Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 PM
John Salmon

Default How do I install gdbm?

Which Debian Etch package do I use to install gdbm? Specifically, gdbm-
1.8.3.

--
John Salmon
salmonjj@comcast.net

Old 05-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Jonathan Kaye

John Salmon wrote:

> Which Debian Etch package do I use to install gdbm? Specifically, gdbm-
> 1.8.3.

The package is called libgdbm3 and Etch has version 1.8.3-3. So just install
it the normal way (aptitude/wajig/apt-get...)
Cheers,
Jonathan

Old 05-10-2008, 01:05 PM
John Salmon

Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@yahoo.es> wrote in

> John Salmon wrote:
>
>> Which Debian Etch package do I use to install gdbm? Specifically,
>> gdbm- 1.8.3.
>>
> The package is called libgdbm3 and Etch has version 1.8.3-3. So just
> install it the normal way (aptitude/wajig/apt-get...)
> Cheers,
> Jonathan

Many thanks for your response. As it turns out, the package was already
installed. I was looking in the wrong place.

Could you please tell me how you knew what to look for? I find the brief
descriptions in Aptitude somewhat cryptic. Is there some other way to
determine which package to use?

Again, thanks.

--
John Salmon
salmonjj@comcast.net

Old 05-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Jonathan Kaye

John Salmon wrote:

<snip>

> Many thanks for your response. As it turns out, the package was already
> installed. I was looking in the wrong place.
I'm glad to be of help.

> Could you please tell me how you knew what to look for? I find the brief
> descriptions in Aptitude somewhat cryptic. Is there some other way to
> determine which package to use?
I use the Debian package web page. You can search by package name or by
package contents. This is the page:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
There are other ways to do this but for me, this is the most convenient way.

> Again, thanks.
Again, my pleasure.
Cheers,
Jonathan