Old 05-10-2008, 11:00 AM
hce

Default Option to call apt install package to local directory

Hi,

What is the command to make "apt-get install package" to install the
package to my local directory rather than /usr?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim

Old 05-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 09:00:33PM +1000, hce wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the command to make "apt-get install package" to install the
> package to my local directory rather than /usr?

I don't know of any such option for dpkg (which is what apt uses to
actually install the packages), but maybe you should explain what your
real goal is. The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (see 'man hier') was
created for a purpose.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 05-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Micha

On Sat, 10 May 2008 14:27:15 +0300
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 09:00:33PM +1000, hce wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What is the command to make "apt-get install package" to install the
> > package to my local directory rather than /usr?
>
> I don't know of any such option for dpkg (which is what apt uses to
> actually install the packages), but maybe you should explain what your
> real goal is. The Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (see 'man hier') was
> created for a purpose.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

I'm also not aware of such an option. Depending on the package you may be able
to download only using apt-get -d install ... and then open it yourself.

To open the package you have

ar x <package>
and then there should be a file something like data.tar.gz that contains the
actual installation tree

Old 05-10-2008, 03:42 PM
"Mumia W.."