Old 05-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Alex Samad

Default framebuffer + nvidia

Hi

recently got a new laptop, with a nvidia gpu. I have installed the
nvidia driver for X. But I also like using the vt's as well.

How do I drive them in a high mode the 80x40 and can I use frame buffers
at the same time as using the nvidia driver for X

alex

--
"We've tripled the amount of money -- I believe it's from $50 million up to $195 million available."

- George W. Bush
03/23/2002
Lima, Peru

Old 05-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Olaf Leidinger

Hi!

AFAIK the nvidia fb and X driver don't work well together. You'd better
use the vesa fb driver.

Ciao,
Olaf

--
/************************************************** **********
* Olaf Leidinger <oleid@lusi.uni-sb.de>

Old 05-09-2008, 01:47 AM
Alan Ianson

On Thu May 8 2008 03:11:40 pm Alex Samad wrote:
> Hi
>
> recently got a new laptop, with a nvidia gpu. I have installed the
> nvidia driver for X. But I also like using the vt's as well.
>
> How do I drive them in a high mode the 80x40 and can I use frame buffers
> at the same time as using the nvidia driver for X

I append vga=789 to my kernel line in grub's menu.lst file to get a 800x600 (I
think) terminal. I don't use anything graphical though in a terminal so I
don't know if that will do what you want but it would be easy to try.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Chris Bannister

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 08:11:40AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> Hi
>
> recently got a new laptop, with a nvidia gpu. I have installed the
> nvidia driver for X. But I also like using the vt's as well.
>
> How do I drive them in a high mode the 80x40 and can I use frame buffers
> at the same time as using the nvidia driver for X

Use vga=791 as a kernel option in /boot/grub/menu.lst

--
Chris.
======

Old 05-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Alex Samad

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 09:38:41PM +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 08:11:40AM +1000, Alex Samad wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > recently got a new laptop, with a nvidia gpu. I have installed the
> > nvidia driver for X. But I also like using the vt's as well.
> >
> > How do I drive them in a high mode the 80x40 and can I use frame buffers
> > at the same time as using the nvidia driver for X
>
> Use vga=791 as a kernel option in /boot/grub/menu.lst

I have put in 792, seems to work