-   -   How do I get my Wintv PR USB2 card to work under Debian (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/85756-how-do-i-get-my-wintv-page-ranking-usb2-card-work-under-debian.html)

Norberto Feliberty 05-11-2008 02:25 AM

How do I get my Wintv PR USB2 card to work under Debian

Hi, I have a PVR USB2 tv card by Hauppauge and would like to know how do I enable this device in Debain. I am trying to wath tv with my card using vlc but when I try to open the tv card to watch tv, I get a message saying
Unable to open 'pvr://' How to I check the kernel to see if it is enabled in the kernel. Thanks.

[http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/betathanks/download/images/download_2.jpg]

Norberto

Kevin Mark 05-11-2008 04:01 AM

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 10:25:04PM -0400, Norberto Feliberty wrote:

> Hi, I have a PVR USB2 tv card by Hauppauge and would like to know how do I enable this device in Debain. I am trying to wath tv with my card using vlc but when I try to open the tv card to watch tv, I get a message saying
> Unable to open 'pvr://' How to I check the kernel to see if it is enabled in the kernel. Thanks.
>
> [http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/betathanks/download/images/download_2.jpg]
here are things to help us:
do:
plug in the usb tv card
% lsusb
give us the output
% tail -15 /var/log/messages
give us this output (as root)

these who should give messages if the kernel found the card, loaded a
driver and created a device in /dev/
-K
--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|

Dave Thayer 05-12-2008 05:01 AM

How do I get my Wintv PR USB2 card to work under Debian

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 10:25:04PM -0400, Norberto Feliberty wrote:

> Hi, I have a PVR USB2 tv card by Hauppauge and would like to know how
> do I enable this device in Debain. I am trying to wath tv with my
> card using vlc but when I try to open the tv card to watch tv, I get
> a message saying Unable to open 'pvr://' How to I check the kernel to
> see if it is enabled in the kernel. Thanks.

The mythtv wiki has a writeup about this device at:
<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-PVR-USB2>

This would make a good starting point even if you don't intend to
install a full-blown myth setup.

HTH

dt

--
Dave Thayer | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA | author is right there, in the room talking to