Old 07-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Gryllida

Default file permissions

On 7/13/10, Anggi Lesmana <alesmana2010@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please try this method, type on your terminal :
>
> $ sudo chmod 777 -R /your/sambasharefolder

What does it do?

Old 07-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 7/13/2010 3:12 PM, Gryllida wrote:
> What does it do?

$: man chmod
chmod -- change file modes or Access Control Lists

Octal Text Binary Description
0 --- 000 All types of access are denied
1 --x 001 Execute access is allowed only
2 -w- 010 Write access is allowed only
3 -wx 011 Write and execute access are allowed
4 r-- 100 Read access is allowed only
5 r-x 101 Read and execute access are allowed
6 rw- 110 Read and write access are allowed
7 rwx 111 Everything is allowed

Normally you work with Octal or Text EXP:
$: chmod +rwx /file.txt
$: chmod 777 /file.txt

-R flag is (as usual) recursive so if you are wanting to make all files
executable in a folder you would normally pass the recursive command.
Never at the end and always before the file name. EXP:

$: chmod -R +x /path/to/folder

If I remember right, you can also just skip the -R (unless you want to
go deeper) and just do a * which will tap all the files in that level of
the folder, EXP:

$: chmod +x /path/to/folder/*

--
Cheers,

Jordon Bedwell
http://envygeeks.com

Old 07-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Gryllida

On 7/14/10, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
> $: man chmod
> chmod -- change file modes or Access Control Lists
>
> Octal Text Binary Description
> 0 --- 000 All types of access are denied
> 1 --x 001 Execute access is allowed only
> 2 -w- 010 Write access is allowed only
> 3 -wx 011 Write and execute access are allowed
> 4 r-- 100 Read access is allowed only
> 5 r-x 101 Read and execute access are allowed
> 6 rw- 110 Read and write access are allowed
> 7 rwx 111 Everything is allowed

I see, thanks.

> Normally you work with Octal or Text EXP:
> $: chmod +rwx /file.txt

This one allows everything for this file. For which user?

> $: chmod 777 /file.txt

What does this line do?

> -R flag is (as usual) recursive so if you are wanting to make all files
> executable in a folder you would normally pass the recursive command.
> Never at the end and always before the file name. EXP:
>
> $: chmod -R +x /path/to/folder
>
> If I remember right, you can also just skip the -R (unless you want to
> go deeper) and just do a * which will tap all the files in that level of
> the folder, EXP:
>
> $: chmod +x /path/to/folder/*

Okay, this is to make these files executable, looks like not needed in
this case.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 7/13/2010 3:48 PM, Gryllida wrote:

>>> On 7/13/10, Anggi Lesmana <alesmana2010@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Please try this method, type on your terminal :
>>>
>>> $ sudo chmod 777 -R /your/sambasharefolder
>

>> On 7/14/10, Gryllida <gryllida@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What does it do?
>
> On 7/14/10, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
>> $: man chmod
>> chmod -- change file modes or Access Control Lists
>>
>> Octal Text Binary Description
>> 0 --- 000 All types of access are denied
>> 1 --x 001 Execute access is allowed only
>> 2 -w- 010 Write access is allowed only
>> 3 -wx 011 Write and execute access are allowed
>> 4 r-- 100 Read access is allowed only
>> 5 r-x 101 Read and execute access are allowed
>> 6 rw- 110 Read and write access are allowed
>> 7 rwx 111 Everything is allowed
>>

> I see, thanks.
>
>> Normally you work with Octal or Text EXP:
>> $: chmod +rwx /file.txt
>
> This one allows everything for this file. For which user?
>
>> $: chmod 777 /file.txt
>
> What does this line do?
>

>> -R flag is (as usual) recursive so if you are wanting to make all files
>> executable in a folder you would normally pass the recursive command.
>> Never at the end and always before the file name. EXP:
>>
>> $: chmod -R +x /path/to/folder
>>
>> If I remember right, you can also just skip the -R (unless you want to
>> go deeper) and just do a * which will tap all the files in that level of
>> the folder, EXP:
>>
>> $: chmod +x /path/to/folder/*
>
> Okay, this is to make these files executable, looks like not needed in
> this case.
>

>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jordon Bedwell
>> http://envygeeks.com
>>
>> --

777 is +rwx (read write execute). To further elaborate why we have 3
numbers is because we have, owner, group and others. So the first 7 is
owner, second is group and third is others. So 744 would be rwx for you,
read for your group and read for everyone else.

--
Cheers,

Jordon Bedwell
http://envygeeks.com

Old 07-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Gryllida

On 7/14/10, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:

>>> On 7/14/10, Gryllida <gryllida@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What does it do?
>>
>> On 7/14/10, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
>>> $: man chmod
>>> chmod -- change file modes or Access Control Lists
>>>
>>> Octal Text Binary Description
>>> 0 --- 000 All types of access are denied
>>> 1 --x 001 Execute access is allowed only
>>> 2 -w- 010 Write access is allowed only
>>> 3 -wx 011 Write and execute access are allowed
>>> 4 r-- 100 Read access is allowed only
>>> 5 r-x 101 Read and execute access are allowed
>>> 6 rw- 110 Read and write access are allowed
>>> 7 rwx 111 Everything is allowed
>>>

>> I see, thanks.
>>

>>> $: chmod 777 /file.txt
>>
>> What does this line do?

> 777 is +rwx (read write execute). To further elaborate why we have 3
> numbers is because we have, owner, group and others. So the first 7 is
> owner, second is group and third is others. So 744 would be rwx for you,
> read for your group and read for everyone else.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Jordon Bedwell
> http://envygeeks.com
>>> Normally you work with Octal or Text EXP:
>>> $: chmod +rwx /file.txt
>>
>> This one allows everything for this file. For which user?

Thanks for the 777 explanation,
can you please reply to this question as well? ----^

I don't understand who exactly would be grated the read/write/whatever
access in this case.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Colin Law

On 13 July 2010 22:00, Gryllida <gryllida@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I see, thanks.

>>> What does this line do?
>
>> 777 is +rwx (read write execute). *To further elaborate why we have 3
>> numbers is because we have, owner, group and others. So the first 7 is
>> owner, second is group and third is others. So 744 would be rwx for you,
>> read for your group and read for everyone else.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Jordon Bedwell
>> http://envygeeks.com
>>>
>>> This one allows everything for this file. For which user?
>
> Thanks for the 777 explanation,
> can you please reply to this question as well? ----^
>
> I don't understand who exactly would be grated the read/write/whatever
> access in this case.

The first 7 says that the you (the user who does the chmod command)
can do everything, the second applies to the group, I don't think
windows supports groups so probably not relevant, and the third says
that any other user can rwx.

Colin

Old 07-13-2010, 09:15 PM
C de-Avillez

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 06:30:42 +0930

> >> This one allows everything for this file. For which user?
>
> Thanks for the 777 explanation,
> can you please reply to this question as well? ----^
>
> I don't understand who exactly would be grated the read/write/whatever
> access in this case.

A quick test shows:

cerdea@xango2:/tmp$ touch test
cerdea@xango2:/tmp$ ls -l test
cerdea@xango2:/tmp$ chmod +rwx test
cerdea@xango2:/tmp$ ls -l test
-rwxr-xr-x 1 cerdea cerdea 0 Jul 13 16:14 test
cerdea@xango2:/tmp$

Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Dave Woyciesjes

On 07/13/2010 05:12 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 13 July 2010 22:00, Gryllida<gryllida@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> 777 is +rwx (read write execute). To further elaborate why we have 3
>>> numbers is because we have, owner, group and others. So the first 7 is
>>> owner, second is group and third is others. So 744 would be rwx for you,
>>> read for your group and read for everyone else.

>> Thanks for the 777 explanation,
>> can you please reply to this question as well? ----^
>>
>> I don't understand who exactly would be grated the read/write/whatever
>> access in this case.
>
> The first 7 says that the you (the user who does the chmod command)
> can do everything, the second applies to the group, I don't think
> windows supports groups so probably not relevant, and the third says
> that any other user can rwx.

Actually the first number refers to the owner of the file.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

Old 07-13-2010, 10:40 PM