Old 05-10-2008, 10:57 AM
hce

Default HTMLVIEW to read mutt HTML email from browser

Hi,

In FC6, it automatically launches the browser when I open an HTML
email in mutt. I've just learned because the FC has its own htmlview.
Is it possible to set that feature in Debian as well to display the
HTML emails in a browser when I open an html email in mutt? Please
elaborate it.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Jim

Old 05-10-2008, 11:22 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 08:57:20PM +1000, hce wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In FC6, it automatically launches the browser when I open an HTML
> email in mutt. I've just learned because the FC has its own htmlview.
> Is it possible to set that feature in Debian as well to display the
> HTML emails in a browser when I open an html email in mutt? Please
> elaborate it.

It depends what your definition of view is. I have this in .muttrc

,----[ .muttrc ]
| # view html mails as text
| set implicit_autoview
|
| # prefer text over html
| alternative_order text/plain text/html
`----

With this the html is rendered to text inside the mutt pager. You also
need some program installed to process the html. I have lynx and links2
installed, but don't know which one is used.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 05-11-2008, 05:42 AM
hce

On 5/10/08, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 08:57:20PM +1000, hce wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In FC6, it automatically launches the browser when I open an HTML
> > email in mutt. I've just learned because the FC has its own htmlview.
> > Is it possible to set that feature in Debian as well to display the
> > HTML emails in a browser when I open an html email in mutt? Please
> > elaborate it.
>

> It depends what your definition of view is. I have this in .muttrc
>
> ,----[ .muttrc ]
> | # view html mails as text
> | set implicit_autoview
> |
> | # prefer text over html
> | alternative_order text/plain text/html
> `----
>
> With this the html is rendered to text inside the mutt pager. You also
> need some program installed to process the html. I have lynx and links2
> installed, but don't know which one is used.

I prefer to view the html emails in firefox. I guess lynx may also do
the view, but I never use the lynx before.

Thanks Andrei.

Jim

Old 05-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 03:42:26PM +1000, hce wrote:
> On 5/10/08, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 08:57:20PM +1000, hce wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > In FC6, it automatically launches the browser when I open an HTML
> > > email in mutt. I've just learned because the FC has its own htmlview.
> > > Is it possible to set that feature in Debian as well to display the
> > > HTML emails in a browser when I open an html email in mutt? Please
> > > elaborate it.
> >

> > It depends what your definition of view is. I have this in .muttrc
> >
> > ,----[ .muttrc ]
> > | # view html mails as text
> > | set implicit_autoview
> > |
> > | # prefer text over html
> > | alternative_order text/plain text/html
> > `----
> >
> > With this the html is rendered to text inside the mutt pager. You also
> > need some program installed to process the html. I have lynx and links2
> > installed, but don't know which one is used.
>
> I prefer to view the html emails in firefox. I guess lynx may also do
> the view, but I never use the lynx before.

the benefit to Andrei's method (which I use as well **) is that you
don't have to change windows or wait for a browser to start up (well,
okay, technically you do...). The html just pops up rendered right in
the frame. Very easy.

**

like this:

.muttrc

set mailcap_path=~/.mutt_mailcap
alternative_order text/plain text/html
auto_view text/html

and then in ~/.mutt_mailcap

text/html; /usr/bin/w3m '%s'; needsterminal; description=HTML Text; /
nametemplate=%s.html

spawns w3m right in the terminal.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:06 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 09:41:11AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> the benefit to Andrei's method (which I use as well **) is that you
> don't have to change windows or wait for a browser to start up (well,
> okay, technically you do...). The html just pops up rendered right in
> the frame. Very easy.

I've never had to wait for lynx to start up, even on my 486. I just hit
"v" or whatever it is, choose the html file, hit enter, and I get lynx.

I'd rather have some controll over which html files I open.

Doug.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:53 AM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 01:06:55PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 09:41:11AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> > the benefit to Andrei's method (which I use as well **) is that you
> > don't have to change windows or wait for a browser to start up (well,
> > okay, technically you do...). The html just pops up rendered right in
> > the frame. Very easy.
>
> I've never had to wait for lynx to start up, even on my 486. I just hit
> "v" or whatever it is, choose the html file, hit enter, and I get lynx.

note my snarky "well, okay, technically you do...". I was referring to trying
to open into a big gui browser that takes some time to load versus the
text browsers which load in almost no time. But, regardless of which,
you *do* have to wait for it to start up (unless it's already
open). The amount of waiting may be very small.

> I'd rather have some controll over which html files I open.

yeah.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:14 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 08:53:56PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 01:06:55PM -0400, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> > On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 09:41:11AM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > I've never had to wait for lynx to start up, even on my 486. I just hit
> > "v" or whatever it is, choose the html file, hit enter, and I get lynx.
>
> note my snarky "well, okay, technically you do...". I was referring to trying
> to open into a big gui browser that takes some time to load versus the
> text browsers which load in almost no time. But, regardless of which,
> you *do* have to wait for it to start up (unless it's already
> open). The amount of waiting may be very small.

I don't call a wait something that happens while I blink. If you use
mutt in X, can you tell it what browser to open? Sure Konqueror or
Iceweasel will take lots of time but dillo or links won't. I'm assuming
that an html email won't need javascript so dillo should be just fine.
If you don't care about any images, just have it open lynx in the same
window.

Doug.