Old 05-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Ross Boylan

Default start-stop-daemon with LD_PRELOAD

I want to use LD_PRELOAD so that a program can use some code that
substitutes for the usual system calls. The program, bacula-fd, is
started by an init script that uses start-stop-daemon.

Is there a way to get this to work?

I've seen some prior discussion of this issue on this list, but the only
suggestion was to try to customize the default file or pass arguments to
the program being started. My understanding of LD_PRELOAD is that it
must be in the environment when the program is launched to be effective.

The LD_PRELOAD code, by the way, is designed to speed access to ext3
directories. Some of my backups are taking > 24 hours because the
default handling is so slow.

Thanks.
Ross Boylan