-   -   vmware questions (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/85267-vmware-questions.html)

"John O Laoi" 05-09-2008 10:13 PM

vmware questions

Hi,

I am running debian etch on a dell
laptop which is dual boot with XP.

I rarely, if ever, use XP.

However, I now need to use an
application, as part of a course I am doing,

which only runs on Windows.

So, I've decided to put vmware on etch
and run XP from that.

(I know about WINE, but I'd prefer to
go the vmware route, as I want to get familiar with vmware.)

I've googled and seen some articles on
installing vmware-server and vmware-tools.

My work has a vmware image of XP which
I can use.

(We also have a vmware licence.)

However, I think that it might be
better if I proceed by

(1) creating a vmware image of my
existing XP, (as it has all of the drivers etc. for my hardware.)

(2) putting that vmware image on etch

(3) install vmware on etch

(4) reformat the XP partitions, and
use them for etch.

Some questions:

anybody got any links on how to
achieve (1) above

What vmware software should I
install? I see that there is vmware-desktop, wmware-player,
vmware-server etc. and I'm confused. Any good links on how to
install this?

How will I get that vmware to open
the XP image � is it just a matter of File|Open?

I see that there is no debian
package for vmware. Will installing it interfere with aptitude?

Thanks in advance

John

NN_il_Confusionario 05-09-2008 10:57 PM

vmware questions

> * From: "John O Laoi" <brianolaoi@gmail.com>
> So, I've decided to put vmware on etch and run XP from that.
> (I know about WINE, but I'd prefer to go the vmware route, as I want to get familiar with
> vmware.)

have you considered also virtualbox-ose (which ia available as debian
package; form backports.org if you use etch) ?

Truly free, no licence questions, much less kernel modules compiling
problems, official virtualbox documentation about migrating from a
"real" installation to a virtual one. (However for this virtualization
step I am told that there exist for vmware an executable which claims to
"automatically" do the job)

Alex Samad 05-09-2008 11:05 PM

vmware questions

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 11:13:58PM +0100, John O Laoi wrote:
> Hi,

[snip]

> However, I think that it might be better if I proceed by
>
> (1) creating a vmware image of my existing XP, (as it has all of the drivers
> etc. for my hardware.)

vmware presents a different hardware to the vm than whats is on
your machine (becareful about drive controllers)

> (2) putting that vmware image on etch

vmware has some tool for converting a pc/server into a vm image. I
would probably install a new copy

> (3) install vmware on etch
>
> (4) reformat the XP partitions, and use them for etch.

you can if you want run vmware against a native/raw partition, ie leave
XP on the partition and hand it over to vmware as a raw partition. the
only problem is the change in hardware between linux/vmware/xp and
straight xp

> Some questions:
>
> 1.
>
> anybody got any links on how to achieve (1) above
> 2.
>
> What vmware software should I install? I see that there is
> vmware-desktop, wmware-player, vmware-server etc. and I'm confused. Any good
> links on how to install this?
> 3.
>
> How will I get that vmware to open the XP image ? is it just a matter of
> File|Open?
> 4.
>
> I see that there is no debian package for vmware. Will installing it
> interfere with aptitude?
open aptitude, press L for limit and type in vmware. Work you way from
there. also you might want module assist.

There has been some issues with building the raw vmware-kernel-source,
so you might need to use the any-any package

--
When the lodge meeting broke up, Meyer confided to a friend.
"Abe, I'm in a terrible pickle! I'm strapped for cash and I haven't

"Damon L. Chesser" 05-09-2008 11:59 PM

vmware questions

John O Laoi wrote:

[...]

get the .rpm. Install kernel-package and alien. alien -c vmware.rpm <<as
root (I think)

it will make a vmware.deb. Install with dpkg -i vmware.deb <<as root

run vmware-config.pl <<as root

This has always worked for me, no compilation isssues, no any-any-patches.

I have tried this on vmserver and vmworkstation 6~.

you can not legally download a vm of xp and run it (or rather the person
providing the vm can't do it). If you have a corp. vm image, then you
are golden. If you have XP install media, you can legally install it (MS
treats vm machines the same as physical, you have to have the license
for it and you can only use it once (or one at a time if you uninstall
it/delete the vm)

HTH

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

Carl Fink 05-10-2008 05:05 AM

vmware questions

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 11:13:58PM +0100, John O Laoi wrote:

[snip]

> However, I now need to use an application, as part of a course I am doing,
>
> which only runs on Windows.
>

> So, I've decided to put vmware on etch and run XP from that.

Exactly what I did (except on Lenny).

[snip]

> However, I think that it might be better if I proceed by
>
> (1) creating a vmware image of my existing XP, (as it has all of the drivers
> etc. for my hardware.)

Your hardware is not relevant. VMWare fakes up different hardware for
guests. This will mean that you'll have to activate Windows again.

[snip]

> anybody got any links on how to achieve (1) above

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

Converter is dead easy. Just ignore the program's insistence that you boot
off a separate CD-ROM and go ahead and install it.

> 2.
>
> What vmware software should I install? I see that there is
> vmware-desktop, wmware-player, vmware-server etc. and I'm confused. Any good
> links on how to install this?

VMWare Workstation.

> 3.
>
> How will I get that vmware to open the XP image ? is it just a matter of
> File|Open?

On my box I used "vmplayer WinXPHome/WinXPHome.vmx"

> 4.
>
> I see that there is no debian package for vmware. Will installing it
> interfere with aptitude?

No, it won't. It isn't packaged because it isn't Free Software, but the
installer works fine under Lenny, at least.

It works great for me. I've also got VirtualBox going on another computer,
and that also works and DOES have a Debian package, if you prefer.
--
Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Chris 05-11-2008 04:39 PM

vmware questions

On Saturday 10 May 2008, Carl Fink wrote:
> On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 11:13:58PM +0100, John O Laoi wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > However, I now need to use an application, as part of a course I am
> > doing,
> >
> > which only runs on Windows.
> >

> > So, I've decided to put vmware on etch and run XP from that.
>
> Exactly what I did (except on Lenny).
>
> [snip]
>
> > However, I think that it might be better if I proceed by
> >
> > (1) creating a vmware image of my existing XP, (as it has all of the
> > drivers etc. for my hardware.)
>
> Your hardware is not relevant. VMWare fakes up different hardware for
> guests. This will mean that you'll have to activate Windows again.
>
> [snip]
>
> > anybody got any links on how to achieve (1) above
>
> http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/
>
> Converter is dead easy. Just ignore the program's insistence that you boot
> off a separate CD-ROM and go ahead and install it.
>
> > 2.
> >
> > What vmware software should I install? I see that there is
> > vmware-desktop, wmware-player, vmware-server etc. and I'm confused.
> > Any good links on how to install this?
>
> VMWare Workstation.
>
> > 3.
> >
> > How will I get that vmware to open the XP image ? is it just a matter
> > of File|Open?
>
> On my box I used "vmplayer WinXPHome/WinXPHome.vmx"
>
> > 4.
> >
> > I see that there is no debian package for vmware. Will installing it
> > interfere with aptitude?
>
> No, it won't. It isn't packaged because it isn't Free Software, but the
> installer works fine under Lenny, at least.
>
> It works great for me. I've also got VirtualBox going on another computer,
> and that also works and DOES have a Debian package, if you prefer.
> --
> Carl Fink nitpicking@nitpicking.com
>
> Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com. Reviews! Observations!
> Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Having used both: how would you rate VMware vs. VirtualBox for running the
occasional Windows program in a Guest system? I've been using VMware Player
for quite a while now an been quite impressed with it.

Chris

--
C. Hurschler

Carl Fink 05-11-2008 05:03 PM

vmware questions

On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 06:39:53PM +0200, Chris wrote:
> On Saturday 10 May 2008, Carl Fink wrote:

> Having used both: how would you rate VMware vs. VirtualBox for running the
> occasional Windows program in a Guest system? I've been using VMware Player
> for quite a while now an been quite impressed with it.

VMWare was (for me) somewhat easier to set up, because of Converter. They
both work well. (I have them on different computers.) I like the VirtualBox
interface better, and it seems to perform better when a Windows application
is doing heavy I/O, but that might be an artifact of running it on a
somewhat faster computer. VBox handles full-screen better.

As I posted here, I couldn't make booting off the Windows DVD work propertly
in VirtualBox.

In practice they're very similar programs and either is more than adequate.

Note: theoretically Converter images can work with VirtualBox, but it did
not actually work correctly in my one trial.