Old 05-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Jochen Schulz

Default swap partition question?

ISHWAR RATTAN:

> I have a 1Gb primary swap partition (/dev/sda1)
> and fdisk -l shows that. But the command
>
> # swapon /dev/sda1
>
> says that ..:/dev/sda1: is invalid argument.

Did you create a "swap filesystem" on the partition?

# mkswap /dev/sda1 && swapon -a

J.
--
I have never been happier than I am now; a fact which depresses me
immensely.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:35 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

> * From: ISHWAR RATTAN <rattan@cps.cmich.edu>
>I have a 1Gb primary swap partition (/dev/sda1)
>and fdisk -l shows that.

fdisk read the partition table from the disk, but the kernel data can be
seen in /proc/partitions (it is read at boot time)

> # swapon /dev/sda1
>says that ..:/dev/sda1: is invalid argument.

what about

file -s /dev/sda1

?

If "grep sda1 /proc/partitions" shows the expected result, try
mkswap /dev/sda1
before
swapon /dev/sda1