-   -   File Permissions (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/85366-file-permissions.html)

"Insane Boi" 05-10-2008 05:29 AM

File Permissions

Unique question, Pidgin (aka gaim) has some configuration files.* I
would like to have these configuration files remain
untouched/unmodified, but readable.* I am running pidgin under a normal
user account.* Here is what I tried:

chmod 004 file.xml
sudo chown root:root file.xml

Launch pidgin as user -> In theory, pidgin would be able to read the file.xml, but unable to modify it.
After pidgin launches, file.xml permissions become 600 owned by user:user and can be modified.

I don't understand this, as since the file is owned by root, and
the user has no permissions to modify the file, how can a program
running under that user's account modify and change the file
permissions?* Shouldn't the file permissions prevent the modification
of this file?

Thanks.

Raj Kiran Grandhi 05-10-2008 06:50 AM

File Permissions

Insane Boi wrote:
Unique question, Pidgin (aka gaim) has some configuration files. I
would like to have these configuration files remain
untouched/unmodified, but readable. I am running pidgin under a normal
user account. Here is what I tried:

chmod 004 file.xml
sudo chown root:root file.xml

Launch pidgin as user -> In theory, pidgin would be able to read the
file.xml, but unable to modify it.
After pidgin launches, file.xml permissions become 600 owned by
user:user and can be modified.

I don't understand this, as since the file is owned by root, and the
user has no permissions to modify the file, how can a program running
under that user's account modify and change the file permissions?
Shouldn't the file permissions prevent the modification of this file?

Thanks.

Pidgin is probable deleting the original file and recreating it. My
guess is that the directory still belongs to that user, so the user is
free to delete any file in that directory (even though the file is owned
by somebody)

You may want to try chattr to set the 'i' attribute on the relevant file.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Dick Dowdell 02-20-2010 01:10 AM

File permissions

Hi,
I'm not really a newbie, but I apparently understand less about Linux file permissions than I thought.

I have a file with the following permissions *-rwxrw-r-x user1:groupa

When logged in as a user in "groupa", why can't I edit that file?

Thanks,
Dick Dowdell
508-498-7919/508-528-4018

Rashkae 02-20-2010 05:49 AM

File permissions

Dick Dowdell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not really a newbie, but I apparently understand less about Linux file
> permissions than I thought.
>
> I have a file with the following permissions -rwxrw-r-x user1:groupa
>
> When logged in as a user in "groupa", why can't I edit that file?
>
> Thanks,
> Dick Dowdell
> 508-498-7919/508-528-4018

I don't know, but it's not because of the file permissions. At least,
not as is in your e-mail.

"Karl F. Larsen" 02-20-2010 01:22 PM

File permissions

Dick Dowdell wrote, On 02/19/2010 07:10 PM:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not really a newbie, but I apparently understand less about Linux file
> permissions than I thought.
>
> I have a file with the following permissions -rwxrw-r-x user1:groupa
>
> When logged in as a user in "groupa", why can't I edit that file?
>
> Thanks,
> Dick Dowdell
> 508-498-7919/508-528-4018

I think what you are showing says that root can rwx which is
read write execute, and YOU can rw, and everyone can read but
the last execute seems wrong.

I suggest you use chown and redo the ownership of that file.
See man chown for what to do and use sudo for root.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Dick Dowdell 02-20-2010 03:29 PM

File permissions

My thanks to those who responded. *The problem is solved. *The permission problem was with the .nano.history file, not with the file I was trying to edit.

Tony Arnold 02-20-2010 06:50 PM

File permissions

Dick,

Dick Dowdell wrote:

> I'm not really a newbie, but I apparently understand less about Linux
> file permissions than I thought.
>
> I have a file with the following permissions -rwxrw-r-x user1:groupa
>
> When logged in as a user in "groupa", why can't I edit that file?

I think groupa needs write access to the directory the the file is in
for you to be able to edit the file.

Regards,
Tony.

Smoot Carl-Mitchell 02-20-2010 11:45 PM

File permissions

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 19:50 +0000, Tony Arnold wrote:
> Dick,
>
> Dick Dowdell wrote:
>
> > I'm not really a newbie, but I apparently understand less about Linux
> > file permissions than I thought.
> >
> > I have a file with the following permissions -rwxrw-r-x user1:groupa
> >
> > When logged in as a user in "groupa", why can't I edit that file?
>
> I think groupa needs write access to the directory the the file is in
> for you to be able to edit the file.

It may depend on the editor you are using. With vim, I can edit a file
with group write permission in a directory I only have read permission
on. gedit complains about not being able to create a backup file. What
error message are you getting and what editor are you using?

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and

Gryllida 07-13-2010 08:11 AM

file permissions

Hello. I store some files on a windows XP machine. The windows user
shared them with permission everyone full control.

I'm on Ubuntu 10.04, and while being able to edit them all-right,
when I make new files, they have only me on the permissions list.
resulting in the windows user unable to open them...

The files themselves are stored on the other machine, not on this one
, I get to it by smb://ip/.

What can I configure to fix it?

Possibly to make the files I create inherit the permissions of the
directory I'm making them in?

Anggi Lesmana 07-13-2010 09:22 AM

file permissions

Please try this method, type on your terminal :

$ sudo chmod 777 -R /your/sambasharefolder