Old 05-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Gregory Seidman

Default Most inexpensive debian friendly laserjet printer? total cost of ownership including laserink?

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 12:58:25AM -0400, Mitchell Laks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tend to print out a lot of documentation on the software for projects
> that I work on. Therefore I go through alot of laserjet cartidges on my
> postscript compatible hp laserjet 1200 printer.
>
> My latest cartridge just needs to be replaced again.
>
> I am tired of paying so much money for the new laser ink cartiridges each time.
>
> I have read recently a wall street analyst say that
> 'consumers are stupid - they buy printers by the cost of hardware
> not total cost of ownership'.
>
> are there any truly cheaper approaches? Can we buy a postscript laserprinter
> that is not designed to use proprietary cartridges that we must
> buy from the company at inflated prices?
[...]

If you insist on laser, I got nothing. If you'll go inkjet, I can recommend
continuous flow systems. The idea is that you don't use the expensive, tiny
cartridges, but use large bottles of ink attached to the print head via
tubes instead. You can buy the ink in very large bottles, and at good
prices. I've been quite happy with mine. See
http://mediastreet.com/site/n2.html

> Mitchell
--Greg