Old 05-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Jan Schmitt

Default sync ftp-folders (rsync?)

Hi,

I want to sync my Pocket PC with etch, and I have all data on a storage
card. So I want to run an ftp-server an the Pocket PC (I use a
network-card) or simply sync via cardreader, because this is more
"universal", easier and more reliable than using something like synce,
and I don't want to sync contacts, appointments etc. On Pocket PC-side
it's no problem for me, but which is the best program in etch for doing
this? I think once I used rsync, but this is long ago. Before setting up
everything I want to make sure if rsync is still state of the art or if
in the meantime any better program was released. I don't want to use any
non-etch/testing/unstable program.
Thanks in advance!
J. Schmitt

Old 05-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Matthew Moore

On Saturday 03 May 2008 04:44:16 am Jan Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to sync my Pocket PC with etch, and I have all data on a storage
> card. So I want to run an ftp-server an the Pocket PC (I use a
> network-card) or simply sync via cardreader, because this is more
> "universal", easier and more reliable than using something like synce,
> and I don't want to sync contacts, appointments etc. On Pocket PC-side
> it's no problem for me, but which is the best program in etch for doing
> this? I think once I used rsync, but this is long ago. Before setting up
> everything I want to make sure if rsync is still state of the art or if
> in the meantime any better program was released. I don't want to use any
> non-etch/testing/unstable program.
> Thanks in advance!
> J. Schmitt

rsync is good for unidirectional movements. That is, rsync is useful for
making a backup of some data and then updating that backup when something
changes.

If you need something that tracks changes and shares changes between multiple
copies of the data you should try unison (it uses the rsync algorithm).

MM