Old 05-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Kum Gabor

Default network card change

Hello Everybody!

I need a little help with setting up a new network card:
I changed mainboard in my computer, and I have new integrated network card,
works with forcedeth module, but I don't know how to set up.
I tried modprobe forcedeth, but not appears eth0.
Can somebody help me, what should I do?
Distro is Etch.

Thanks,

--
Kum Gabor
www.kumgabor.hu

Old 05-10-2008, 10:23 AM
"thveillon.debian"

Kum Gabor a écrit :

Hello Everybody!

I need a little help with setting up a new network card:
I changed mainboard in my computer, and I have new integrated network card,
works with forcedeth module, but I don't know how to set up.

I tried modprobe forcedeth, but not appears eth0.
Can somebody help me, what should I do?
Distro is Etch.

Thanks,

What does /sbin/ifconfig -a says about the interface ?

Did you use a fresh install or a previously installed system, if it's
not a clean install the "eth0" identifier can be retained by some udev
rule in* */etc/udev/rules.d/yx_persistent-net.rules where "yx" are
random numbers. Interface names are associated with MAC addresses and
not released when the interface is gone* *unless the rule is erased or
changed.

Tom
****

Old 05-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Kum Gabor

On Saturday 10 May 2008 12:23, thveillon.debian wrote:
> Kum Gabor a écrit :
> > Hello Everybody!
> >
> > I need a little help with setting up a new network card:
> > I changed mainboard in my computer, and I have new integrated network
> > card, works with forcedeth module, but I don't know how to set up.
> > I tried modprobe forcedeth, but not appears eth0.
> > Can somebody help me, what should I do?
> > Distro is Etch.
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> What does /sbin/ifconfig -a says about the interface ?
>
> Did you use a fresh install or a previously installed system, if it's
> not a clean install the "eth0" identifier can be retained by some udev
> rule in* */etc/udev/rules.d/yx_persistent-net.rules where "yx" are
> random numbers. Interface names are associated with MAC addresses and
> not released when the interface is gone* *unless the rule is erased or
> changed.
>
> Tom
> ****

Thanks!
Found eth6 device! I changed name in udev and now works perfectly!

Best regards,

--
Kum Gabor
www.kumgabor.hu

Old 05-11-2008, 12:16 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 08:34:31PM +0200, Kum Gabor wrote:
> On Saturday 10 May 2008 12:23, thveillon.debian wrote:
> > Kum Gabor a ??crit :
> > > I need a little help with setting up a new network card:
> > > I changed mainboard in my computer, and I have new integrated network
> > > card, works with forcedeth module, but I don't know how to set up.
> > > I tried modprobe forcedeth, but not appears eth0.
> > > Can somebody help me, what should I do?
> > > Distro is Etch.
> >
> > What does /sbin/ifconfig -a says about the interface ?
> >
> > Did you use a fresh install or a previously installed system, if it's
> > not a clean install the "eth0" identifier can be retained by some udev
> > rule in* */etc/udev/rules.d/yx_persistent-net.rules where "yx" are
> > random numbers. Interface names are associated with MAC addresses and
> > not released when the interface is gone* *unless the rule is erased or
> > changed.
> Found eth6 device! I changed name in udev and now works perfectly!

FYI, you didn't need to change udev, you could have just changed
/etc/network/interfaces to use eth6 instead of eth0.

Doug.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:56 PM
steef

Kum Gabor wrote:

Hello Everybody!

I need a little help with setting up a new network card:
I changed mainboard in my computer, and I have new integrated network card,
works with forcedeth module, but I don't know how to set up.

I tried modprobe forcedeth, but not appears eth0.
Can somebody help me, what should I do?
Distro is Etch.

Thanks,

change in /etc/network/interfaces ethx into eth6

reg.,

steef