Old 05-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Frank McCormick

Default decoding

Old 05-10-2008, 01:35 AM
Alan Ianson

On Fri May 9 2008 04:31:52 pm Frank McCormick wrote:
> Someone sent me an email which **appears* to be base64 encoded?
>

> here's the first few lines:
>
> --Boundary_(ID_lsgMnwyfMlYdcpjna13q/Q)
>
> U29tZSBSZWFsbHkgR3JlYXQgTW9tZW50cyBvZiBSYWRpbyB0aG lzIHdlZWsuIFdlIGhlYXJkIGZ
> b20gaW5zaWRlIEJ1cm1hIGEgUXVlYmVjZXIncyBmaXJzdCBoYW 5kIGFjY291bnQuIFdlIGxhdWd
> ZWQgb3ZlciB0aGUgVm9nZWwgZmFtaWx5J3Mgc3RpbGwgZHVyaW 5nIFByb2hpYml0aW9uIGFuZCB
>3
>

> It ends with :
>

> --Boundary_(ID_Ta8U5Dd8tk/FeCjCVPGiyw)--
>
> --Boundary_(ID_lsgMnwyfMlYdcpjna13q/Q)--
>

> Base64 doesn't know what to do with this file.
>
> Help anyone?

I used to do this manually quite some time ago. IIRC I used mpack/munpack but
I'm not certain of that now but you could try that and see.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:56 AM
Frank McCormick

On Fri, 09 May 2008 18:35:49 -0700
Alan Ianson <alianson@shaw.ca> wrote:

> On Fri May 9 2008 04:31:52 pm Frank McCormick wrote:
> > Someone sent me an email which **appears* to be base64 encoded?
> >

> > here's the first few lines:
> >
> > --Boundary_(ID_lsgMnwyfMlYdcpjna13q/Q)
> >
> > U29tZSBSZWFsbHkgR3JlYXQgTW9tZW50cyBvZiBSYWRpbyB0aG lzIHdlZWsuIFdlIGhlYXJkIGZ
>
> I used to do this manually quite some time ago. IIRC I used
> mpack/munpack but I'm not certain of that now but you could try that and
> see.

Nope. munpack says nothing to decode. This mail came from a Groupwise
mail server. Normally this person does not send out
encoded mail ..I am beginning to wonder whether she did something to it by
accident.

--
Frank McCormick debian@videotron.ca

Old 05-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-10-2008, 04:08 AM
"Mumia W.."

Someone sent me an email which **appears* to be base64 encoded?

here's the first few lines:

- --Boundary_(ID_lsgMnwyfMlYdcpjna13q/Q)

U29tZSBSZWFsbHkgR3JlYXQgTW9tZW50cyBvZiBSYWRpbyB0aG lzIHdlZWsuIFdlIGhlYXJkIGZy
b20gaW5zaWRlIEJ1cm1hIGEgUXVlYmVjZXIncyBmaXJzdCBoYW 5kIGFjY291bnQuIFdlIGxhdWdo
ZWQgb3ZlciB0aGUgVm9nZWwgZmFtaWx5J3Mgc3RpbGwgZHVyaW 5nIFByb2hpYml0aW9uIGFuZCB3

It ends with :

- --Boundary_(ID_Ta8U5Dd8tk/FeCjCVPGiyw)--

Huh?

That's not the right boundary. Below is the right boundary.

- --Boundary_(ID_lsgMnwyfMlYdcpjna13q/Q)--

Base64 doesn't know what to do with this file.

Of course not. Base64 expects each message part to have a beginning and
an end, and message parts cannot (AFAIK) be interleaved.

Help anyone?

I suspect that whatever software created the message is broken. Delete
the spurious message boundary line and decode using munpack or another
Base64 decoder. Since that is a private message to you, I won't ask you
to send it to me, but I am curious...

Old 05-10-2008, 07:11 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Frank McCormick wrote:

Someone sent me an email which **appears* to be base64 encoded?

here's the first few lines:

- --Boundary_(ID_lsgMnwyfMlYdcpjna13q/Q)

U29tZSBSZWFsbHkgR3JlYXQgTW9tZW50cyBvZiBSYWRpbyB0aG lzIHdlZWsuIFdlIGhlYXJkIGZy
b20gaW5zaWRlIEJ1cm1hIGEgUXVlYmVjZXIncyBmaXJzdCBoYW 5kIGFjY291bnQuIFdlIGxhdWdo
ZWQgb3ZlciB0aGUgVm9nZWwgZmFtaWx5J3Mgc3RpbGwgZHVyaW 5nIFByb2hpYml0aW9uIGFuZCB3

It ends with :

- --Boundary_(ID_Ta8U5Dd8tk/FeCjCVPGiyw)--

- --Boundary_(ID_lsgMnwyfMlYdcpjna13q/Q)--

Base64 doesn't know what to do with this file.

Help anyone?

Prepend the line "begin-base64 644 -" to your encoded text. Append the
line "====" and pipe it through `uudecode'

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Old 05-10-2008, 11:48 AM

Mumia W.. wrote:
| On 05/09/2008 06:31 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:
|>

|> Someone sent me an email which **appears* to be base64 encoded?
|>

|> here's the first few lines:
|>
|> - --Boundary_(ID_lsgMnwyfMlYdcpjna13q/Q)

U29tZSBSZWFsbHkgR3JlYXQgTW9tZW50cyBvZiBSYWRpbyB0aG lzIHdlZWsuIFdlIGhlYXJkIGZy

b20gaW5zaWRlIEJ1cm1hIGEgUXVlYmVjZXIncyBmaXJzdCBoYW 5kIGFjY291bnQuIFdlIGxhdWdo

ZWQgb3ZlciB0aGUgVm9nZWwgZmFtaWx5J3Mgc3RpbGwgZHVyaW 5nIFByb2hpYml0aW9uIGFuZCB3

|> It ends with :
|>

|> - --Boundary_(ID_Ta8U5Dd8tk/FeCjCVPGiyw)--
|>

| Huh?
|
| That's not the right boundary. Below is the right boundary.
|
|> - --Boundary_(ID_lsgMnwyfMlYdcpjna13q/Q)--
|>

|> Base64 doesn't know what to do with this file.
|>

| Of course not. Base64 expects each message part to have a beginning and
| an end, and message parts cannot (AFAIK) be interleaved.
|
|> Help anyone?
|>

| I suspect that whatever software created the message is broken. Delete
| the spurious message boundary line and decode using munpack or another
| Base64 decoder. Since that is a private message to you, I won't ask you
| to send it to me, but I am curious...

~ I'll try it when i get a chance.. but as I told Ron Johnson when I
exported it from Sylpheed and imported it into Thunderbird it all became
clear! I have no idea what went on. But I'll try your method.

Frank

- --

Old 05-10-2008, 11:54 AM

Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:

Frank McCormick wrote:

Someone sent me an email which **appears* to be base64 encoded?

here's the first few lines:

- --Boundary_(ID_lsgMnwyfMlYdcpjna13q/Q)

U29tZSBSZWFsbHkgR3JlYXQgTW9tZW50cyBvZiBSYWRpbyB0aG lzIHdlZWsuIFdlIGhlYXJkIGZy

b20gaW5zaWRlIEJ1cm1hIGEgUXVlYmVjZXIncyBmaXJzdCBoYW 5kIGFjY291bnQuIFdlIGxhdWdo

ZWQgb3ZlciB0aGUgVm9nZWwgZmFtaWx5J3Mgc3RpbGwgZHVyaW 5nIFByb2hpYml0aW9uIGFuZCB3

It ends with :

- --Boundary_(ID_Ta8U5Dd8tk/FeCjCVPGiyw)--

- --Boundary_(ID_lsgMnwyfMlYdcpjna13q/Q)--

Base64 doesn't know what to do with this file.

Help anyone?

Prepend the line "begin-base64 644 -" to your encoded text. Append the
line "====" and pipe it through `uudecode'

That also did it. Came out like the message imported into Thunderbird
came out. T'bird must automatically uudecode stuff.

Thanks

Cheers

Frank

Old 05-10-2008, 01:38 PM