Old 05-11-2008, 07:02 AM
"Pete Kay"

Default hostname question

Hi,

I am currently having 3 servers in the lan which is using dynamic IP addresses.* Each time the router is rebooted, I have to reconfigure all the db ips and server ips.*

Therefore, I want to assign host name to each machine such as "db" , "ser" etc, so that I don't use 192.168.x.x in my configure anymore.*

Is this something that can be done?* Could someone please give me some pointer on how to do it?

Thanks,
Pete

Old 05-11-2008, 07:20 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 03:02:12PM +0800, Pete Kay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently having 3 servers in the lan which is using dynamic IP
> addresses. Each time the router is rebooted, I have to reconfigure all the
> db ips and server ips.
>
> Therefore, I want to assign host name to each machine such as "db" , "ser"
> etc, so that I don't use 192.168.x.x in my configure anymore.
>
> Is this something that can be done? Could someone please give me some
> pointer on how to do it?

Some routers have the possibility to assign fixed IPs, but I guess you
already checked this.

It might also work without DHCP, did you try just putting a static
config in the respective /etc/network/interfaces? Also, if the router
has some kind of DNS caching it might be possible that it can also
resolve the names of your local machines.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 05-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Sharninder

I am currently having 3 servers in the lan which is using dynamic IP
addresses. Each time the router is rebooted, I have to reconfigure
all the db ips and server ips.

Therefore, I want to assign host name to each machine such as "db" ,
"ser" etc, so that I don't use 192.168.x.x in my configure anymore.

Why not assign ip addresses based on the mac adresses of the
individual machines. Since you don't have a big LAN addressing via /
etc/hosts should work fine for you and you don't need to learn
complicated DNS stuff.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:13 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 03:02:12PM +0800, Pete Kay wrote:
> I am currently having 3 servers in the lan which is using dynamic IP
> addresses. Each time the router is rebooted, I have to reconfigure all the
> db ips and server ips.
>
> Therefore, I want to assign host name to each machine such as "db" , "ser"
> etc, so that I don't use 192.168.x.x in my configure anymore.
>
> Is this something that can be done? Could someone please give me some
> pointer on how to do it?

The difficulty is that you would need to keep updating the DNS server
with the hostname/IP mapping every time the router is rebooted.

If its a rare event and you want just one config file to change, then
pick one of your boxes as the DNS server and install dnsmasq. Then put
the hostname/IP mappings in that boxe's /etc/hosts file. Have all the
other boxes use this box as their DNS server.

Alternatively, instead of as you have now (I think):

router/DHCPserver

__________________
| | |
box1 box2 box3

You could do either use one of your boxes as a router (if it has the
capacity) or add a third box of your own which you control between the
router and the network. But then what would be the point of the
commercial router? What does this router do other than dhcp and a
switch?

I've never owned a commercial router.

Doug.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Paul Johnson

On Sunday 11 May 2008 12:02:12 am Pete Kay wrote:

> I am currently having 3 servers in the lan which is using dynamic IP
> addresses. Each time the router is rebooted, I have to reconfigure all the
> db ips and server ips.
>
> Therefore, I want to assign host name to each machine such as "db" , "ser"
> etc, so that I don't use 192.168.x.x in my configure anymore.
>
> Is this something that can be done? Could someone please give me some
> pointer on how to do it?

You should be able to configure static host assignments in DHCP with your
router, though you might have to change firmware entirely.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca

Explaination of .pgp part: http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Mail/rant-gpg.html

Old 12-31-2009, 10:41 AM
"www.givemefish.com"

Hi all,

I have a home server setup running Lenny. I have a question about the
hostname and domain name.

On my server, I would like to host multiple websites using Apache and
virtual hosts.

I have a static IP address from my ISP over a DSL line. There is a
router (wireless and wired) which routes to different computers on our
office LAN, one of which is my server. I have configured the router to
use a static IP address for my server (192.168.0.248), with all the
other computers being assigned dynamic IPs via DHCP. The router
port-forwards the necessary incoming ports (HTTP, ssh) to my server.

My question is, how should my /etc/hosts file look. Here is what my
current hosts file looks like:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 MyLocalHostName.MyLocalDomainName MyLocalHostName

::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

My questions are:

*) Should I use the static IP assigned by my ISP or on the router? Or
is the above correct?

*) Can / should the local domain name (used in /etc/hosts) be different
from the domain name of the website(s) that I am hosting? ie, using
MyLocalDomainName rather than domainname I have registered for my website.

If I should use the registered domain name, how do I handle hosting
multiple domains on this server? Which domain name would I use?

*) How does this differ from what is saved in /etc/hostname? What if
these values differ? Who uses /etc/hostname?

*) My current /etc/hostname contains the single line:

MyLocalHostName.MyLocalDomainName

Is that correct?

Thanks for your help.
Matt.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:12 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 12:41:03 +0100, www.givemefish.com wrote:

> I have a home server setup running Lenny. I have a question about the
> hostname and domain name.
>
> On my server, I would like to host multiple websites using Apache and
> virtual hosts.

(...)

Let me first recommend you the reading of a very good article covering
Apache2 virtual hosts concept an management (name-based, not ip-based)):

Name-based Virtual Host Support
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/vhosts/name-based.html

> My question is, how should my /etc/hosts file look. Here is what my
> current hosts file looks like:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 127.0.1.1 MyLocalHostName.MyLocalDomainName MyLocalHostName

(...)

Do not care much about this, just be sure your DNS server (the
responsible to resolve the domains you are going to host) is properly
configured and redirecting the queries to your router.

Once the queries reach your server, Apache2 will handle the domains,
based on the setup you have specified for each of them.

> My questions are:
>
> *) Should I use the static IP assigned by my ISP or on the router? Or
> is the above correct?

If you have a DNS server making the resolutions for you, I guess /etc/
hosts files is not that relevant.

> *) Can / should the local domain name (used in /etc/hosts) be different
> from the domain name of the website(s) that I am hosting? ie, using
> MyLocalDomainName rather than domainname I have registered for my
> website.

If you are using your own DNS resolver, then yes, they have to match. But
not in /etc/hosts file but /var/lib/named (bind9) or whatever are loacted
the files to configure your DNS server.

> If I should use the registered domain name, how do I handle hosting
> multiple domains on this server? Which domain name would I use?

Apache2 handles on its own the domain name resolution, better read the
documentation I gave you before.

> *) How does this differ from what is saved in /etc/hostname? What if
> these values differ? Who uses /etc/hostname?

My wild guess is that "/etc/hostnames" is only used when you need to
resolver the named locally (on your intranet) but if you want the domain
names become available globally (on Internet) you should care the DNS
server settings, not /etc/hosts.

> *) My current /etc/hostname contains the single line:
>
> MyLocalHostName.MyLocalDomainName
>
> Is that correct?

It will depend on your desired configuration.

How are you (or who is) managing the DNS server in charge of name
resolution?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 01-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Avi Greenbury

www.givemefish.com wrote:
> *) Should I use the static IP assigned by my ISP or on the router? Or
> is the above correct?
The router should have the IP address from your ISP, it will forward
requests to your server as per your port forwarding rules.
The server doesn't exist on the internet as such, it is on your
internal network. Any external hosts on the internet that want to
connect to it will connect to your router, which decides which host on
your internal network they really want to connect to. I'd suggest a
brief look at Network Address Translation, since this is what lets the
router work like this.

> *) Can / should the local domain name (used in /etc/hosts) be
> different from the domain name of the website(s) that I am hosting?
> ie, using MyLocalDomainName rather than domainname I have registered
> for my website.
It can, and there's no technical reason for it to be either the same or
different.
I'd suggest a reading of the Apache2 docs on Virtual Hosts, they're
quite good: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vhosts/
Assuming, that is, you're using Apache2.x, though the configuration is
much the same for 1.3, from what I can recall.

> If I should use the registered domain name, how do I handle hosting
> multiple domains on this server? Which domain name would I use?
>
> *) How does this differ from what is saved in /etc/hostname? What if
> these values differ? Who uses /etc/hostname?

/etc/hosts is used by the OS for name resolution in the absence of
DNS (though when it exits it takes precedence). As far as I'm
aware, /etc/hostname is part of the same system.
You should use name VirtualHosts to allow Apache to handle hosting
multiple domains on the same server. The value of /etc/hostname just
allows the box to intercept connections to itself without them having
to go to the DNS server.

> *) My current /etc/hostname contains the single line:
>
> MyLocalHostName.MyLocalDomainName
>
> Is that correct?

That's of the correct form. Whether the data is correct or not depends
on the configuration of your network.
Who runs the network (and more pertinently the DNS server)? They should
have told you what your local hostname and domain are.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebite.co.uk