Old 05-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Default Incomplete downloads

I have a slow internet connection, and with large downloads it often happens
that the download sticks before it is complete.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem, and is there a way to solve
it? And, why does it happen? I'd be curious to know.

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

Old 05-12-2008, 03:07 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 01:01:33PM +0100, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> I have a slow internet connection, and with large downloads it often happens
> that the download sticks before it is complete.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this problem, and is there a way to solve
> it? And, why does it happen? I'd be curious to know.

What protocol, what program is doing the download?

I find it happens with http downloads with a browser. I'm assuming that
the web server is assuming high-speed internet and is timing-out before
things are complete on dial-up. Perhaps it has to do with
transparent-to-me proxies enroute.

I've never had the problem on ftp or rsync. For ftp downloads, I tend
to just use mc.

Doug.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Nigel Henry

At the risk of this reply being received by the list twice, I'm sending again,
as more than 2 hrs have passed since my first reply was sent.

<original reply>
On Monday 12 May 2008 14:01, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> I have a slow internet connection, and with large downloads it often
> happens that the download sticks before it is complete.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this problem, and is there a way to
> solve it? And, why does it happen? I'd be curious to know.
>
> Thanks for any help
> Rodolfo

Hi Rodolfo. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "the download sticks
before it is complete".

I've only got a 56k dialup connection, and have no problem downloading big
files, 700Mb .iso's for example. I use the KDE desktop, and use Kget, which
has resume support for the downloads, and that is assuming that the server
you are downloading from allows resuming a download, some don't.

For example, you lose your Internet connection, reconnect, and try to resume
the download. Most servers allow resuming the download and will carry on
where they left off, and the download will run to completion.

KDE's Konquerors default downloader doesn't have resume support (unless that's
changed), and is why I Use Kget. Firefox's default downloader doesn't have
resume support (as far as I can see, and have observed), so I installed the
Firefox extension "Flashgot", which allows you to use KDE's Kget, which does
have resume support.

I'm not sure if this is any help to you.

How big are the files you are trying to download? Just a thought, but perhaps
your ISP has a limit on the size of downloads. Perhaps not, but only a
thought.

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:21 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

I have a slow internet connection, and with large downloads it often happens
that the download sticks before it is complete.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem, and is there a way to solve
it? And, why does it happen? I'd be curious to know.

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

What kernel are you using? If it is >2.6.23 try this: echo 0
>/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_frto and try the download. If it does not
"stick" then the new tcp_frto is your issue. If that is the case,
kernel devs are working on a fix right now. For a work around do this:
add a line to /etc/sysctrl.conf net.ipv4.tcp_frto = 0 that will turn
tcp_frto to "off" when you boot. This issue you describe is close to
what others have complained of concerning this subject.

HTH.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Old 05-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Celejar

On Mon, 12 May 2008 19:08:58 +0200
Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

> KDE's Konquerors default downloader doesn't have resume support (unless that's
> changed), and is why I Use Kget. Firefox's default downloader doesn't have
> resume support (as far as I can see, and have observed), so I installed the

Firefox has basic download support, at least within the same session.
They are apparently working on major improvements for FF3, including
cross-session resume:

http://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox:3.0_Download_Manager

> Nigel.

Celejar

Old 05-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Rodolfo Medina

"Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> writes:

> I find it happens with http downloads with a browser. I'm assuming that
> the web server is assuming high-speed internet and is timing-out before
> things are complete on dial-up.

Yes, I think it must be something like that.

Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr> writes:

> Hi Rodolfo. I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "the download
> sticks before it is complete".
>
> I've only got a 56k dialup connection, and have no problem downloading big
> files, 700Mb .iso's for example. I use the KDE desktop, and use Kget, which
> has resume support for the downloads, and that is assuming that the server
> you are downloading from allows resuming a download, some don't.
>
> For example, you lose your Internet connection, reconnect, and try to resume
> the download. Most servers allow resuming the download and will carry on
> where they left off, and the download will run to completion.

`Sticks' means that sometimes it pretends that the file has been completely
downloaded whereas it isn't; some other times it just stops in the point where
it is and doesn't go further.

The problem seems to be solved using wget instead of mozilla, with the `-c'
option.

Many thanks to all who replied.
Rodolfo