Old 05-11-2008, 12:43 PM
steef

Default decoding ape_audiofiles

hi list is there a (debian) way to decode .apefiles into .flac or .wav
under etch? just to decode some fine jazz-music by tommy flanagan.

imo i need the mac-library, but this software seems to be unfree
i know of shntool, lame etc.

regards,

steef

Old 05-11-2008, 04:00 PM
mond

On May 11, 7:50 am, steef <debian.li...@home.nl> wrote:
> hi list is there a (debian) way to decode .apefiles into .flac or .wav
> under etch? just to decode some fine jazz-music by tommy flanagan.
>
> imo i need the mac-library, but this software seems to be unfree
> i know of shntool, lame etc.
>
> regards,
>
> steef

http://www.debian-multimedia.org
has mac library I think. Try it out.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Nicolas George

Le tridi 23 floréal, an CCXVI, steef a écrit*:
> hi list is there a (debian) way to decode .apefiles into .flac or .wav
> under etch? just to decode some fine jazz-music by tommy flanagan.
>
> imo i need the mac-library, but this software seems to be unfree
> i know of shntool, lame etc.

There is a Free monkeyaudio (= .ape) decoder in libavcodec/ffmpeg. I was
about to says that it was twice slower than the proprietary official
decoder, but I just re-did a benchmark and found exactly the same decoding
time, so either my memory was wrong or its performance has increased.

This decoder was merged in libavcodec last September; current Debian version
of libavcodec dates back to last March: you will have ti build your own.
Which is advisable anyway, since the Debian version lacks a lot of encoders.

Nicolas George

Old 05-11-2008, 08:51 PM
steef

Nicolas George wrote:

Le tridi 23 floréal, an CCXVI, steef a écrit :

hi list is there a (debian) way to decode .apefiles into .flac or .wav
under etch? just to decode some fine jazz-music by tommy flanagan.

imo i need the mac-library, but this software seems to be unfree
i know of shntool, lame etc.

There is a Free monkeyaudio (= .ape) decoder in libavcodec/ffmpeg. I was
about to says that it was twice slower than the proprietary official
decoder, but I just re-did a benchmark and found exactly the same decoding
time, so either my memory was wrong or its performance has increased.

This decoder was merged in libavcodec last September; current Debian version
of libavcodec dates back to last March: you will have ti build your own.
Which is advisable anyway, since the Debian version lacks a lot of encoders.

Regards,

thanks nicolas,

i 'll do just that.

regards,