Old 05-10-2008, 12:51 AM
Lee Glidewell

Default touchpad problem

I've been running Ubuntu on my laptop for some time, mainly because it doesn't
require much fussing with power-saving and wireless settings that make
laptops more difficult. With Ubuntu development continuing to depart from
what I want or need, and with the advent of iwlwifi (the card is a 3945ABG),
I decided to give Testing another shot.

I only ran into one problem that I couldn't solve quickly. The touchpad's
scroll area wouldn't function. I added the usual parameters for the touchpad
to xorg.conf (including "SHMConfig" = "on"), but this made no difference.
What's more, when I tried to run GSynaptics, it repeatedly told me to enable
shared memory, despite the fact that I had already done what I thought was
required for that. (i.e, setting SHMConfig to "on" or "true" and restarting
X).

Anyway, I have a feeling this was a fluke, since the last time I tried Lenny
on this machine, the touchpad worked as expected. The same is true with the
most recent Sidux live CD. This was last week's snapshot, fwiw.

Any hints or suggestions are much appreciated. I've partimaged my old
installation back onto the laptop in the meantime, but I plan to try to
install Lenny again soon, and it would be very helpful to have some idea what
to do if I run into this again. TIA.

Lee