Old 05-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Alex Samad

Default Booting kernel 2.6.25 from Debian40r3 prompts: Waiting for root file system

On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 11:35:29PM -0700, lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,

[snip]

> Under the (initramfs) prompt, the uname -r reports 2.6.25.
what is the output of cat /proc/partitions, can you see /dev/sda.
maybe the driver for you had is not in .25

> Thank you for your time.

"Every man has his price. Mine is $3.95."

Old 05-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Alex Samad

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 03:50:28AM -0700, lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com wrote:
> On May 4, 6:40*pm, Alex Samad <a...@samad.com.au> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 11:35:29PM -0700, lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Under the (initramfs) prompt, the uname -r reports 2.6.25.
> > what is the output of cat */proc/partitions, can you
> > see /dev/sda.
> > maybe the driver for you had is not in .25
> >

> Hi, this is the result,
>
> $ cat /proc/partitions
> major minor #blocks name
>
> 8 0 8388608 sda
> 8 1 273073 sda1
> 8 2 1 sda2
> 8 5 3060351 sda5
> 8 6 1477948 sda6
> 8 7 273073 sda7
> 8 8 265041 sda8
> 8 9 3036253 sda9
> $ ls -al /dev/sda
> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 2008-05-05 02:46 /dev/sda
> $

hi

was this done whilst trying to boot 2.6.25, if so mount /dev/sda1 and
exit out and initramfs should continue on its way

"We both use Colgate toothpaste."

- George W. Bush
02/23/2001
Camp David, MD
after a reporter asked what he had in common with British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Old 05-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Alex Samad

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 10:04:12AM -0700, lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com wrote:
> On May 5, 5:40 am, Alex Samad <a...@samad.com.au> wrote:
> > On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 03:50:28AM -0700, lovecreatesbea...@gmail.com wrote:
> > > $ cat /proc/partitions
> > > major minor #blocks name
> > > 8 0 8388608 sda
> > > 8 1 273073 sda1
> > > 8 2 1 sda2
> > > 8 5 3060351 sda5
> > > 8 6 1477948 sda6
> > > 8 7 273073 sda7
> > > 8 8 265041 sda8
> > > 8 9 3036253 sda9
> > > $ ls -al /dev/sda
> > > brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 0 2008-05-05 02:46 /dev/sda
> > > $
> > was this done whilst trying to boot 2.6.25, if so mount /dev/sda1 and
> > exit out and initramfs should continue on its way
>
> Did you mean I can run " $ mount /dev/sda1 / " if I had "sda" in the
> above record? In fact the above came with the 2.6.18. Sorry that I
> didn't state it clearly.
initramfs loads up a mini rootfs one of the directories is /rootfs (I
think, haven't looked at it in a while), this is the location that it
loads the root fs before doing a pivot root and then starting the
system.

> The result after I boot the new built 2.6.25 is below. How can I
> correct it? Thank you.
>
> (initramfs) cat /proc/partitions
> major minor #blocks name
>
> 1 0 4096 ram0
> 1 1 4096 ram0
> 1 2 4096 ram0
> 1 3 4096 ram0
>
> [output snipped]
>
> 1 15 4096 ram15
>
> (initramfs) ls /dev/sda
> ls: /dev/sda: No such file or directory
>
> (initramfs)

by the looks of it initrd can't see your hard drives, are the proper
modules loaded into initramfs ? try a lsmod and/or a ls -lR
/lib/modules/*, whilst in initrd

have a look in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
especially at
MODULES=most

maybe yours is set to dep and initramfs is getting it wrong, then
rebuild the initrd