Old 05-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Paul Csanyi

Default migrating Debian GNU/Linux Etch to second SATA drive

Hello!

I tried to migrating from the first to second SATA drive My Debian
Etch OS with Gparted.

I copied the /, /usr, /var, swap, /tmp, /home partitions of the system
to the second SATA: sdb with Gparted.

Then I tried to set up grub to boot this Debian system from the first
SATA drive sda, and did the following:

- boot the install CD of the Etch Netinstall
- at prompt use expert
- ...
- detecting disks
- did not disk partition
- run a shell

Here I follow the mini howto:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reinstalling_GRUB

cd /
mount -t ext3 /dev/discs/disc1/part1 /mnt
# this is the / partition of the sdb
mount -t ext3 /dev/discs/disc1/part2 /mnt/usr
# this is the /usr partition of the sdb
mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
chroot /mnt /bin/bash

grub-install /dev/sda

Error: /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/disc does not have any
corresponding BIOS drive.

I can't here as root to use nano because of the bterm error. I did the
following to get some editor, namely mcedit:

TERM=xterm
export TERM
mcedit /etc/fstab

I can to use here mcedit, but with difficulties. Still can to edit
fstab, however.

But, I can't to install grub to boot sdb root from the sda MBR.

Any advices will be appreciated!

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi