Old 05-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Jesse Sheidlower

Default Shutting off graphical ssh agent popup?

I'm running Lenny with Gnome on my ThinkPad. Previously, and
on all my other machines, when I launch an ssh command from
the command line, I would get an ssh password request on the
command line like

Enter passphrase for key '/home/login_id/.ssh/id_rsa':

(If I ran ssh-agent myself, I might go straight through; OK,
but this should be my choice.)

After a recent update, I'm now getting a window that pops up
that reads "Enter password to unlock private key. An
application wants access to the private key 'id_rsa', but it
is locked". I first have to kill this window before getting
back to the command line. How do I turn off this behavior? I
couldn't find anything in the Gnome menus that seems to
control this. I don't want Gnome deciding whether I should be
running an ssh agent or not.

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower

Old 05-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:38:56 -0400, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> I'm running Lenny with Gnome on my ThinkPad. Previously, and
> on all my other machines, when I launch an ssh command from
> the command line, I would get an ssh password request on the
> command line like
>
> Enter passphrase for key '/home/login_id/.ssh/id_rsa':
>
> (If I ran ssh-agent myself, I might go straight through; OK,
> but this should be my choice.)
>
> After a recent update, I'm now getting a window that pops up
> that reads "Enter password to unlock private key. An
> application wants access to the private key 'id_rsa', but it
> is locked". I first have to kill this window before getting
> back to the command line. How do I turn off this behavior? I
> couldn't find anything in the Gnome menus that seems to
> control this. I don't want Gnome deciding whether I should be
> running an ssh agent or not.

The ssh-agent is started by

/etc/X11/Xsession.d/90x11-common_ssh-agent

You can edit this file to make sure ssh-agent is not started
automatically anymore with the X session.

Another option might be to uninstall whatever package is responsible for
the popup window, e.g. ssh-askpass-gnome or gtk-led-askpass. (I don't
know Gnome well enough to be sure if this works, though.)

Florian |

Old 05-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 07:59:21PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> The ssh-agent is started by
>
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90x11-common_ssh-agent
>
> You can edit this file to make sure ssh-agent is not started
> automatically anymore with the X session.

Or actually: remove "use-ssh-agent" from /etc/X11/Xsession.options .

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 06-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Jesse Sheidlower

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 08:59:03AM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 07:59:21PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> > The ssh-agent is started by
> >
> > /etc/X11/Xsession.d/90x11-common_ssh-agent
> >
> > You can edit this file to make sure ssh-agent is not started
> > automatically anymore with the X session.
>
> Or actually: remove "use-ssh-agent" from /etc/X11/Xsession.options .

Following up after a long time, but neither of these solutions
works. However, I asked on a Gnome list, and learned that this
functionality is provided by the Gnome keyring. To shut it
off, you can go to GConf and set
/apps/gnome-keyring/daemon-components/ssh to false.

Hope this helps someone else.

Jesse Sheidlower