Old 05-08-2008, 05:55 AM
"Jon L Miller"

Default upgrading hardware

I’m currently using Debian 4.0 and I would like to
know if I’m going to run into any gotchas if I change the main board from
a MSI w/ a single P4 CPU to a Core2 Duo CPU on a gigabyte main board?

*

Jon L Miller, CCNA, MCNE, CNS

MMT Networks Pty Ltd

Perth, Western Australia

Old 05-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 01:55:31PM +0800, Jon L Miller wrote:
> I'm currently using Debian 4.0 and I would like to know if I'm going to run
> into any gotchas if I change the main board from a MSI w/ a single P4 CPU to
> a Core2 Duo CPU on a gigabyte main board?

The default Debian kernel packages build a rather complete (and large!)
initrd which should run on a lot of machines without changes. You might
face some troubles with renaming of devices (HDDs) though so it would be
best to configure grub and fstab to use labels or UUIDs first (and also
rebuild your initrd).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 05-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 05-11-2008, 03:30 AM
Bob

Jon L Miller wrote:

I’m currently using Debian 4.0 and I would like to know if I’m going
to run into any gotchas if I change the main board from a MSI w/ a
single P4 CPU to a Core2 Duo CPU on a gigabyte main board?

I tell you what I do in a situation like this, just use dd to mirror the
drive onto a spare and try it.

It should be OK, and as Andrei said reconfiguring thing to use partition
labels will help.

This is the way I do it.

First Label all partitions for their mount point so label /home as
p_home, label / as p_root, label /var as p_var etc..

Read in /etc/fstab to identify partitions

with ext[23] partitions use
# e2label /dev/hdXX -L label
With xfs
# xfs_admin /dev/hdXX -L label
with jfs
# jfs_tune /dev/hdXX -L label

with swap use
# swapoff -av
# mkswap -L p_swap /dev/hdXX
# swapon /dev/hdXX

Now that you have labels on all your partitions, change the two files
like this

/boot/grub/menu.lst

from
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-k7 root=/dev/hda2 ro
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-k7 root=LABEL=p_root ro

And to change the default entry
# kopt=root=LABEL=p_root ro

Now edit /etc/fstab (just one example, the rest are similar):
from
/dev/hda3 /var ext3 defaults 0 2
LABEL=p_var /var ext3 defaults 0 2

Reboot and good luck