Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   How do I install gdbm? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/83719-how-do-i-install-gdbm.html)

John Salmon 05-07-2008 01:34 PM

How do I install gdbm?
 
Which Debian Etch package do I use to install gdbm? Specifically, gdbm-
1.8.3.

--
John Salmon
salmonjj@comcast.net
---- Posted via Pronews.com - Premium Corporate Usenet News Provider ----
http://www.pronews.com offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Jonathan Kaye 05-08-2008 02:37 PM

How do I install gdbm?
 
John Salmon wrote:

> Which Debian Etch package do I use to install gdbm? Specifically, gdbm-
> 1.8.3.
>
The package is called libgdbm3 and Etch has version 1.8.3-3. So just install
it the normal way (aptitude/wajig/apt-get...)
Cheers,
Jonathan
--
Registerd Linux user #445917 at http://counter.li.org/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

John Salmon 05-10-2008 01:05 PM

How do I install gdbm?
 
Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@yahoo.es> wrote in
news:arfs3-wC-25@gated-at.bofh.it:

> John Salmon wrote:
>
>> Which Debian Etch package do I use to install gdbm? Specifically,
>> gdbm- 1.8.3.
>>
> The package is called libgdbm3 and Etch has version 1.8.3-3. So just
> install it the normal way (aptitude/wajig/apt-get...)
> Cheers,
> Jonathan

Many thanks for your response. As it turns out, the package was already
installed. I was looking in the wrong place.

Could you please tell me how you knew what to look for? I find the brief
descriptions in Aptitude somewhat cryptic. Is there some other way to
determine which package to use?

Again, thanks.

--
John Salmon
salmonjj@comcast.net
---- Posted via Pronews.com - Premium Corporate Usenet News Provider ----
http://www.pronews.com offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Jonathan Kaye 05-10-2008 04:20 PM

How do I install gdbm?
 
John Salmon wrote:

<snip>
>
> Many thanks for your response. As it turns out, the package was already
> installed. I was looking in the wrong place.
I'm glad to be of help.
>
> Could you please tell me how you knew what to look for? I find the brief
> descriptions in Aptitude somewhat cryptic. Is there some other way to
> determine which package to use?
I use the Debian package web page. You can search by package name or by
package contents. This is the page:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
There are other ways to do this but for me, this is the most convenient way.
>
> Again, thanks.
Again, my pleasure.
Cheers,
Jonathan

--
Registerd Linux user #445917 at http://counter.li.org/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:14 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.