-   -   problem occurs after upgrading to lenny (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/86114-problem-occurs-after-upgrading-lenny.html)

"Pete Kay" 05-12-2008 12:55 AM

problem occurs after upgrading to lenny

Hi,

I tried to upgrade to Lenny because Lenny has the latest Lua 5.3 version, but after I did the upgrade, not only Lua 5.3 is not installed, but apt-get starting to pop up errors every time I use it:

ser:/home/anne# apt-get install lua50

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree******
Reading state information... Done
lua50 is already the newest version.

* libpci2 libgail17 libgcj7-0 type-handling libsoup2.2-8 libwnck18
* libpoppler0c2 libdirectfb-0.9-25 libeel2-2.14 libiw28 libgucharmap4
* libmyspell3c2 libsnmp9 mkisofs libavahi-core4

5 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up exim4-daemon-light (4.69-2+b1) ...
Starting MTA:exim: incompatible command-line options or arguments

invoke-rc.d: initscript exim4, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing exim4-daemon-light (--configure):
*subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of at:

*at depends on mail-transport-agent; however:
* Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
* Package exim4-daemon-light which provides mail-transport-agent is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing at (--configure):

*dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of exim4:
*exim4 depends on exim4-daemon-light | exim4-daemon-heavy | exim4-daemon-custom; however:
* Package exim4-daemon-light is not configured yet.

* Package exim4-daemon-heavy is not installed.
* Package exim4-daemon-custom is not installed.
dpkg: error processing exim4 (--configure):
*dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bsd-mailx:

*bsd-mailx depends on exim4 | mail-transport-agent; however:
* Package exim4 is not configured yet.
* Package mail-transport-agent is not installed.
* Package exim4-daemon-light which provides mail-transport-agent is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing bsd-mailx (--configure):
*dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mailx:
*mailx depends on bsd-mailx; however:
* Package bsd-mailx is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing mailx (--configure):
*dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
*exim4-daemon-light
*at
*exim4
*bsd-mailx
*mailx

ser:/home/anne#

What is wrong?* How can I fix this?

Thanks
Pete

Florian Kulzer 05-12-2008 05:51 PM

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 08:55:49 +0800, Pete Kay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to upgrade to Lenny because Lenny has the latest Lua 5.3 version,
> but after I did the upgrade, not only Lua 5.3 is not installed, but apt-get
> starting to pop up errors every time I use it:

[...]

> Setting up exim4-daemon-light (4.69-2+b1) ...
> Starting MTA:exim: incompatible command-line options or arguments
> invoke-rc.d: initscript exim4, action "start" failed.
> dpkg: error processing exim4-daemon-light (--configure):
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

[...]

This is a known problem with Lenny right now:

It is fixed in Sid, but the corrected package cannot propagate to Lenny
at the moment. (This is related to perl, on which exim4-daemon-heavy
depends.)

http://packages.qa.debian.org/e/exim4.html
http://release.debian.org/migration/testing.pl?package=exim4

I think that installing the Sid version of exim4-base is the quickest
and easiest fix for Lenny users in the present situation.

Florian |

"Pete Kay" 05-16-2008 05:20 PM

problem occurs after upgrading to lenny

Hi,

I am having problem apt-get install even after attempting to install exim4-base.*
Here is the error:

ser:/home/anne# apt-get install exim4-base
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree******

Reading state information... Done
exim4-base is already the newest version.
* libpci2 libgail17 libgcj7-0 type-handling libsoup2.2-8 libwnck18

* libpoppler0c2 libdirectfb-0.9-25 libeel2-2.14 libiw28 libgucharmap4
* libmyspell3c2 libsnmp9 mkisofs libavahi-core4
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 49 not upgraded.

[...]

Is the new Lenny ready?* If so, how do I update my os?

Thanks,
Pete

--

Regards, * * * * * *| http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer

* * * * *Florian * |

Florian Kulzer 05-16-2008 06:03 PM

problem occurs after upgrading to lenny

[ Please stop top posting. Keep in mind that all list messages should be
easily understandable by every subscriber. Most people will not
remember our previous mails, and they should not have to scroll up and
down like crazy just to piece together the context of your latest
message. Please quote in normal conversation style, i.e. put your
answers below the questions. ]

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 01:20:19 +0800, Pete Kay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having problem apt-get install even after attempting to install
> exim4-base.
> Here is the error:
>
> ser:/home/anne# apt-get install exim4-base

[...]

> Setting up exim4-daemon-light (4.69-2+b1) ...
> Starting MTA:exim: incompatible command-line options or arguments
> invoke-rc.d: initscript exim4, action "start" failed.
> dpkg: error processing exim4-daemon-light (--configure):
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

[...]

> Is the new Lenny ready? If so, how do I update my os?

The fixed version of exim4-base is currently prevented from entering
Lenny due to its dependency on perl. This issue might still take a bit
to be sorted out.

If you want to install the fixed version from Sid then you need to do
the following:

1) Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list. Find the line(s) that relate to
"lenny" (or "testing", whichever you have used) and duplicate
it/them. Then change "lenny" (or "testing") to "unstable" in the new
line(s). Keep the original lenny/testing lines unchanged.

2) Run this command as root:

echo 'APT::Default-Release "testing";' > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/default-release

This should make sure that apt will not install packages from Sid
unless you explicitly tell it to. This means that you can upgrade
your Lenny system normally, once the exim4 problem is fixed.

3) Run "apt-get update". Then check with "apt-cache policy exim4-base"
that apt now knows about version 4.69-5+b1, but that it does not list
it as an installation candidate.

4) Run "apt-get install -t unstable exim4-base" and you should get the
fixed package(s). The "-t unstable" option tells apt that now, as an
exception, you want to install the unstable version if it is newer
than the currently installed one from Lenny.

Florian |