territory...
> > >
> > > Hugo
> >
> > Same problem here.
> > I don't know the good solution.
> does this mean they have removed vesfb and moved to uvesafb ?

If I could pitch in my two cents here:

I have been using UVESA FB on an AMD64 machine since the beginning of the year -- it allows me to get my virtual terminals to run at 60 Hz, where VESA FB will only allow me to use 75 Hz. (Viewsonic recommends that my LCD monitor use a vert. refresh of 60 Hz at 1280x1024 in order to extend the life of the device.)

The Debian Kernel Team has certainly NOT moved to UVESA FB at all:

$ grep -i vesa /boot/config-2.6.25-1-amd64
# CONFIG_FB_UVESA is not set
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y

Usage of UVESA FB requires that 'klibc' (packaged for Debian under the names 'libklibc', 'klibc-utils', and 'libklibc-dev') be compiled against kernel sources that have been built with UVESA FB enabled; and it requires an "early userspace" helper program, 'v86d', that has not even been packaged for Debian.

If the kernel boot parameter "vga=791" is not working for someone, I would ask them for three pieces of information first, to rule out silly problems:

1. Have you changed your monitor to one that does not support the desired resolution?
2. Does your kernel configuration have the VESA framebuffer enabled?
3. If you use an initrd, is the VESA FB module present in it?

Only after determining whether the monitor supports the resolution, whether VESA FB is enabled in the kernel, and whether VESA FB is present in the initrd would I move on to deeper troubleshooting.

HTH,
Dave Witbrodt

Hugo Vanwoerkom 05-15-2008 01:46 PM

2.6.25 + vga=791

David Witbrodt wrote:

[...]

To get around the vga=791 problem (see below) I first tried UVESAFB.
I installed libklibc and klibc-utils but not libklibc-dev.
I installed v86d from Spock's website and added /sbin/v86d to the
initrd.image

So now I have: CONFIG_FB_UVESA=m CONFIG_CONNECTOR=m
But when I do: modprobe uvesafb I get:
[ 1236.882778] uvesafb: cannot reserve video memory at 0xe0000000

If the kernel boot parameter "vga=791" is not working for someone, I would ask them for three pieces of information first, to rule out silly problems:

1. Have you changed your monitor to one that does not support the desired resolution?
2. Does your kernel configuration have the VESA framebuffer enabled?
3. If you use an initrd, is the VESA FB module present in it?

Yes to all three. Yet linux-image-2.6.25-1-686 does not work with
vga=791 I filed a bugreport:

But when I compile my own 2.6.25.3 vga=791 works fine.

Hugo Vanwoerkom 05-15-2008 05:55 PM

2.6.25 + vga=791

David Witbrodt wrote:

[...]

Good job Dave for pointing out those klibc packages: I forgot :-(
libklibc-dev. Now following Spocks website verbatim I get uvesafb at bootup.

BTW I found out uvesafb was running when I had specified vga=791 and got
a 80x25 FB at boot.

Can you modigy uvesafb parms on the fly while running?

Hugo

David Witbrodt 05-16-2008 05:56 AM

2.6.25 + vga=791

Here's something funny:
I just saw this error message tonight, building a new machine with an integrated ATI X1200 GPU. I'm too tired to troubleshoot it until tomorrow, though.

> Good job Dave for pointing out those klibc packages: I forgot :-(
> libklibc-dev. Now following Spocks website verbatim I get uvesafb at bootup.

Hmm. I've been compiling my 'klibc' DEBs from scratch instead of using the precompiled packages from the repositories. It is interesting to see that you didn't have to do that, and were still able to get 'v86d' to run UVESA FB! The "spock" site states that 'klibc' must be built against a compiled kernel tree which has CONFIG_UVESA_FB enabled, so that's what I've been doing.
Looks like I need to experiment with your (easier) way! ;)

> BTW I found out uvesafb was running when I had specified vga=791 and got
> a 80x25 FB at boot.
>
> Can you modigy uvesafb parms on the fly while running?

Well, I believe that answer is yes. My purpose was to get my virtual terminals to run at 60 Hz vertical refresh, instead of the 75 Hz that my monitor (accurately) reports at boot. My monitor is able to do 75 Hz, but the manufacturer says that using 75 Hz at 1280x1024 may shorten its lifespan. I found that the NVidia FB, once the kernel developers added support for the GeForce 7XXX family, defaulted to 60 Hz because the monitor reports 60 Hz as its preferred vert. refresh. But 1280x1024@60 is not a standard VESA mode, so the VESA FB simply can't set it; after the boot sequence, VESA FB also does not allow changes to the virtual terminals' video mode. I don't want to use 'nvidiafb' because the X 'nvidia' driver cannot coexist with it. (I really hope to see a free source X driver with 3D acceleration soon that CAN work with 'nvidiafb'; it looks like the ATI drivers are already reaching a similar goal.)
To answer your question: if I run 'fbset -i' in a virtual terminal (I'm talking about using Ctrl-F1, not something like an xterm) I can discover the vert. refresh rate being used by the framebuffer driver. If I supply the boot parameter "video=uvesafb" on my "kernel" line in 'menu.lst', I get 1280x1024 at 75 Hz. (So, the driver correctly detects the optimal resolution, but uses the highest possible refresh rate reported by the monitor instead of the alternate rate it reports as preferred.) OTOH, if I supply a parameter like "video=uvesafb:1280x1023@60", then the virtual terminals are set to 1280x1024 at 60 Hz. Perfect!
Either way, I am also able to use 'fbset <mode>' to change the mode to a different vertical refresh. That makes me think I should say "yes" to your question. However, I never tried changing the resolution; my monitor in an LCD, and resolutions other than 1280x1024 look degraded. I would check for you right now, but that machine is in pieces in the other room because of a CPU upgrade. I can try it tomorrow, though. I believe it will work: the userspace 'v86d' utility stays in memory after boot, which makes it possible for UVESA FB to talk to the video card BIOS at any time (not just at boot time, like VESA FB).

If you compile your own kernels, there is some useful documentation about how to set your video mode for UVESA FB provide with the kernel sources. Let's say we are in the directory than contains the unpacked kernel source tree. You can take a look at this file:

linux-source-<version>/Documentation/fb/uvesafb.txt

(The first kernel which had this driver was 2.6.24, BTW.) The document was written by "spock" himself, and it is the second best source of info I've found besides the "spock" website.

HTH, and glad to hear about your success,
Dave W.