Old 05-03-2008, 09:23 PM
"wa9als@gmail.com"

Default HELP - Can't boot - I/O error reading swsusp.image

Help! I rebooted my Etch server (was not having problems prior), and
it stops early with:

Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount . . .
kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/hda2) = hda2 (3,2)
kinit: trying to resume from /dev/hda2
Attempting manual resume
attempt to access beyond end of device
hda2: rw=16, want=8, limit=2
I/O error reading swsusp image.

/dev/hda2 is my swap partition

I'm a real newbie - What's the easiest way to get past this?

Thanks! - John

Old 05-04-2008, 01:41 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 05:23:46PM -0400, wa9als@gmail.com wrote:
> Help! I rebooted my Etch server (was not having problems prior), and
> it stops early with:
>
> Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount . . .
> kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/hda2) = hda2 (3,2)
> kinit: trying to resume from /dev/hda2
> Attempting manual resume
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> hda2: rw=16, want=8, limit=2
> I/O error reading swsusp image.
>
> /dev/hda2 is my swap partition
>
> I'm a real newbie - What's the easiest way to get past this?

Someone else just had a thread about problems with swsusp (suspend to
swap). You can search for that thread, but I'd suggest you boot with
the install CD in rescue mode, run a shell on your system, run aptitude
and remove swsusp. Then again, I never need to suspend.

Doug.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:46 AM
"wa9als@gmail.com"

On 5/3/08, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 05:23:46PM -0400, wa9als@gmail.com wrote:
> > Help! I rebooted my Etch server (was not having problems prior), and
> > it stops early with:
> >
> > Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount . . .
> > kinit: name_to_dev_t(/dev/hda2) = hda2 (3,2)
> > kinit: trying to resume from /dev/hda2
> > Attempting manual resume
> > attempt to access beyond end of device
> > hda2: rw=16, want=8, limit=2
> > I/O error reading swsusp image.
> >
> > /dev/hda2 is my swap partition
> >
> > I'm a real newbie - What's the easiest way to get past this?
>
> Someone else just had a thread about problems with swsusp (suspend to
> swap). You can search for that thread, but I'd suggest you boot with
> the install CD in rescue mode, run a shell on your system, run aptitude
> and remove swsusp. Then again, I never need to suspend.
>
> Doug.

Thanks. I'm not sure what happened, but I'll admit I was working in
KDE prior to my reboot. I didn't intentionally suspend, but
apparently something tried to do that!
-John

Old 05-04-2008, 06:49 AM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 05:23:46PM -0400, wa9als@gmail.com wrote:
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> hda2: rw=16, want=8, limit=2
> I/O error reading swsusp image.

one case where "access beyond end of device" can happen is this:

You delete a partition on a disk where also other partitions are used
(mounted, or used for swap).

Then, without rebooting, you recreate the partition but not with
_exactly_ the same starting and ending point (in this case, a ending
point which is before the previous one)

Again without rebooting, you start using the re-created partition. The
kernel sitll has in memory (and in /proc/partitions) the OLD starting
and ending points of the partition, so mkswap, mkfs*, whatever still use
the "old geometry".

Then you reboot, and at the reboot the kernel reads the new partition
table ...

Old 05-04-2008, 12:29 PM
"wa9als@gmail.com"

On 5/4/08, NN_il_Confusionario <pinkof.pallus@tiscalinet.it> wrote:
> On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 05:23:46PM -0400, wa9als@gmail.com wrote:
> > attempt to access beyond end of device
> > hda2: rw=16, want=8, limit=2
> > I/O error reading swsusp image.
>
> one case where "access beyond end of device" can happen is this:
>
> You delete a partition on a disk where also other partitions are used
> (mounted, or used for swap).
>
> Then, without rebooting, you recreate the partition but not with
> _exactly_ the same starting and ending point (in this case, a ending
> point which is before the previous one)
>
> Again without rebooting, you start using the re-created partition. The
> kernel sitll has in memory (and in /proc/partitions) the OLD starting
> and ending points of the partition, so mkswap, mkfs*, whatever still use
> the "old geometry".
>
> Then you reboot, and at the reboot the kernel reads the new partition
> table ...

This is a killer - I did a fresh etch install, then restored some
mondo backup files using mondorestore. Things ere mostly working at
that point. But then I did an update and upgrade, and now I am
getting the same swsusp error I had before and can't boot! I have no
idea where this is coming from! I guess I'll reformat my drive and
start over! - John

Old 05-04-2008, 12:58 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 08:29:31AM -0400, wa9als@gmail.com wrote:
> I did a fresh etch install, then restored some
> mondo backup files using mondorestore.

I do not use mondo; so I ask: are you sure that mondorestore does not
change the partition table? Are you sure that the files you restored are
not responsable for the apparence of swsusp in the boot process?

> that point. But then I did an update and upgrade, and now I am
> getting the same swsusp error I had before and can't boot!

check in the bootloader prompt the kernel command line. If there is
something related to resuming a suspended session, delete it. Also, boot
in single user mode or even with init=/bin/bash (and then "mount -o
remount,rw /") and purge any package related to swsusp ("apt-cache
search swsusp" gives me only the package uswsusp). If all seems to fail,
boot with a live cd (or the debian installation cd in rescue mode),
mount your disk, chroot where the disc is mounted, purge uswsusp, edit
the boot loader configuration (possibly menu.lst in /boot/grub/, but it
depends upon your boot loader), reinstall the kernel (to recreate the
initrd) and the boot loader

There is absolutely NO need to reinstall once again (unless you have
severely messed up your partition table and filesysetems, or things like
that).

Old 05-04-2008, 05:16 PM
"wa9als@gmail.com"

On 5/4/08, NN_il_Confusionario <pinkof.pallus@tiscalinet.it> wrote:
> On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 08:29:31AM -0400, wa9als@gmail.com wrote:
> > I did a fresh etch install, then restored some
> > mondo backup files using mondorestore.
>
> I do not use mondo; so I ask: are you sure that mondorestore does not
> change the partition table? Are you sure that the files you restored are
> not responsable for the apparence of swsusp in the boot process?

Yes, I'm sure mondorestore doesn't change the partitions (not using
the nuke option, just restoring files, and I've done that part before
successfully).

> > that point. But then I did an update and upgrade, and now I am
> > getting the same swsusp error I had before and can't boot!
>
> check in the bootloader prompt the kernel command line. If there is
> something related to resuming a suspended session, delete it. Also, boot
> in single user mode or even with init=/bin/bash (and then "mount -o
> remount,rw /") and purge any package related to swsusp ("apt-cache
> search swsusp" gives me only the package uswsusp). If all seems to fail,
> boot with a live cd (or the debian installation cd in rescue mode),
> mount your disk, chroot where the disc is mounted, purge uswsusp, edit
> the boot loader configuration (possibly menu.lst in /boot/grub/, but it
> depends upon your boot loader), reinstall the kernel (to recreate the
> initrd) and the boot loader
>
> There is absolutely NO need to reinstall once again (unless you have
> severely messed up your partition table and filesysetems, or things like
> that).

Thanks for options with swsusp. The partition table is definately
messed up. I should only have one ext3 and a swap partition, but
there is an additional partition that I don't understand at all.
Anyway, I am starting over this time. After the new install, I will
look for uswsusp and get rid of it to hopefully avoid problems in the
future. As far as the files I restored and how they might relate to
swsusp, I have no idea. I just know the server had none of these
problems for months, and now they show up. Unfortunately, I don't
know the key thing that happened. It should NOT have been related to
a file I restored anyway.

Since I'm starting over, let's drop this thread. Hopefully I won't be
back, but I will if swsusp shows up again! - John