FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Kevin Mark
 
Default migrating Debian GNU/Linux Etch to second SATA drive

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 11:12:30PM +0200, Paul Csanyi wrote:
> Hello!
>
> cd /
> mount -t ext3 /dev/discs/disc1/part1 /mnt
> # this is the / partition of the sdb
> mount -t ext3 /dev/discs/disc1/part2 /mnt/usr
> # this is the /usr partition of the sdb
> mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
> mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
> mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
> chroot /mnt /bin/bash
>

>
> But, I can't to install grub to boot sdb root from the sda MBR.
>
> Any advices will be appreciated!
>

Is the partition mounted rw ?
-K
--
| .'`. == Debian GNU/Linux == | my web site: |
| : :' : The Universal |mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/|
| `. `' Operating System | go to counter.li.org and |
| `- http://www.debian.org/ | be counted! #238656 |
| my keyserver: subkeys.pgp.net | my NPO: cfsg.org |
|join the new debian-community.org to help Debian! |
|_______ Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-09-2008, 02:52 AM
NN_il_Confusionario
 
Default migrating Debian GNU/Linux Etch to second SATA drive

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 11:12:30PM +0200, Paul Csanyi wrote:
> Error: /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/disc does not have any
> corresponding BIOS drive.

is /etc/mtab correct ?

is /boot/grub/device.map (which might be created by grub-install by
reading /etc/mtab) correct ?

have you searched google

Linkname: grub error does not have any corresponding BIOS drive - Google Search
URL:
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=grub+error+does+not+have+any+corresponding+BIO S+drive&btnG=Search

?

--
Chi usa software non libero avvelena anche te. Digli di smettere.
Informatica=arsenico: minime dosi in rari casi patologici, altrimenti letale.
Informatica=bomba: intelligente solo per gli stupidi che ci credono.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Paul Csanyi
 
Default migrating Debian GNU/Linux Etch to second SATA drive

Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> writes:

> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 11:12:30PM +0200, Paul Csanyi wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> cd /
>> mount -t ext3 /dev/discs/disc1/part1 /mnt
>> # this is the / partition of the sdb
>> mount -t ext3 /dev/discs/disc1/part2 /mnt/usr
>> # this is the /usr partition of the sdb
>> mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
>> mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
>> mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
>> chroot /mnt /bin/bash
>>
>
>>
>> But, I can't to install grub to boot sdb root from the sda MBR.
>>
>> Any advices will be appreciated!
>>
>
> Is the partition mounted rw ?

Which partition?
nano /etc/mtab

...
/dev/sdb1 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0

Did you mean this abowe?
This is the:
/dev/discs/disc1/part1

mounted as /mnt

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi
http://www.freewebs.com/csanyi-pal/index.htm


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Paul Csanyi
 
Default migrating Debian GNU/Linux Etch to second SATA drive

NN_il_Confusionario <pinkof.pallus@tiscalinet.it> writes:

> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 11:12:30PM +0200, Paul Csanyi wrote:
>> Error: /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/disc does not have any
>> corresponding BIOS drive.
>
> is /etc/mtab correct ?
>
> is /boot/grub/device.map (which might be created by grub-install by
> reading /etc/mtab) correct ?

Yes, it is:
nano /etc/mtab

...
/dev/sdb1 / ext3 rw,error=remount-ro 0 0

> have you searched google
>
> Linkname: grub error does not have any corresponding BIOS drive
> - Google Search
> URL:
>
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=grub+error+does+not
+have+any+corresponding+BIOS+drive&btnG=Search
>
> ?

I checked /boot/grub/device.map:
(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/sdb

I edited menu.lst:
# kopt=root=/dev/sdb1 ro

# groot=(hd1,0)

I run grub-install with --recheck option.

Still I have no success.

I boot the Debian Etch system from the sda, and check the /boot/grub/
directory of the Debian Etch system from the sdb. There I find strange
situation. The /boot/grub/ directory contain another /boot directory
with grub/. I removed this second boot/grub/ directory.

This must be the case because when I tried to run grub-install I tried
also to reinstall grub with aptitude reinstall grub..

I shall reboot to see how it works the grub-install now.

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi
http://www.freewebs.com/csanyi-pal/index.htm


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Paul Csanyi
 
Default migrating Debian GNU/Linux Etch to second SATA drive

Paul Csanyi <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

> NN_il_Confusionario <pinkof.pallus@tiscalinet.it> writes:
>
>> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 11:12:30PM +0200, Paul Csanyi wrote:
>>> Error: /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/disc does not have any
>>> corresponding BIOS drive.
>>
>> is /etc/mtab correct ?
>>
>> is /boot/grub/device.map (which might be created by grub-install by
>> reading /etc/mtab) correct ?
>
> Yes, it is:
> nano /etc/mtab
>
> ...
> /dev/sdb1 / ext3 rw,error=remount-ro 0 0
>
>> have you searched google
>>
>> Linkname: grub error does not have any corresponding BIOS drive
>> - Google Search
>> URL:
>>
> http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=grub+error+does+not
> +have+any+corresponding+BIOS+drive&btnG=Search
>>
>> ?
>
> I checked /boot/grub/device.map:
> (hd0) /dev/sda
> (hd1) /dev/sdb
>
> I edited menu.lst:
> # kopt=root=/dev/sdb1 ro
>
> # groot=(hd1,0)
>
> I run grub-install with --recheck option.
>
> Still I have no success.
>
> I boot the Debian Etch system from the sda, and check the /boot/grub/
> directory of the Debian Etch system from the sdb. There I find strange
> situation. The /boot/grub/ directory contain another /boot directory
> with grub/. I removed this second boot/grub/ directory.
>
> This must be the case because when I tried to run grub-install I tried
> also to reinstall grub with aptitude reinstall grub..
>
> I shall reboot to see how it works the grub-install now.

No success.

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi
http://www.freewebs.com/csanyi-pal/index.htm


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Paul Csanyi
 
Default migrating Debian GNU/Linux Etch to second SATA drive

Paul Csanyi <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:

> Paul Csanyi <csanyipal@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> NN_il_Confusionario <pinkof.pallus@tiscalinet.it> writes:
>>
>>> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 11:12:30PM +0200, Paul Csanyi wrote:
>>>> Error: /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/disc does not have any
>>>> corresponding BIOS drive.
>>>
>>> is /etc/mtab correct ?
>>>
>>> is /boot/grub/device.map (which might be created by grub-install by
>>> reading /etc/mtab) correct ?
>>
>> Yes, it is:
>> nano /etc/mtab
>>
>> ...
>> /dev/sdb1 / ext3 rw,error=remount-ro 0 0
>>
>>> have you searched google
>>>
>>> Linkname: grub error does not have any corresponding BIOS drive
>>> - Google Search
>>> URL:
>>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=grub+error+does+not
>> +have+any+corresponding+BIOS+drive&btnG=Search
>>>
>>> ?
>>
>> I checked /boot/grub/device.map:
>> (hd0) /dev/sda
>> (hd1) /dev/sdb
>>
>> I edited menu.lst:
>> # kopt=root=/dev/sdb1 ro
>>
>> # groot=(hd1,0)
>>
>> I run grub-install with --recheck option.
>>
>> Still I have no success.
>>
>> I boot the Debian Etch system from the sda, and check the /boot/grub/
>> directory of the Debian Etch system from the sdb. There I find strange
>> situation. The /boot/grub/ directory contain another /boot directory
>> with grub/. I removed this second boot/grub/ directory.
>>
>> This must be the case because when I tried to run grub-install I tried
>> also to reinstall grub with aptitude reinstall grub..
>>
>> I shall reboot to see how it works the grub-install now.
>
> No success.

At last I have success!

I don't use grub-install command but run grub on the command line,
and:
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

Success!!

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi
http://www.freewebs.com/csanyi-pal/index.htm


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-09-2008, 08:41 PM
 
Default migrating Debian GNU/Linux Etch to second SATA drive

I am not sure if I understood you correctly, so please correct me if
I am

wrong, but I assume:

* you have basically moved all needed partitions for a full Debian
system from

one disk to another,

* and now you want to install GRUB to this second disk so that GRUB
can boot
from that disk (and you can eventually remove the old disk from
the system).


Can you still (temporarily) boot from your first disk where GRUB is
still
installed? You don't need to be able to boot Debian from the old
disk, you
just need a working GRUB install there. Does GRUB display a menu when
you boot

from your old disk?

Then you can use the GRUB shell, and within the GRUB shell you can
run several

commands to install GRUB to the second, new hard disk.

You get to the GRUB shell by pressing the "c" key when GRUB displays
the menu.
(Maybe you have to press "Esc" first, I am not sure and can't try it
now.)


Let me know if this would work for you, then I could tell you more
about which

commands to run in the GRUB shell.

Am 2008-05-08 um 23:12 schrieb Paul Csanyi:


Hello!

I tried to migrating from the first to second SATA drive My Debian
Etch OS with Gparted.

I copied the /, /usr, /var, swap, /tmp, /home partitions of the system
to the second SATA: sdb with Gparted.

Then I tried to set up grub to boot this Debian system from the first
SATA drive sda, and did the following:

- boot the install CD of the Etch Netinstall
- at prompt use expert
- ...
- detecting disks
- did not disk partition
- run a shell

Here I follow the mini howto:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reinstalling_GRUB

cd /
mount -t ext3 /dev/discs/disc1/part1 /mnt
# this is the / partition of the sdb
mount -t ext3 /dev/discs/disc1/part2 /mnt/usr
# this is the /usr partition of the sdb
mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
chroot /mnt /bin/bash

grub-install /dev/sda

Error: /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/disc does not have any
corresponding BIOS drive.

I can't here as root to use nano because of the bterm error. I did the
following to get some editor, namely mcedit:

TERM=xterm
export TERM
mcedit /etc/fstab

I can to use here mcedit, but with difficulties. Still can to edit
fstab, however.

But, I can't to install grub to boot sdb root from the sda MBR.

Any advices will be appreciated!


--
Regards, Paul Csanyi
http://www.freewebs.com/csanyi-pal/index.htm


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
listmaster@lists.debian.org



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-09-2008, 08:51 PM
 
Default migrating Debian GNU/Linux Etch to second SATA drive

Am 2008-05-09 um 22:13 schrieb Paul Csanyi:

At last I have success!

I don't use grub-install command but run grub on the command line,
and:
grub> root (hd1,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit


OK, I hadn't seen this last message from you when I wrote mine, but I
see that

you have had success with exactly what I was going to suggest to you.

I am just wondering if you are aware that you still need your first disk
installed to boot the second. So far, GRUB is not installed on the
second
disk, so if your first disk breaks, you will not (easily) be able to
boot from
the second disk. I am not sure about what you are doing with those
two disks,
but maybe it is wise to install GRUB also to the second disk, in case
you

remove the first one at some point. (Or you could directly boot from the
second disk.)

By the way, if you have a floppy drive, you can install GRUB on a
floppy, too,
then you have a GRUB emergency disk which lets you perform operation
such as
those you described (in the GRUB shell) (for cases of drive failure
etc.).


-Moritz


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-10-2008, 04:57 AM
Paul Csanyi
 
Default migrating Debian GNU/Linux Etch to second SATA drive

hh.eu@gmx.de writes:

> I am not sure if I understood you correctly, so please correct me if
> I am wrong, but I assume:
>
> * you have basically moved all needed partitions for a full Debian
> system from one disk to another,

That is correct. I copied all Debian partition from sda to sdb with
Gparted live CD.

> * and now you want to install GRUB to this second disk so that GRUB
> can boot from that disk (and you can eventually remove the old disk
> from the system).

No. I want to keep sda for the Windows XP. I want to install Grub on
this sda so I can to boot with it the Debian on the sdb.

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi
http://www.freewebs.com/csanyi-pal/index.htm


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 05-10-2008, 05:01 AM
Paul Csanyi
 
Default migrating Debian GNU/Linux Etch to second SATA drive

hh.eu@gmx.de writes:

> By the way, if you have a floppy drive, you can install GRUB on a
> floppy too, then you have a GRUB emergency disk which lets you
> perform operation such as those you described (in the GRUB shell)
> (for cases of drive failure etc.).
>
> -Moritz

That shall I to do, or maybe there is an alternative option, say to
install GRUB on the USB stick as emergency disk?

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi
http://www.freewebs.com/csanyi-pal/index.htm


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:19 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org