Old 05-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Alan Ianson

Default Debian-User To UseNet Reliability?

On Fri May 9 2008 06:51:16 am Doug Mitton wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> I have been following Debian User for a long time now, via the UseNet
> group. Lately I have replied to an issue or 2 (via the mailing list) but
> not all responses seem to make it to the UseNet.

I haven't used usenet newsgroups in a long time but when I did I found they
could be spotty.

> Are there any others who access it this way and have you noticed missing
> posts ... or is this possibly a problem with my usenet server?

Check the list archives and see if your posts are there to be sure..

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/

> (This is such a high volume mailing list that the UseNet access is a nice
> alternative to a full mailbox all the time.)

I subscribe to the list and use kmail and set it up to put each mailing list
in it's own folder.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:31 AM
"s. keeling"

Doug Mitton <doug_mitton@hotmail.com>:

> I have been following Debian User for a long time now, via the
> UseNet group. Lately I have replied to an issue or 2 (via the
> mailing list) but not all responses seem to make it to the UseNet.

Tried playing with the test groups? I use a free connection from
nntp.aioe.org, and I've seen nothing untoward.

> Are there any others who access it this way and have you noticed
> missing posts ... or is this possibly a problem with my usenet
> server?

bofh.it gets borked from time to time, but those are soon sorted out.
Other than that, it just works. I prefer slrn with its
filtering/Scoring for usenet available lists.

You might want to also subscribe to whitelist@lists.debian.org - that
might help. You are posting from hotmail, after all. :-P

Old 05-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Doug Mitton

I have been following Debian User for a long time now, via the
UseNet group. Lately I have replied to an issue or 2 (via the
mailing list) but not all responses seem to make it to the UseNet.

Tried playing with the test groups? I use a free connection from
nntp.aioe.org, and I've seen nothing untoward.

Yes, I test my connection via the test groups a few times a week.
You'll se "Mitton" all over alt.test in particular.

Are there any others who access it this way and have you noticed
missing posts ... or is this possibly a problem with my usenet
server?

bofh.it gets borked from time to time, but those are soon sorted out.
Other than that, it just works. I prefer slrn with its
filtering/Scoring for usenet available lists.

I've been using Agent for a very long time and I'm just plain used to
navigating with it ... it works well for me. I try the newest versions

of the native clients but I keep going back to Agent ... for now at least.

You might want to also subscribe to whitelist@lists.debian.org - that
might help. You are posting from hotmail, after all. :-P

Well, I'm not really posting from HotMail, I just use that identity when I
post from Pine (or Agent via email) I don't like to use a "good" email
address on UseNet ... and you have to have a real one to get into this
mailing list. When I post directly to UseNet I use this hotmail address
and "obfuscate" it.

I'll have to look into what "whitelist" actually is.

Thanks!

Old 05-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-10-2008, 03:39 PM
"s. keeling"

Doug Mitton <doug_mitton@hotmail.com>:

> address on UseNet ... and you have to have a real one to get into this
> mailing list.

You don't have to be subscribed to post. I'm not.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Doug Mitton