Old 05-09-2008, 03:35 PM
ChadDavis

Default bigmem kernel 2.6.24-1

When I run the bigmem version of the 2.6.24-1 kernel, my machine slows to a crawl.* It does actually run, but it's shockingly slow.* 5-10 minutes to boot, 5 minutes to login.* Then it runs like a Windows machine after that.*

I don't really need to fix this because I can fall back to the normal version of the kernel, which runs great.*

I'm just interested in what kinds of differences there could be between the bigmem version of the kernel and the standard kernel?* Is it just configuration, or is does it actually have some different parts?

Old 05-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-09-2008, 07:37 PM
ChadDavis

There was a similar email to list a few months ago. *IIRC, someone

had the solution. *Google should find the thread.

Yes.* I tried to search for this.* And nothing.* Any search terms suggestsions, other than:

debian bigmem kernel linux

etc.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

ChadDavis wrote:

There was a similar email to list a few months ago. IIRC, someone
had the solution. Google should find the thread.

Yes. I tried to search for this. And nothing. Any search terms
suggestsions, other than:

debian bigmem kernel linux

With

site:lists.debian.org kernel 2.6.24 slow

the following can be found:

Jörg-Volker.