Old 05-11-2008, 09:04 PM
"Asuka Langley"

Default VNC / Vino / tightVNC question

Good day / Guten tag / Konnichiwa / Siema / Hola ..and so on..

Long: Sorry for asking a lot of things, but I have a problem again. I tried EVERY VNC server/client what were in the repo. So. My friend started a vnc server, thats okay. I tried to join, and it says 'connection closed' (I google-d it, it said its because the Viewer is v3, the server is v4)...nevermind, I tried to use then the 'VINO' inbuilt VNC viewer. (what is just calls the vncviewer again). So.. please tell me. How can we get a WORKING VNC connection between TWO Debian Lenny? ... Or at least..how to 'start' the vino VNC?..Or something like that? In default it just have 2 protocoll, what we were tried, but both of em failed. After the VNC install, a VNC protocoll was avaliable, I tried it, but thats what calls the other app...what is hopeless..

Short: How can I connect 2 Debian Lenny PC with VNC? (Join to the server from mine).. both of them is 32bit, not amd64..ah..and ..the two Lenny have Gnome.

ps.: Sorry for the long explanation .. I hope you can understand the meaning of the mail..

Asuka

Old 05-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Jeff

Asuka Langley wrote:

[...]

Just install vnc4server on the server(s) and xvnc4viewer on the
client(s). When you try to connect, monitor /var/log/syslog to watch
for rejected or dropped packets and, if any are encountered, adjust
firewall accordingly.

jeff

Old 05-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Asuka Langley wrote:

[...]

I am assuming that you want to access the physical display of the
server. Use can use the builtin vino server (assuming you are using
gnome). You can configure it by running `vino-preferences'. You should
"Allow other users to view your desktop" for the vino-server to start.

Then, install the xvnc4viewer package on the client to connect to the
server.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Old 05-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 05:04:49PM -0700, Jeff wrote:
> Asuka Langley wrote:

> >Short: How can I connect 2 Debian Lenny PC with VNC? (Join to the server
> >from mine).. both of them is 32bit, not amd64..ah..and ..the two Lenny
> >have Gnome.
> >
> >ps.: Sorry for the long explanation .. I hope you can understand the
> >meaning of the mail..
> >
> Just install vnc4server on the server(s) and xvnc4viewer on the
> client(s). When you try to connect, monitor /var/log/syslog to watch
> for rejected or dropped packets and, if any are encountered, adjust
> firewall accordingly.

Actually: not vnc[4]server: x11vnc (or the vino server, as mentioned
elsewhere), which attaches to an existing X11 display and serves it as a
VNC server.

VNC can also be tunneled nicely over ssh (using e.g. the -via option of
xvncviewer).

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend